• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Tripping/Falling over

Honestly I hate the idea of falling down just because you tried to move too fast. On the other hand I have always wanted to be able to knock people down in shooters. If you are too close to an explosion, you get shot in the wrong place (like the knee), or if you are backpedalling over uneven terrain without jumping I think you should have a chance of falling down. And I don't just mean going prone automatically, I mean if there is an explosion in front of you you should fall backwards on your *** and either have to stand up or shoot lying down. Would be better if you could actually lose the use of your legs and have a sort of prolonged final stand slow death where you have one last chance to revenge yourself.

If it were possible to be knocked down without being incapacitated, I hope they add rolling while prone. It's faster than crawling but of course you can't shoot at all and it's rather disorienting. Joint Ops did this well.

Seems a lot of people think taking the wound system too far in RO would detract from the gameplay. From my perspective it would just add more challenge and intensity to the game, especially on servers with no death messages. You could shoot an enemy through a window and run into the building only to find him laying there bleeding out with a SMG pointed at your chest. In my opinion uncertainty is a good thing in a hard game like RO. It would only be really annoying if you somehow got crippled on the other side of a big map from the enemy team, and even then you can always take the coward's way out.

Upvote 0
fact: when people get wounded, especially in a vital area that will lead to death, they usually don't have the presence of mind to wait for you to come check on them and then kill you in revenge. that's probably the last thing on their mind as they are desperately clinging to life, lying on the ground clutching the wound with both hands.

i find the entire idea of "last stand" to be ridiculous and last i remember, it was a cheap plot device used in hollywood movies to kill off minor characters.

Reactions: Roland777
Upvote 0
The problem with the movement system that allows the WASDancing is that changes in direction are too smooth. If you were moving (especially if at a higher speed) to the side and switched direction, you'd probably have to stick a foot out to absorb your momentum and push off in the other direction instead of the hovercraft style direction changes we have in RO.

The sideways momentum thing in RO when switching strafing directions needs to be changed for RO2, since it can easily be overcome by quickly pressing W or S when changing direction.

Upvote 0
No, no and no. Why people do not strafe in real word, well
because its really slow and unbalanced way to move.

I also think that if you go and try to strafe something like
20 meter as fast as somebody moves normal way.

You will end up to be really exhausted as muscels need
to do a lot of work to keep you in balance when you move
extremely fast sideways.

So strafeing should be much slower than moveing fowardly and eat stamina really fast.

Upvote 0
Yes, Strafing should be slow and moving backwards should be slower.

-

I did a small modification to left 4 dead so that moving backwards and strafing were considerably slower. The game became much more realistic and epic then. Just from a change of numbers. You could not longer speed run through zombies because you could only shoot what was in front of you without slowing yourself down.

-

And so much hate from falling over from people who sound like they would play tactically. Exactly...what are you guys pressing when hiding behind a wall? WDASDAWDASDASDAWAWDAWdasdawead.

I doubt anyway would "Accidentally" press ADADA without knowingly trying to do it.

Restricted strafing speed/moving backwards speed would have a better impact. But less humour and punishment for players trying to play the game like every other shooter out there. A combination of the two would be funny =)

And what about walking backwards downstairs whilst shooting / jogging pace downstairs =p

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Game designers could do something about strafe-dodgers or the bunny-hoppers if they wanted to, but the thing is it's accepted as classic gameplay now by a large part of the gaming world. So run & gunnin' with all the twitchy-moves has become mainstream, and it's just seen as another gaming skill to be used by millions of online gamers. Do I personally do it, no, but if a game system allows it (as the OP mentioned, it is 2010 after all), then titles that allow these unrestricted moves must be doing so by intention.

So what to do about strafe-dodgers or bunny-hoppers? Well some shooter designs exact an exhaustion penalty for rapidly and repeatedly hopping for instance, and the same thing could be programmed for strafing maneuvers also.

There's obvious ways to attached an exhaustion penalty to doing body movements repeatedly with the ease of mere keyboard flicking, but again, this stuff remains possible in many games because game designers don't want to offend their most vocal, devoted, and/or skilled users.

Fact is, some of the most popular shooters will require reverse-engineering to remove these unreaslistic gameplay features, all caused by flaws in their original designs (and which of the powers that be would want to admit this, and be yelled at by their devoted fans for doing something about it all now anyway). ;)

Upvote 0
Yep, I would hope RL capabilities would hold sway concerning these things too Taisenki.

There's forums all over the web where stuff like this has, and still is debated, and you'll see gamers arguing against RL realities all the time, because they have a vested interest in things remaining the same. Mostly because it's what familiar, and it involves change.

Upvote 0
well it isn't exactly random as they only trip if they're button smashing aswd. I like the idea because in real life, your phsique doesn't allow you for that quick changes in direction.
But see that's why this is unncessary. In RO1 if you spam ASDW you won't really move that much because of player inertia. As long as RO2 has inertia as well (where it takes a tad bit of time to start moving full speed) then you won't have crazy stupid strafing going on.

Upvote 0
Like I said, strafing is 100% realistic because it simulates running forward in one direction while looking in another. Strafing is NOT sidestepping. I also have nothing against strafing back and forth because in real life you do have that kind of dexterity. All you need is some kind of momentum system (which RO has) to not make it instantaneous.

Go play BC2, you will notice that mouse-steered sprinting is not something you'd want in RO.

Upvote 0