• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Will be there 2 anti cheats???

dunaman

Aug 9, 2010
When I think of punkbuster I imagine this secret weapon of the Germans

362866497_d788425196_o.jpg

The allies are lucky that this weapon never saw action and never mass produce.........

and I ear that a prototype of this weapon use in Stalingrad will this weapon will be saw in red orchestra??!??
http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/ll97/CoyoteSolar/362866497_d788425196_o.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I've never encountered cheats in RO:Ost, ever. Even in mainstream games with a younger average audience such as CSS, I only come across individuals using hacks about once a month. I think the threat of cheating is blown up into a much larger issue than it really is. Hackers hardly ever last more than 10 minutes before being kicked or getting bored, and if all else fails join a different server.

A double system will obviously make these encounters even more rare, which admittedly is a good thing.

Upvote 0
I've never encountered cheats in RO:Ost, ever. Even in mainstream games with a younger average audience such as CSS, I only come across individuals using hacks about once a month. I think the threat of cheating is blown up into a much larger issue than it really is. Hackers hardly ever last more than 10 minutes before being kicked or getting bored, and if all else fails join a different server.

A double system will obviously make these encounters even more rare, which admittedly is a good thing.

You never played COD2 in the first several months after it was released, then? Or BFBC2 in the first little while, when PB was broken?

Hacking doesn'th appen much on RO because, I think, of the audience type as much as anything else. It doesn't appeal much to the instant gratification must have crosshairs crowd, who are also the natural market for cheats.

Upvote 0
There will always be cheats, it's part of some people nature.

The competative sides need to win at all cost even cheating to do so, most of us realise it's hallow victory as it was not got fairly, but they dont

All anticheat stuff is good as it keeps the game fair, if we are to have 2 types im in favour.

Upvote 0
I've never encountered cheats in RO:Ost, ever.

Well, in 4 years, I've been suspicious a few times. One recently, when sniper killed 4 soldiers in one second, including me... alone in a room. When I died, I checked the list to see who killed me, aware that I was alone there. I couldn't believe i saw 3 names next to mine there. A few days later, another guy was complaining about the exactly same situation

Upvote 0
RO:O is full of cheats and exploits unfortunately. It's hard to find it on public games, but most experienced clans can find if somebody is using cheat. Tricky part is with exploits, which are tough to find b/c those use bugs of game.

Here are some examples of exploits from Ost.
- graphic abuse

8y6cyr.jpg

- sound exploit which allows player to hear everything on the map

- no recoil exploit which allow player to shot w/o recoil with PPsH weapon

All of those doesn't need any extra software to use, but knowledge of Unreal Engine. In that point I hope TWI fix players ini files and all variables will be checked by server in RO2.

For cheats I'm looking forward for something better than VAC... I hope TWI realize my suggestion and take care of XRay gaming. It's great and very powerful software, can help find cheaters and exploiters.

Upvote 0
the only reason you don't see that many hacks is because of systems like vac and punkbuster.

a good cheater can disguise his cheating very well.

Wrong, the main reason you don't see as much cheats is due to admins.
These anti-cheat programs take care of the casual cheaters, the once who are obvious and not smart, then there are these people who don't walltrace or use aimbot and but still cheats with more sophisticated software and smarter gameplay, they're harder to detect.

Modern Warfare 2 vs Cod4, MW2 has floods of cheaters and stats hackers.. why? Well the game is locked down and there is no one that can kick or ban or administrate anything.

But way to often in administrable games admins also get it wrong, especially in games like cs, cod, i've been playing it for a long time and, if i concentrate i could easily rack up a 30 / 1 ratio on S&D or TDM, obviously its gonna get me kicked, sadly only due to my stats and not how i play.

It's always a balance, i find it rather amusing getting kicked from random public servers when they believe i cheat, when i know i do not and never would.

When i run a server myself i never kick anyone that has a huge score unless i am sure he cheats .. it just takes a minute of observation and some common sense and then you can figure it out if your an avid gamer.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
personally i prefer punkbuster!!
I have some experience whit VAC in counter strike
and it sucks lol

Punkbuster aint really that much better than vac. Vac is good enough for public play, and does things just as well as punkbuster as long as the game makes sure that things that vac doesn't check are closed off by the engine (this is where cod MW2 failed).

However for competitive gaming things as vac don't work so well as its a black box with delayed banning. For competitive play in case of a player being accused of cheating the staff of a league/ladder must be able to investigate into a player. Otherwise people start losing trust in the teams and their players. Especially as private cheats that vac got a much harder time catching are much more common in competitive gaming.

For this you need the ability to check screengrabs, demorecordings ip and steam id, see the content configuration files, and be able to check programs running in memory.

There are existing programs like DMW and X-Ray that offer the needed functionality, although ideally the anti cheat system would be encorporated within the actual exe of the game. So cheats can not see when x-ray suddenly gets active to create a screenshot etc.

Anti cheat systems like these work so well because there are actual humans involved, but because of that reason it doesn't work well for public gaming.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Wrong, the main reason you don't see as much cheats is due to admins.
These anti-cheat programs take care of the casual cheaters, the once who are obvious and not smart, then there are these people who don't walltrace or use aimbot and but still cheats with more sophisticated software and smarter gameplay, they're harder to detect.

Modern Warfare 2 vs Cod4, MW2 has floods of cheaters and stats hackers.. why? Well the game is locked down and there is no one that can kick or ban or administrate anything.

But way to often in administrable games admins also get it wrong, especially in games like cs, cod, i've been playing it for a long time and, if i concentrate i could easily rack up a 30 / 1 ratio on S&D or TDM, obviously its gonna get me kicked, sadly only due to my stats and not how i play.

It's always a balance, i find it rather amusing getting kicked from random public servers when they believe i cheat, when i know i do not and never would.

When i run a server myself i never kick anyone that has a huge score unless i am sure he cheats .. it just takes a minute of observation and some common sense and then you can figure it out if your an avid gamer.

most dedicated servers don't have admins. especially true for source based games that use vac.

Upvote 0
Server admins are not really ideal against catching cheaters. At most they will spectate unless someone is blatantly locking onto people and making sudden 360 turns its quite a bit less obvious to catch a cheater. And most people stupid enough to use blatant cheats like that got them of a quick google for cheats and end up vac banned anyway.

Most of the case as well server admins consider someone that is significantly better than themselves a cheater. Just because they think a certain performance isn't humanly possible. Because the admins main reference is the performance of his direct environment.

Last edited:
Reactions: Major_Day
Upvote 0
I never openly seen a cheater doing his stuff in RO, but it did in Bad Company 2 and MW2. The lack of admins in MW2really showed that you really need admins, the hackers and cheaters in COD just laugh at other players...

But does VAC still works that well? Content hacks like altered skins are not detected by VAC2...

Upvote 0
Server admins are not really ideal against catching cheaters. At most they will spectate unless someone is blatantly locking onto people and making sudden 360 turns its quite a bit less obvious to catch a cheater. And most people stupid enough to use blatant cheats like that got them of a quick google for cheats and end up vac banned anyway.

Most of the case as well server admins consider someone that is significantly better than themselves a cheater. Just because they think a certain performance isn't humanly possible. Because the admins main reference is the performance of his direct environment.

MW2 is the most recent and fresh example that admins are indeed the most effective method against cheaters. No they wont be on 24/7 and no they can't see everything , and yes some of them abuse their power.

But it's what keeps the gaming clean, VAC & PB does it's mainstream
job but that's about it, they catch the common cheats for the most part.

In Clan gaming it's not even a problem really as you've demos, screenshots and other stuff, preventing cheating is rather easy , and whoever is caught will be excluded from say ESL,CB etc and on LAN events he'll be thrown out with his head first.

most dedicated servers don't have admins. especially true for source based games that use vac.

Umm? Logic doesn't compute, 95% of the dedicated servers are run by the community(not official servers) , therefor there is admins or people with admin capability, if they decided to use it and how often they are on their own server is another question.

Actually CS is one of the few games were i actually see admins on almost every popular PUB servers, it's even quite common with 1.6 and Source to have Admins that aren't even a part of the clan, just trustees with admin privileges, something which is a lot more rare in say COD.

Last edited:
Reactions: Major_Day
Upvote 0
I've never encountered cheats in RO:Ost, ever. Even in mainstream games with a younger average audience such as CSS, I only come across individuals using hacks about once a month.
But see, there in lies the problem. RO2 is going to reach alot more people than RO1 ever did -- just based on the fact that it's a truly modern AAA game, and looking at the online community's response so far.

With more people come more smacktards. It is the law of the interwebs.

Upvote 0
Is the OP insane? Punkbuster is the worst piece of software to hit the gaming industry. (apart from DRM) It is horrible! You get kicked and banned just because Punkbuster fails to update itself.
I have to agree here. I bought COD5 from Best Buy, and when i try to play with the Steam overlay, i always get kicked or ban for a few mins because Punkbuster thinks that i might be using a cheating program. And i remember browsing in the Steam and Punkbuster forums to find out that there is no plan in fixing this problem. :(

Upvote 0