• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Should the "dislike" ability be removed? (poll)

Should the "dislike" ability be removed? (poll)

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

-[SiN]-bswearer

Grizzled Veteran
Apr 3, 2008
how many other people are tired of seeing asshats troll people by giving undeserved "dislikes" to take away from their reputation?

imo, it's abusive and been tolerated for far too long. it needs to be stopped before it gets worse.

also, users' "received reputation history" should be accessible in the usercp like it used to before it was mysteriously removed......also should give complete history and not just the last 5 ratings received.

Last edited:
I remember getting a third green square, then the next day it was gone. I worked hard for it, and i'm sad that it's gone.

Also, YoYoBatty seems to be copping it hard. Almost every single post of his gets negative ratings and he's gone down from about 10 squares to 1.

Someone's trolling him hard.

EDIT: And now they're coming after me :\

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I voted no.

Works like a Sleeping Police Man, calms the wayward spirit.

+ "I've actually been surprised how dead on likes/dislikes have been."
+ "It's just a bit of fun, I don't see the problem :)."
+ "But then how are we going to express our dislike for demons like Hans Ludwig or Blacklabel?"

Actually BlackLabel doesn't count, it/he was just an experiment :D.

Only the Trolls are Trolling.

Upvote 0
But then how are we going to express our dislike for demons like Hans Ludwig or Blacklabel?

:IS2:

you reply to their posts and tell them.....plus, i think their rep is low enough already that if the "dislikes" were removed right now, they'd keep their rep and never be able to climb out of their holes anyway :D

I find it interesting that you always complain about "trolls" giving you dislikes, yet you have a pretty good rep here. :)

probably cause i have enough friends to counter the trolls and keep it relatively balanced. :D

Upvote 0
probably cause i have enough friends to counter the trolls and keep it relatively balanced. :D

nice to have friends - nothing wrong with that - but you're essentially bringing into question some of your +ve ratings on that basis.

to elaborate on my point the first time this issue was raised:
i daresay a few ppl get negs simply because some suspect their high ratings, rather than being the reward for making consistantly remarkable posts, are due more to mutual backslapping between them and their freinds.

I wouldn't take it to heart or see it as malicious - you could argue that these 'trolls' are the ones providing balance -
to unwarranted high rep.

And it must be accepted that the moment you appear to care about your rep is a cue to see it take something of a battering.
that's human nature.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
if everyone maxed out at positive rep, that really wouldn't be an issue would it?

now, if you wish to speculate that people spammed each other with "likes" that's understandable because i know of a few individuals who did do that before the restriction was put in place like 2 days after the feature was added.....however take my personal rep for example, it was still only a few green circles for the whole first week the feautre was added. it wasn't until 2 weeks or so after the restriction was put in that my rep started getting really high, i think due in part to some of the people rating me already having higher rep and giving more points per ratings. at one point i got a couple circles into the yellow......idk maybe some people did spam me with "likes" but perhaps they really did like my post? all you can do to prevent spamming "likes" is to limit how many ratings you can give each day, and rightly so they did that almost immediately after the feature was added.

then out of nowhere for almost a week i kept getting tons of dislikes for no reason whatsoever, obviously meaning that somebody didn't like see that my rep points had gotten high so they were trying to take them away from me. that's not balancing the system, that's people just being douchebags for the sake of being douchebags and that is being malicious. they have no "right" to take it upon themselves to balance something that they might think is undeserved. sorry, but you can't defend those actions. there shouldn't be a need for "balance". the feature is supposed to be a fun little addition for allowing people to easily agree with posts without requiring them to reply with a post of their own which would just repeat what's already been said.....

are some people "slapping each other's backs" with a lot of borderline "likes"? possibly......but that's not really a bad thing and it's something you can't monitor or control aside from setting a restriction, which has already been put into place. however, you can control the other side of the issue and prevent people from being complete douches and stop them from being able to troll with undeserved negative ratings.

i'm not the only person this has happened to.....YoYobatty and some other regulars in the KF forums took huge beatings.

better yet, the most hilarious thing about all this is that i first made an issue of this in another thread (BL trolled that one and got it locked), and after that i love how the "last 5 ratings recieved" section was removed from your usercp so that you can't check your current points and ratings history. so now i'm still watching my "rep" drop and have no way of finding out which posts are getting dislikes so i can't report more abuse to the system. for all i know whoever's been trolling me recently is going through my posts from last year and giving them "dislikes" just to ruffle my feathers even more :rolleyes:

Schneidy if you're reading this, do you have any explaination as to why this was removed? very odd timing that it was removed right after i began reporting this issue :cool:

ultimately, this feature should just be for fun.......for me it's not fun when i know i'm being trolled by asses and i'd imagine that feeling would be the same for the other people that this has happened to.

Upvote 0
Well lol, seeing how everyone pro removal immediately gets an rating of around 1 out of 14, that pretty much proves -[SiN]-bswearer's point. So I voted yes, but on the other hand I really don't care anymore lol.

ah, so that's why my rep.bar went to red now
I should have voted yes....... which proves the OP point

But since driving through red lights is common practice in my country I don't care :)

Upvote 0
i would bet things would be a lot different if it wasn't so annonimous.....

say for example, everytime you gave a rating, it would display your name along with it like how this poll shows those who voted for each choice (i made it that way on purpose). firstly i doubt most people would be as willing to troll if their identity would be exposed. secondly, that'd provide users with the ability to check and see if they are consistantly being trolled by a specific individual or group of individuals. plus, it'd provide a public record to support an accusation that you're being trolled.

ultimately, there is no accountablilty right now. the only thing we USED to have was the "last 5 ratings rep received" section in your usercp, but like i've already point out, that mysteriously is gone now (Chris, why won't you respond to my question asking why it was removed? you're the only admin who would have been able to remove that feature.....).

we should be able to view every single rating we've received. it's a matter of private and public record. if i feel like i'm being trolled by people, then in order to prove this, that data should be readily available. if it's a clear case that somebody is abusing the feature to troll another member then we should be able to report that abuse and abusers should be punished.

of course, the simple alternative would be to just prevent abuse in the first place........that could be done simply by not letting people "dislike" anything :rolleyes:

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.