• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Plasticine face and Goblin run

it depends more on the lighting condition, really. a shot from a render always looks different than in-engine.

there are some recent batch of shots from that map which show faces that look vastly different, suggesting that it really is just a lighting trick. also, for comparison, look at americas army 3's faces. they look quite similar.

a lot of ue3 games use unnatural "fantasy" or "sci-fi" lighting to cover up how poorly the ue3 lighting system illuminates faces...basically.

I just downloaded that face shader, and it looks mighty fine in my RS map :p

Upvote 0
In regards to the running, we motion captured a professional mocap actor (we used the same studio used for Avatar, and one of the mocap actors from Avatar). He ran the same way German soldiers were trained to run. And if you look at WWII photos of German soldiers in combat, they are almost ALWAYS running with their gun in one hand like that. So sorry if you don't like the way it looks, but its historically accurate, and realistic.

Having a one-hand sprint animation is good, but not when everyone is doing it. In house/street combat, many soldiers holded their weapons with two hands. Especially soldiers with submachineguns often holded them with both hands.

Having a random display of both sprint animations would be the best solution.

And it well help making an group assault not look like a clone army attack ;)

Reactions: LemoN and barakas
Upvote 0
No, the death animations we saw (from the trailer at least) were just wrong. A bullet will not make you stop dead in your tracks. It's simple physics. A bullet does not have enough kinetic energy to completely cancel out your forward momentum as we saw in the trailers. If it did, the shooter would fly backwards after every shot unless he was anchored to something.

Um, they were not running forward very fast. Granted, they might be falling on their faces instead of just dropping down, but still.

Upvote 0
It would be good if you could code diversity in movement animation by a random factor affecting the arc of componant bones, and slightly affect gait/cadence. A very subtle effect might give a subconciously more convincing protrail of a group moving.
In general i mean - i wouldn't expect to see that in hos or other title on the horizon.

The 2 distinctive run types are a v good gamplay idea - remember you can't always zoom in to get a realistic view sometimes needed to recognise friend or foe, and clear-cut variety of run style would render this well thought out aid useless.

You can use things like animation blends and trees in Unreal 3 to good effect, which will actually blend two animations together very well indeed. We are using on a project we are working on for different hand animations.

Of course the cost of TWI going back and doing all that extra mocap and then the time implementing the code to pick a certain animation to blend to etc is probably more hassle than its worth. :eek:

Upvote 0
I agree. The faces look lifeless.

-

Why bother altering them? You won't see them just from a distance. If this was the case. Then why bother making people anymore than a black stick? We will only see them from a distance.

-

Its called detail. People like details. The more...the better. Can't really argue against that.

Are the current faces "More than enough?"... In my oppinion I don't think so. I could see a little more then maybe its enough.

Upvote 0
In regards to the one handed run :-
People frequently mistake friendlies for enemies at a distance when they are just out of identifiable range, the 2 different sprint animations will massively reduce the amount of accidental tk's - that is why it has been implemented in this way.

In regards to the dying/falling down from the trailer :-
Let's just wait until we see more people dying shall we? Who says that's final?

In regards to the face :-
Whatever guys...everyone is going to have their own priorities and opinions on this - lets face it we don't spend any time in RO looking at other peoples faces - and imo the sniper, tank crew and the faces of the soviet troops in the barrage look excellent.

Reactions: Tiger2
Upvote 0
Diffrent animations is a great Idea to make easier to distinguish friend and foe.
But current animation looks very strange especially the change between sprint and hipshot/walk animation.

A bolt action rifle is no relay stick / sprinter stick! So its impossible to sprint as fast as You can with a rifle in ONE hand.
Belive me I am a owner of a original WWII K98 (disabled decoration).

What you seen on historical photographs and films is more hastily walk than a sprint in a dangerous situation.

The shape of helmets and diffrent field gear (especially german gas mask case) should be enough to recognise friend or foe.

Upvote 0
Its called detail. People like details. The more...the better. Can't really argue against that.

I wonder how full of life and joy your face would be in 1940s after you've been exposed to frontline conditions from weeks to several months in row and only thing you can probably do is to shave your face with a damaged razorblade and take care of basic hygiene. It's not beauty or fashion contest, and then we could start talking about how diffrent human faces can be, and that not everyone is ruggedly handsome Brad Pitt during the second world war as much as any other game or movie likes us to think.

Bundesarchiv_Bild_183-E0406-0022-011%2C_Russland%2C_deutscher_Kriegsgefangener.jpg

Bundesarchiv_Bild_183-F0316-0204-005%2C_Russland%2C_Paulus_in_Kriegsgefangenschaft.jpg

Paulus looks pretty interesting there, don't you think?

Bundesarchiv_Bild_183-B29906%2C_Russland%2C_Kampf_um_Stalingrad%2C_Grenadier.jpg

Bundesarchiv_Bild_183-R0130-330%2C_Sowjetische_Soldaten_erhalten_Parteidokumente.jpg

Reactions: Bluehawk
Upvote 0
I wonder how full of life and joy your face would be in 1940s after you've been exposed to frontline conditions from weeks to several months in row and only thing you can probably do is to shave your face with a damaged razorblade and take care of basic hygiene. It's not beauty or fashion contest, and then we could start talking about how diffrent human faces can be, and that not everyone is ruggedly handsome Brad Pitt during the second world war as much as any other game or movie likes us to think.

Nice pictures. Of course your entire post is irrelevant because we're talking about making the faces look realistic, not pretty.

Reactions: Calumhm
Upvote 0
Nice pictures. Of course your entire post is irrelevant because we're talking about making the faces look realistic, not pretty.

I would say it's pretty relevant, considering the line between pretty and realistic is blurred. While the faces would need some improvement\tweaking with few things, comparing to them your "typical" person found in 1930s or 1940s and how 'ugly' they look, they are quite realistic. It's far more difficult artistically to make 'ugly' yet realistic face than pretty\handsome 'pretty' face what people are often expecting.

If we were to compare RO:Ost faces it's really difficult to distinguish proper "details" what would make a face realistic from them as they are all dirty and most of the stuff would be pre-textured there since the lightning in UE2.5 is what it is, and another issue regarding the colour and lightning is that slightly tweaking colour may greatly exaggerate the issue or alternatively even cause it to look 'wrong', and depending on your monitor settigns, your own eyes and some other things can greatly effect it. Some of the facial details OP mentioned are difficult to distinguish (IRL) by naked eye under good lightning and warm weather, unless the person is greatly exhausted or is naturally warmblooded so to speak. We could also take skin colour into account, as someone who is more white than snowman in middle of a snowstorm may show certain things far more diffrently than someone with a tan or has naturally more darker skin tone.

So yes, ideas how to make faces more realistic is not bad at all, but how about asking and pointing out why they are not as realistic? The faces do require some tweaking due they look silly with few things (and yes, lacks slightly reddish tone\shade in place where it is obvious), while are not that bad. Basic animations also require some tweaking, but the basics are ok and the so-called goblin run was already explained in one of the early posts, there's nothing really wrong in there.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I would say it's pretty relevant, considering the line between pretty and realistic is blurred.
No its not blurred. Example tanks are detailed, tanks are not pretty.

Detailed and pretty are two totally different thing and i
believe that everybody know the difference.

Brad Pitt isnt detailed after make up, there is no
many furrows anymore.

However on photos you posted faces are full of details,
so dont understand your point.

It's far more difficult artistically to make 'ugly' yet realistic face than pretty\handsome 'pretty' face what people are often expecting.
Thats lie, after mudbox and ZBrush game out, everybody
started model those 110 year old dudes.

Just type "zbrush face" in to google and you
dont get many detailed pretty faces, but many
detailed ugly faces.

Upvote 0
While people back in the 40's weren't perefect looking Hollywood stars, they weren't all hideously ugly, I'd like to see some ugly, some average, and some handsome looking soldiers, who knows maybe one guy is an old bald guy, maybe one guy looks really rugged, maybe one guy looks like a teenager ETC.

I'd like to see a face customization system like Mount and Blade Warband where you can choose from a whole list of faces/hairstyles BUT within the limits of its ethnicity.

For example for your Russian guy, you can customize what he looks like but he can't look anythin other than Russian, same for the Germans.

Upvote 0