• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Mp40 holding error

Dsquad

Grizzled Veteran
Sep 7, 2010
The Netherlands
Just something i noticed while looking at some pics from RO2. In the Basement Tactical picture you can see a german soldier holding his Mp40 wrong. His left hand has an hold of the mag instead of the mag receiver just above it. it is my understanding that german soldiers where trained to hold the mag receiver instead of the mag, holding the mag like that resulted in feeding problems.

I know it is a pre alfa shot, but still something i wanted to share with you folks.

The picture I'm talking about:
http://www.heroesofstalingrad.com/wp-content/gallery/rohos-screenshots/Basement_Tactical.jpg

Good call, and why didn't the Germans have a comfortable handgaurd for it?
Good question. I'm not sure actually. Maybe they found it easier to make with no handguard? I know Russians followed this trend too with the PPSH41 and PPS43. I know the reason why they didn't have them on the Russian SMG's was because of the barrel shroud.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
It probably wouldn't be too healthy for the magazine and the magazine well.
Even thought it probably won't cause any trouble or stoppages immediately it will affect the magazine and magazine well in the long term.

Imagine shooting the gun that way for a few months using the same magazines. The tolerances between magazine and magazine-well have to be pretty large in order to assure easy loading even with dirty mags. Now holding the gun by the magazine only will lead to a lot of leverage on the mag (with each shot), resulting in possible long term damage to the notches that hold the magazine in place and the magazine itself.

Of course this would be out of the scope of the game but it's IMO more comfortable to hold the MP40 on the mag reciever. This isn't really comfortable with the stock folded (I don't think many people would fire the MP-40 with the stock folded, as the advantages are minimal compared to the increase in stability).

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Reactions: Nicholas
Upvote 0
It probably wouldn't be too healthy for the magazine and the magazine well.
Even thought it probably won't cause any trouble or stoppages immediately it will affect the magazine and magazine well in the long term.

Imagine shooting the gun that way for a few months using the same magazines. The tolerances between magazine and magazine-well have to be pretty large in order to assure easy loading even with dirty mags. Now holding the gun by the magazine only will lead to a lot of leverage on the mag (with each shot), resulting in possible long term damage to the notches that hold the magazine in place and the magazine itself.

Of course this would be out of the scope of the game but it's IMO more comfortable to hold the MP40 on the mag reciever. This isn't really comfortable with the stock folded (I don't think many people would fire the MP-40 with the stock folded, as the advantages are minimal compared to the increase in stability).
I don't know about that. It's a comment tactic to hold the magazine well today.

Upvote 0
In modern terminology the mag well is the mechanism inside the gun, the reciever is the outside part you hold.

Wrong and wrong.

pgroup_6777_image_400x600__shadow.jpg

Highlighted part is a magazine well. Very much an external feature to facilitate reloading.

What you are talking about in the latter part of your post is typically referred to as a "forearm", "forend" or most commonly "handguard".

Upvote 0