• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Pipebomb spam fix

Sammers

Grizzled Veteran
Jul 2, 2009
Scotland
I don't think this has been suggesed yet. Not in the way I had in mind anyway.

Basically, limit pipebombs per person to 2 or 3 and have the number currently armed by that player displayed where the flashlight/medic syringe bar is. Possibly have this number increased for high level Demolitions Experts.

On top of this, have the reload button detonate any of your armed pipebombs if you ever need to re-position them. Either that or to unarm them and let the arming player pick them back up again, though more coding is needed this way.

Good? Bad?

Sounds like a decent idea. Although non-demo pipebomb buying would need to be like 1 per or something if demo could only use 2 or 3.

But if you just mean 2 or 3 out at the same time while stilling having around 5 on you as demo that would make sense too. On-demand pipebombage seems like an interesting strategy you will need players to implement.

Upvote 0
I also like idea that there would be a way re-place pipes.

Still i hope and like that Demolition perk has many pipes.

I like using pipebombs like this.. When i see bigger enemy (or larger group), i drop pipe, and run. Mostly i play like that. I like this kind of gameplay very much, i use M79, shotgun and pipes.

I think its very good that Demo has many pipes.

Theres a problem in games when players drop pipes everywhere, then whole map is fulled of those. I dont like that neather, but i can live with that, cause not every game that happens. And with friends they dont spam pipes.

Perhaps one way to fix pipe problem would be, that in trader time if you drop pipes, all of those pipes disappears when wave begins. So only those pipes which are placed in Wave time, stays in a map.

EDIT: And no limit to any dropped pipes. Because i like those situations, when team ammo runs low, and then we remember that in that place was a pipe bomb, lets go there and lure those b*stards to that bomb.

I also like that idea, that when dropped last pipe, u may can have a new pipe in a wave if picked an ammo crate. At least Demos should have this ability.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I agree that there needs to be a limit and having a meter showing how many have dropped is a very good idea.

I think that pipe bomb implementation needs to be fixed as well. Here are my suggestions.

1) As you suggested and as in the game already, 2 per non-demo perk and increments as the perk level increases.

2) I wouldn't have the pipe bombs be able to be picked up. I'd have them cycle once the dropped limit has been reached. Your suggestion of the meter makes this possible. Say a demo has an 8 pipe bomb limit. If there are 8 pipe bombs already on the ground, dropping the 9th makes the oldest pipe bomb detonate. I'd make the oldest pipe bomb detonate as well. That would allow for "triggered" pipe bombs but it makes the player pay attention to dropping pipe bombs rather that just spamming.

3) Pipe bombs should damage doors. (As well as launched grenades. Still can't believe that exploit isn't fixed)

4) I'd close the ridiculous exploit of pipe bombs being impervious to every damage in the world except for a bullet. Pipe bombs should explode when they receive a certain amount of damage just like a grenade. A grenade should be able to detonate a pipe bomb and a launched grenade as well.

5) I'd jack up the price of pipe bombs as well.

Upvote 0
Just making them remote-detonated only would fix this already since they wouldn't be "mines" anymore.
It would also be more "realistic" while an arbitrary limit to how many each person can lay out is not.
I like this idea.

How would it work though? Altfire just blows up everything you've set, or can you pick and choose?

Upvote 0
Everything of course.
Lying down carpets of pipes would be totally meaningless if they were all gone at the press of one button.
Or if you couldn't figure out which one you were supposed to blow up and did something Very Bad, or just got crawler'd while fiddling around with the menu... trying to manage all those pipes could be its own minigame :D

(but then FF server popularity would plummet...)

Upvote 0
I don't really understand this suggestion, cause what you are suggestion is already how it is? - Except the icon in the right corner and the rearming thingy.

As far as I know. None demo's are already only allowed to have 2 pipes, while I supposely know (I am a lvl4 demo) being able to run around with 6 pipes as a lvl 4 demolition.

Upvote 0
For the second suggestion we'll need a way to select the pipes even after having dropped them all... my assumption is that once you drop the last one the code treats it as though you don't have the weapon at all.
If the knife can have weight 0, so can a detonator/deactivator. We would only need a way to select it while number of armed pipebombs is greater than 0.
Also, to hell with selecting them, you pay for your placement mistakes by having to reset old pipes :D
It would also be more "realistic" while an arbitrary limit to how many each person can lay out is not.
When did this game become realistic? :rolleyes: Far as I'm concerned, balance > realism and right now billions of pipebombs on the Patriarch buggers up the balance(amongst a few other things).
I don't really understand this suggestion, cause what you are suggestion is already how it is? - Except the icon in the right corner and the rearming thingy.
I meant that a player can only ever armed 2 at the same time. This stops players buying more and making a miniature planet out of pipebombs to kill the Patriarch with.

Personally, I still want them to be proximity. Remote ones will be next to useless compared to proximity ones. Who's going to bother planting a pipebomb, pulling the detonator and timing the detonation, when they can just lay waste with a gun or grenade launcher with half the hassle?

Last edited:
Reactions: HalfDemon
Upvote 0
I don't think this has been suggesed yet. Not in the way I had in mind anyway.

Basically, limit pipebombs per person to 2 or 3 and have the number currently armed by that player displayed where the flashlight/medic syringe bar is. Possibly have this number increased for high level Demolitions Experts.

On top of this, have the reload button detonate any of your armed pipebombs if you ever need to re-position them. Either that or to unarm them and let the arming player pick them back up again, though more coding is needed this way.

Good? Bad?

Nice suggestion :)

If it goes with "detonate with the reload button", i would say detonate the first, then the second and so on, upon each puch on the button.

Being able to pick them up again would be reasonable too, if the max amount of pipebombs deployable would be low. But the disarm should take a while then. Like a few secs or so. However, i think this would also require some sort of "sign" to show which ones are yours, so you know which ones you can disarm. Blue blinking light on your own, red on others? :rolleyes:

Regarding the detonator, why not make it like this (pure suggestion):
When you buy the Pipebomb(s), you also buy a Detonator. Bringing out your pipebombs also brings out your detonator. Deploying all your Pipebombs DOES NOT REMOVE the 1 weight. Why? Since you still carry the Detonator (which is a "weapon"). This also allows you to pick up ammoboxes while having 0 pipebombs and make you still have a chance of getting more pipebombs :).
The Detonator could be dropabble, but doesn't grant you any pipebombs along with it? Like, if you have a full stack of pipebombs and toss them and your detonator on the ground, you lose all pipebombs? Or should it be treated just like a weapon with its mags, where the detonator is the weapon and the pipebombs are ammo/mags? Then, if treated like this, the dropping of detonator+pipebombs could be using a model of some small bag which contains the detonator and the pipbebombs? *shrugs*)

Meh, just brainstorming a lil :D

Upvote 0
The Detonator could be dropabble, but doesn't grant you any pipebombs along with it? Like, if you have a full stack of pipebombs and toss them and your detonator on the ground, you lose all pipebombs? Or should it be treated just like a weapon with its mags, where the detonator is the weapon and the pipebombs are ammo/mags? Then, if treated like this, the dropping of detonator+pipebombs could be using a model of some small bag which contains the detonator and the pipbebombs? *shrugs*)
Or rather than attributing the ammo to the weapon, attribute it to the player. Like if you have 4 pipebombs, drop your detonator, pick up another, you still have your 4 pipebombs.

Come to think of it, attributing ammo to players rather than weapons,would fix a hell of a lot of cheap trader refill issues and stop players stockpiling weapons on the map, though it would probably break a lot of other things.

Upvote 0