• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

[Game] Starcraft II

All practice league and novice maps have boulders. You should never 10 pool on those maps or even play them in the first place XD

The whole point is your first 2 drones delay the barracks and prevent a complete wall off. if your first six lings dont slip in it's gg.

Yeah I realized that but forgot about the boulders in noob mode.

Upvote 0
Yeah I realized that but forgot about the boulders in noob mode.

Don't play in the newb league. If you wanna practice before you play the 5 placement matches play custom 1v1. The boulders in the modified newb maps set you up to get completely dominated in the real leagues because the strats are totally different (trust me, it happened to me :p)

Upvote 0
MP is rather disappoining. It's all cheese moves. Reaper/Zealot rushes, bunker in the base, void ray/mutaling rush, baneling bust, proxy barracks etc the list goes on.

I love the game but I am thinking I just cannot be bothered.

There is a bit of a learning curve for countering cheese builds. If you want post some replays and I can give you my pro advice.

Upvote 0
Another rant...

So it's been two weeks since I said I made it to rank #29 in my bronze league. After many more matches I'm rank #31... I just cannot get any better. Tried different strats and even though it seems I'm more versatile I still manage to lose almost every ****ing match. I can build way more troops than my opponent and tech up but without them even scouting they somehow know how to roll in and either immediately exploit my weakness or lose a few troops and then immediately remedy themselves with a whole new army.

I've never before played a game where the players were so ****ing good at the game that every time I load up multiplayer I feel like I'm in a professional tournament. AND THIS IS BRONZE LEAGUE! WHAT THE ****! It's amazingly and incredibly frustrating.

Upvote 0
Another rant...

So it's been two weeks since I said I made it to rank #29 in my bronze league. After many more matches I'm rank #31... I just cannot get any better. Tried different strats and even though it seems I'm more versatile I still manage to lose almost every ****ing match. I can build way more troops than my opponent and tech up but without them even scouting they somehow know how to roll in and either immediately exploit my weakness or lose a few troops and then immediately remedy themselves with a whole new army.

I've never before played a game where the players were so ****ing good at the game that every time I load up multiplayer I feel like I'm in a professional tournament. AND THIS IS BRONZE LEAGUE! WHAT THE ****! It's amazingly and incredibly frustrating.

This situation is pretty common in RTS games for me too, I played a lot of RTS from 1996 to 2003, but no matter how long I played them or how good I thought I became, I still got my *** kicked a lot. I saw this coming after playing the beta, so in the end I didn't buy SC2, it made me remember the reason why I quit playing any RTS overall.

Takes way too much concentration, you have to be able to micromanage the units in battle and manage at the same time all the economy and production etc... If you take a second of rest, you are dead.

I suppose thats why I turned to turn based strategy games like Total War.

Upvote 0
Takes way too much concentration, you have to be able to micromanage the units in battle and manage at the same time all the economy and production etc... If you take a second of rest, you are dead.

This exactly. And at a certain point in each match there's so much to keep track of that keeping it all under wraps seems like a near impossibility. On one hand its very exciting and challenging but more commonly it's like this does not seem humanly possible...surely my opponent will be flustered as well.......oh wait, no he's not, not at all...game over.

Upvote 0
This exactly. And at a certain point in each match there's so much to keep track of that keeping it all under wraps seems like a near impossibility. On one hand its very exciting and challenging but more commonly it's like this does not seem humanly possible...surely my opponent will be flustered as well.......oh wait, no he's not, not at all...game over.

YouTube - Korean Gamers: APM Demonstration

I just wanted to command my armies in battle... and what I got was this god damned guitar hero... ><

Upvote 0
Jeez I keep telling you guys post replays and I can give you some feedback on how to play better. I play at really low speed and I managed to get to first in my diamond division with 1300 points playing zerg and some protoss.

I learned a lot about misconceptions people have when I helped a few friends get from bronze/silver league into diamond. A lot of them had the same problems with over reacting where even a scouting probe would throw them off completely. Even worse is they would always try to over micro their units, which does a lot more harm then good.

Upvote 0
Well good news and bad news. I did some research and watched pros and realized alot of my mistakes. I wrote down a build order and went off to test it out. Good news is I did much better and had a back and forth battle that I've rarely had before with plenty of reinforcements coming in and plenty of harassment on my part. Bad news? I STILL ****ING LOST.

At least now I feel like I have a chance. Small steps I guess...

EDIT: My revamped strategy has netted me 5 wins out of the last 6 matches. The one loss was only due to the fact I failed to put up detectors and a couple cloaked zealots plowed through the base. Other than that I had 5 convincing wins. Finally.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
A lot of cool info was released at Blizzcon. Blizzard is a few 'official' custom maps and adding a ton of fun stuff to the editor. One of the maps will be "left2die", obviosly a nod at left4dead. Two people team up to fight off zombies similar to that one campaign mission. The other is a Dota and they are importing a lot of warcraft 3 type models and making them look as good as sc2 characters, which is pretty insane. The last is kind of like tf2 prop hunt.

Heres some funny images released from one of the artists that might not actually be included.

Obamination
art_52.png

Blademaster
art_39.png

Infested bunker lol
heart_of_the_swarm_a_0.png

Upvote 0
Managed to improve to #5 in my bronze league. Now I routinely beat silver league players and have about a 1 in 3 chance of beating gold players. Apparently thats not good enough to get out of the bronze league though as I have to get like 300 more points at an average of around 20 points per win to get to the #1 spot in bronze. I guess then I can move to silver? It just seems really stupid since it's clear from my record I'm now mid level silver quality.

Upvote 0
Managed to improve to #5 in my bronze league. Now I routinely beat silver league players and have about a 1 in 3 chance of beating gold players. Apparently thats not good enough to get out of the bronze league though as I have to get like 300 more points at an average of around 20 points per win to get to the #1 spot in bronze. I guess then I can move to silver? It just seems really stupid since it's clear from my record I'm now mid level silver quality.

Whats your win loss ratio? If it's 50/50 your going to be there for a while longer.

Upvote 0
Whats your win loss ratio? If it's 50/50 your going to be there for a while longer.

I played 2 matches today and on the second got placed in silver league, rank 14. Woo!

My overall win loss is 78-70. That includes my first couple months of noob play. The last month or so my w/l was more like 3 or 4 to 1. Now I'm getting matched against high level gold players pretty much every match and losing. I'm assuming it will soon balance out to upper ranked gold and silver players now.

Upvote 0

Lol pretty amusing.

I just lost the last 7 matches in a row. Out of the last ten matches I won once. My old strat wasn't as effective as it used to be (MMM) so I've been trying a 1/1/1 strat and a 2 rax MM with early expansion. Both strats were from a diamond league player. So far lost all matches against mostly silver league players, one or two gold players, and a bronze player. Seriously, hardest game ever.

Upvote 0
You really shouldn't go 1/1/1 tbh. It requires a lot of knowledge of each matchup and even then it can be tough if things go wrong. I'd recommend going either pure bio or mech/marine. Most silver/gold players stay on onebase so it should be easy to expand with siege tanks and win a macro game.

You're right. Generally with 1/1/1 I'm just barely fending off attack waves while they increasingly get more powerful and eventually take me out. It requires lots of focus of how to direct your build plus the focus of controlling the micro on all the different units. I'm just not that good yet.

I switched back to my MMM build but made it more aggressive and added in late game building strats. I won the last 2 out of 3 doing that.

Upvote 0
Try going pure mech with vikings thrown in. I don't actually play terran but I played some games to show you how it's done sort of. All my opponents ended up being low diamond/high platinum level so you can see how powerful it is even with my sloppy execution.

You can see it works well against any ground army. There are a lot of different units you can throw in that have great synergy with siege tanks, I just tried to keep it as simple as possible.

The important things to remember is to keep adding on factories as you expand, and keep getting attack and armour upgrades.

Against zerg you want your tanks spread out and sort of spread away from your opponent, since zerg units are short range. This also makes it easier to leap frog your tanks towards thier base. Make sure you unsiege if they have broodlords. Against toss and terran you want a line perpindicular to thier army, get sensor towers so you can manuever before you engage.

Upvote 0