• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Firebug- gasoline

Aug 28, 2010
I know a lot of people have posted about how firebugs should be able to use gasoline, but a lot of them weren't very serious posts (like gasoline in a Super Soaker) and I want to discuss it in detail where everyone can see.

What if Firebug could buy a thing of gas, pour it on the ground, and light it by shooting it with a gun? The fiery ground can either repel some weaker specimens, or cause specimens to catch on fire when they walk through it. After some time, the fire will go out.

Strategies:

• Redirect specimens or hold them off for a few seconds (or have a shootout on KF-Farm in a circle of fire- BAD ***!)
  • Pour A LOT of it, wait for weak specimens to walk over it, light it, watch'em burn (especially those annoying crawlers)
  • Illuminate dark rooms or if it's night outside
  • Pour it on Fleshpound/Scrake/group of clots, shoot, hooray!
  • Pour in circle, lure specimens into circle, ignite and trap them in for a couple of seconds (not sure how helpful it is, but looks cool)
  • Fire slows down Fleshpound and Scrakes, but also makes them rage. Timing an FP's rage with a pipe bomb using fire would be cool.
  • While fighting Patriarch, pour in strategic locations. When he steps on a puddle, ignite it and he'll catch on fire, making him easier to see when invisible. After some time he won't be on fire anymore so you'll have to kill him fast!

Additional Info:

At level 0 or something, Firebugs can only buy one or two gas tanks at a time, and as they progress they can carry more, like the Demo with Pipe bombs.

As Firebug progresses, ignited fire will stay lit longer, whether it's on specimens or the ground. But it won't last forever, that way the bigger enemies won't die too easy. Firebug is for support after all!

Gas tanks, no matter how many you have, will weigh about 6-8 blocks, or at least enough so Firebug can't have Flamethrower AND Gasoline (kind of like how pipe bombs always weigh 2)

Like grenades, gas tanks take up a slot in your inventory even if you run out. That way you can get more from ammo boxes, and kind of prevents the exploit of someone buying gas, pouring it out quickly, then picking up a flamethrower. Only way to get rid of inventory slot is to sell your gas tanks for a flamethrower.

Only Firebug can ignite gas by shooting it. Maybe he has special tracer rounds or something. Tracer rounds don't do extra damage to specimens, just look cool. That's another idea. Any gun firebug uses will have tracer rounds.

Whether it's on the ground or on a specimen, gasoline can be ignited by a firebug's bullet.

Allies may or may not be affected by fire on the ground. I haven't made up my mind about that.

So... What do you think?

I was unaware you could pour a gaseous substance onto the ground in the fashion of a liquid.

Though being able to pour petrol on the ground and ignite it would be pretty good for area denial and extra firepower.

Though having to choose between petrol tanks and a flamethrower? You're suggesting a nerf on par with making demo choose between GLs and pipes.

The tracer rounds was suggested prior in the form of incendiary rounds, which if applied to every gun the firebug has would make him underpowered. The most used backup gun the firebug uses is the Handcannon, and that's to kill husks. If that had incendiary/tracer rounds, the firebug would be useless against husks with guns; forcing him to use a Katana.

Upvote 0
Been suggested before, BUT Ive always wanted something like this so +1 from me. I didnt read all the details so Im not giving any comments on the balance issues or what not, but Im just saying this would be extremely fun and would provide another (mainly) defensive weapon and thats exactly what we need. Im tired of all that run and gun kind of gameplay, would be fun to have some more variety and possibilities to build up new tactics.

Oh and you are right, fighting inside a circle of fire would be badass :p
If the fire damages players by a decent amount, it wouldnt even be overpowered since in case of emergencies (2 fleshpounds!!) youd have to cross the lake of fire to get past and possibly dying in the process.

Last edited:
Reactions: yellowpaint999
Upvote 0
Good feedback

Good feedback

I can understand why choosing between petrol and flamethrower would be annoying. I'd rather have both flamethrower and cans of petrol than a modified flamethrower that can burn the ground. The game needs more of a "survival" feel. After all, every zombie movie has at least one person pouring gas or shooting a propane tank.

If firebug has both flamethrower and gas, then we can get rid of that tracer/incendiary round conundrum.

I also had another thought: setting welded doors on fire would be pretty cool. Specimen can suffer damage while they try to break through doors.

Upvote 0
I think we had a suggestion a while back about alt-fire for the flamethrower that would pour unignited fuel or whatever on the ground and primary fire would ignite it. I liked that a lot more than gas-canisters.
Personally i prefer the alt fire on the flamethrower in WTFmod. a conal burst of fire that does massive damage but chews through ammo. It actually can kill scrakes and FPs which is nice, it even pushes them back.

Upvote 0
Level 5 Firebugs would not need to make a circle, they would just coat an entire room, stand in the middle, ignite and be invincible until the fire dies down.

Course the main issue with this idea is it doesn't fit any of the firebugs needs. For a very small shot of flamethrower ammo, the Firebug can ignite whole rows of specimens very easily, or he can even use his grenades to makes mass ignitions. Not to mention he can choose when to fire and when not to fire, and igniting a fleshpound is always a bad idea unless your team is ready for it.

The other thing I don't like is speicmens wandering mindlessly into the flames doesn't make sense. Yes they are stupid, but unlike Zombies, ZEDs are actually alive. The reason they step on pipes is because they don't have the intellect to know what they are. However a wall of flames hurts. They do love pain, however they also do want to kill you. So they would simply group in front of it waiting for the time they would be able to pass through, making the gas tank useless.

Someone suggested this as a jerry can idea before, I didn't like it then, I don't like it now. It makes the firebug even more campy, it could only act as a mobile welded door, and it isnt' needed given the firebugs already simple ignition systems.

Reposting this for people who haven't seen it.

http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showthread.php?p=620048#post620048

Upvote 0
I like this kind of idea, hope it will come.

I think we had a suggestion a while back about alt-fire for the flamethrower that would pour unignited fuel or whatever on the ground and primary fire would ignite it. I liked that a lot more than gas-canisters.

Yes, alt-fire thing would be nice. Also easier to make i think.

YouTube - Lethal weapon 3 - opening

Upvote 0