• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Lots of ideas split 3: Perks and weapons

It's been on the back-burner for quite some time now, but I've been meaning to post a comprehensive Sharpshooter suggestions thread in a similar style to my Berserker thread from a while ago. (Who knows? Talking about it here might even motivate me to get off my arse and write it - it seemed to work last time...) Anyway, apart from the usual stat reductions to the Crossbow and M14, and a couple of other fairly predictable changes, probably the main idea I intend to propose in it is that the Sharpshooter's recoil reduction bonus should only apply if certain conditions are met, one of those being that the effect falls off according to a fairly steep ramp if the weapon is fired too quickly. I figure there's not much point trying to completely prevent someone from spamming if they really want to (it's possible to do, obviously, but not necessarily for the best), but instead that you certainly can impose drawbacks to it that would make it undesirable most of the time, while still retaining the option for those few situations where it'd still be modestly helpful. After all, what better deterrent against misuse than clearly evident ineffectiveness?

Upvote 0
/Wall-o-text ahead/

I know the obvious answer is to simply reduce number of mags, but for creativity's sake, I'll put forth another idea:

- Amount of magazines
- Mag size (to 10 shots)
+ Recoil (enough that you still need to re-center aim quickly even as Sharpie, so by quite a bit)

+ Per shot damage (though it still requires multiple for Scrake/FP)
- Reload time slightly (perhaps?)

The recoil would make it more difficult to use (though more fun if you handle it skillfully), as well as make firing the gun more deliberate instead of "Point at head and mash mouse1". The decreased mag size makes it weaker toward crowd-control though still better then the Crossbow.

I also float the idea of slightly quicker reload because the user will be reloading more often. It would also create a false sense of power (the same that the AA12 has), where the user feels like they are more capable of eliminating threats then they are, though in reality we all know what happens when you use the AA12 too much....you quickly run out of ammo, and are basically screwed. Hence, why I say it's a "false" sense of power. This would in-turn lead the M14 to be a "only use when necessary" gun, much like the AA12 and Xbow. You'd be able to tell the skilled player because they would save the M14 for big targets/panic situations, instead of being like those AA12 spammers you see sometimes.

So basically, capable of downing Scrakes and FP's, but easier to mess up with then the Xbow. However, it has better crowd-control then the Xbow, but still not as good as a Commando weapon. I leave the crowd-control in because, for better or worse, that's the purpose of the weapon it seems. I feel I can't take crowd-control away from it without completely changing the gun. However, I can make the gun worse at it (by reducing it's mag ammo and number of mags), and make the gun harder to use (but more rewarding), by upping the damage but severely increasing the recoil as well. This would also prevent everyone and their aunt taking the M14 whenever they can afford it, as it would be extremely hard to use unperked due to insane amounts of recoil.

Honestly I have no opinion either way on keeping the laser sight or not, but I do think the M14 should have a better ironsight at least, so people are encouraged to use it instead of discouraged by how frustrating it is to see through.

TL: DR- Please read what I have put forth. If I just outline the stats you'll say it's still OP, but if you look at my explanation you'll see just how I think the limits of the gun will nigh-force players to use it skillfully (or avoid it in favor of the Xbow) BUT not nerf it into oblivion, and make skillful use of it as...well, useful, as a skillful Xbow user, though not precisely in the same manner (which is a good thing as it adds variety).

Yeah even that ended up being long-winded....

Or just
Remove laser, reduce body damage, increase headshot damage, tweak other stuff to make headshots harder, add FP / Scrake resistance to damage.

See, this was the kind of change I tried to avoid. No matter what main weapon Sharpie has, he should be best at dealing with Scrake & Fleshpound, that's simply what the perk is about. These changes would simply make the M14:

1. Worse then the Crossbow both in usefulness and in enjoyability.

2. Less unique, it'd basically be a semi-auto LAR. It needs something unique, a scope if the laser MUST be removed.

3. Make it lean more towards Commando's (and Demo's) job of clearing up crowds of weak zeds.

Imo it doesn't even need a bodyshot damage decrease, unless you also plan it to be cheaper. The fact that you messed up the headshot and still need to re-center your aim with a Scrake or FP possibly bearing down on you is punishment enough. Not to mention you wasted a bullet of your now-precious ammunition.

I know the M14 is quite overpowered at the moment, but let's not break it to pieces with the nerf stick and turn it into Killing Floor's Sandman. As in, the TF2 unlock that everyone hated and thus became completely useless. Though you could say that about the Force of Nature, Backburner, and Chargin' Targe as well.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I agree it should have a scope. It should be used as a long ranged weapon, and would need to be used for headshots.

But Fleshpounds and Scrakes still shouldn't go down in 4 shots to the head.

If the recoil stays the same as it is now, then yes, I agree. I'd rather the number of shots stays the same though, with the ability to get those shots becoming harder. I would suggest recoil on the level of the Hunting Shotgun doubleshot. And that's with Sharpshooter bonus, making it almost useless in unperked hands. That way, the M14 can be just as useful as the Crossbow if used by a skilled, high-level Sharpie, but much less useful for anyone else, especially a non-Sharpshooter. That matches the trend for most tier-3's (except maybe the Scar, but I find the AK more preferable unperked honestly).

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I am now completely convinced that the EBR needs to be made a commando weapon.

To make room in the SS arsenal for this.
This?
h600.jpg

The Heym Express Magnum that fires a .600 Nitro Express round.

A 3 round magazine, and massive recoil that's enough to disarm a shooter, as well as stop a charging animal. This, would maybe be enough to oneshot a Fleshpound regardless of where you hit it. It would be balanced because after each shot you'd have to pick the gun back off the ground due to recoil.

Reactions: SMIFF and Vaecrius
Upvote 0
I am now completely convinced that the EBR needs to be made a commando weapon.

To make room in the SS arsenal for this.

That is actually very much what I had in mind, though maybe not to that extreme lol.

The M14 would be semi-auto, however it would kick like a mule when fired, requiring you to re-center your aim on the FP's head to fire again. This way it requires 4 or more separately aimed shots instead of 1 crossbow bolt. However, to balance this it would be somewhat serviceable at crowd-control due to the simple virtue of it being semi-auto.

I got the idea from messing around with the M14 as a secondary when playing solo hard as Berserker once. I noticed how I need to re-center my aim whenever I hit a big target since Zerker doesn't get recoil reduction, and how it created a tension as I need to nail multiple separate shots before the zed reached me. I thought it was a fun and skillful gameplay mechanic (at least, more skillful then the M14 is now).

Last edited:
Upvote 0
For some of my new ideas the main premise is....

SPIKES!

Spike Shield- Basically the same as the previous shield idea BUT instead of being able to use a one-handed weapon with it, you can press primary attack to do a melee strike and right click blocks with the shield.

Barbed wire/nail bat- a bat with... you guessed it! Nails and or Barbed wire on it. No decap or stuff like that.

Tactical Grenade launcher ammo- These have less to do with spikes, but just an idea. Basically adds three extra modes of firing bought seperately for an added price. Press alternate fire to switch between ammunition

Flare Shells- Purchase 3 for 800. When fired does not damage on impact and after a set time ignites and glows very brightly, attracting enemies and making stalkers more visible.

Fletchette Rounds- Purchase 5 for 500. When fired acts much like a crossbow bolt, but does less damage and pierces multiple enemies.

Shotgun Rounds- Purchase 8 for 300. Does less damage than a regular shotgun shot and is made for switching to quickly when enemies get too close or sneak up on you.

Let me know what you think.

Upvote 0
BUMP!

Added Yomommassis's AAAAAWESOME ideas to buff the Fire Axe and Machete: Being able to dualwield the Machete and to be able to THROW A MACHETE OR THE FIRE AXE!

His animations are just frikkin awesome:
(Link to animation: http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showthread.php?t=46393)

This leaves me with a Machete question though:
My own idea was to add a shield to make the Machete alot more useful. Dualwielding the Machete imposes no problem to this, as that only means you have to choose: 2x Machetes or Machete+Shield?

The problem is the throwability (not with the Axe though, only the Machete) and buttons.

Cuz this is how the structure was for me first:

Machete (only one, no shield)
Primary: Swing
Secondary: Powerswing
Ironsight: Powerswing or N/A

Machete + Shield
Ironsight: Rasie the shield and block

Now, with the dualwielding and throwing, this implies a button problem (perhaps) and i thus have questions for you later:

Machete (only one, no shield)
Ironsight: Throw

Dual Machete
Ironsight: Throw

Now here is the problem:
Machete + Shield
Ironsight: Block

... the question/problem is, what about the throwing? Should you be able to throw the Machete when you wield the Shield (as that would just make you bring out your Knife as that one shouldn't be throwable) but then which button? Or should the Shield-blocking just be something automatic when you have the Shield out (boring and skill-less imo)?
Oooor, should the blocking remain manual and the throwing disabled while wielding the shield and, if you really want to throw the Machete, require you to drop the shield with the "drop weapon"-key first, so you could throw the Machete??

What's your thoughts on all this?

Upvote 0