• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

[Game] Amnesia: The Dark Descent

Played it, completed it, shat my self plenty and clenched pretty much throughout. Loved it!

There's hardly any good horror games out now.

Dead space, Resident Evil, Condemned and the newer silent hill games are flippin' jokes. And it makes me laugh how people keep marketing them as the SCARIEST EXPERIENCE EVER. Those games were merely annoying.

But the guys doing Penumbra and Amnesia? They've like, cracked the perfect horror formula, lol. :IS2:

Upvote 0
YouTube - The best Amnesia: The Dark Descent scares

People should grow some spine :D

C_Gibby said:
But the guys doing Penumbra and Amnesia? They've like, cracked the perfect horror formula, lol.

You could say it's a funny 'tradition' of Frictional Games that they do know how to make their stuff in the core, but if they could improve their enemy placement to be more subtle rather than way too obvious (most of the time), especially with the whole "pick something and BLEARGH" then they could make some really interesting stuff regarding typical player experience.

Upvote 0
YouTube - The best Amnesia: The Dark Descent scares

People should grow some spine :D

You could say it's a funny 'tradition' of Frictional Games that they do know how to make their stuff in the core, but if they could improve their enemy placement to be more subtle rather than way too obvious (most of the time), especially with the whole "pick something and BLEARGH" then they could make some really interesting stuff regarding typical player experience.
Amnesia 2: Shovels

It's scary but not "bring you to tears" levels of scary, and CERTAINLY not to the point where I'd freak out over shovels like that one guy. If I bump into something, sure it might make me jump a tiny bit but he was overboard.

Upvote 0
There's hardly any good horror games out now.

Dead space, Resident Evil, Condemned and the newer silent hill games are flippin' jokes. And it makes me laugh how people keep marketing them as the SCARIEST EXPERIENCE EVER. Those games were merely annoying.

But the guys doing Penumbra and Amnesia? They've like, cracked the perfect horror formula, lol. :IS2:

Same thing with The Exorcist. I was told it was the scariest movie ever; even the DVD cover said so.

It was more of a supernatural comedy than a horror.

Perhaps these "SCARIEST EXPERIENCE EVER"s were such at the time of release, because i know that Alien had people running from the cinema screaming.

I know, bad analogies and such; but the scariest game i play is KF. I don't venture into the dark that often.

Upvote 0
It's scary but not "bring you to tears" levels of scary, and CERTAINLY not to the point where I'd freak out over shovels like that one guy. If I bump into something, sure it might make me jump a tiny bit but he was overboard.

It's mostly a "problem" of individual reaction and sensitivity for this sort of stuff, but if people are almost crying for apparently no reason (so to speak) the developers did something right :p

Upvote 0

As far as Yahtzee goes thats a really good review.

I got a bit more time to play and got a bit further and enjoying it but...

MAJOR ANNOYANCE AHOY! Turns out something had bugged earlier so I couldn't use an item like I wanted to - it was already full and I couldn't just "empty" it (you know the one - arg!). Apparently, you are supposed to use it earlier in the game to solve a puzzle that I magically avoided. Well I figured I'd just have to backtrack through some tunnels - but no siree, door wouldn't budge :(

A quick search reveals several others have had the same problem and had to use other peoples saves or load a way earlier save. Thankfully the save games are in xml format and are pretty logical, so a bit of copypasta from another save and voil

Upvote 0
Amnesia 2: Shovels

You can allways hear a few people in the background, so i think this is a case of freinds getting togeather to play this, and psyching eachother up about it to the point of sillyness.

Upvote 0