• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Tank radios

Kashash

Grizzled Veteran
Jan 27, 2008
I was just wondering, how TWI is going to simulate in game the fact that most soviet tanks in early stage didn't have radio including T34/76, german tanks however were equipped with radio which were result of many tank combat accomplishments by being able to cooperate each other quick and take the enemy by surprise.

Last edited:
It would be really cool if the radios worked the same way in the game as they did in real life:

- The Germans could communicate with each other in each tank via regular voice communication
- The Soviet commander or squad leader/tank commander (or any other equivalent) could only communicate with the tanks, but the tanks could not communicate with each other

Maybe this could be a server option, or mandatory in the most realistic mode, where relaxed realism would have regular message relay to everyone on the team.

Upvote 0
Sorry, this is where gameplay > realism. Hampering communication is not good.
I rarely have a game where people talk with each other, so it would only affect the realism community out there. And since they are a "realism" community, I'm sure they would want the radios to be as realistic as possible.

We don't know if it will hamper gameplay anyway since the game isn't even out yet...

Reactions: Lucan946
Upvote 0
It sounds like a cool idea, but so do mortars, and those have never in the history of any game ever worked out well. Some stuff sounds cool, some stuff would be cool, but sometimes it just doesn't work. This sounds cool, but I imagine it would be very hard to make it work. If it does work though, that would be awesome.

Upvote 0
This is way too easy to break anyway, seeing as 80% of all players that play together in a clan , community or equivalent sit on a TS3 , Vent etc server. As someone mentioned above, gameplay > realism in this regard.. voice comm ingame is only of use on public servers when there are mature people around and for people who lack a clan, community and still wanna talk(which they rarely do).

Last but not least, ingame voip have a tendency to suck in quality..

Upvote 0
This is way too easy to break anyway, seeing as 80% of all players that play together in a clan , community or equivalent sit on a TS3 , Vent etc server. As someone mentioned above, gameplay > realism in this regard.. voice comm ingame is only of use on public servers when there are mature people around and for people who lack a clan, community and still wanna talk(which they rarely do).

Last but not least, ingame voip have a tendency to suck in quality..

I agree with everyone here. It would be too easy to beat with a TS server for groups etc. However a function such as the tanker radio voice only works for other tankers would add to the atmosphere of the game. This may cause too much confusion for new players though..:(

Upvote 0
With the squad system, I wouldn't be surprised if communication is only within the squad, unless your the squad leader.

Or at least maybe we'll get this in the realism mode.

Don't know if it'll be more fun, or just annoying.

Also, don't forget the Soviet's had signal lamps - so they did have some form of non-radio communication. Obviously, I don't want to have to learn Morse code.

Upvote 0
Why don't we implement this so that German tank commander can call artillery from any tank and soviets need special command tank to do that?

Because not every tank commander could call artillery. Ramm stated only the Tank Platoon Leader will have that ability. At least we won't have to hop out of the tank anymore to get to a radio.

Upvote 0
For clans perhaps. But on public servers it is very unlikely you will chat up with random players.

This.
Only few people communicate on a mic on public servers. Most people don't have thier computers in soundproofed booths where they can talk on a mic like "stop shooting!!1!" and ppl around him think he's crazy. Voice chat isn't really that effective, often you can't hear people and lot of people don't understand english. As there probably voice commands in RO2 will be vastly improved so will be much more effective, ppl will be using it now more often I believe. And my idea is to give russian tankers a 20-30 sec delay from receiving those commands so it simulates the difficulties of communication with no radio.

Last edited:
Upvote 0