• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

New Specimen "Leech"

nutterbutter

Grizzled Veteran
Feb 8, 2010
Leech is translucent, two foot wide bubble that crawls along walls or the ceiling. His method of attack is either jumping or dropping on a player's head. The player does not know that Leech attached to the player's head at first. After 5 seconds of being on the player, Leech starts the attack.

Every 2 seconds, Leech sucks 1 HP of health. And since Leech is sucking life, he is sucking blood so Leech will also lose his translucency as well by 1% every 2 seconds. Audio will also drop by 1% every second. So 25 seconds after Leech has attached to a player, he has dropped the player's life by 10 and he has also dimmed the lights by 10% and audio has dropped by 20%. 20 seconds later, health has dropped by 10 and now the light has dropped by 20% and audio has dropped by 40%. And so on. The health drain is continuous but the translucency drop stops at 50% and audio goes all the way to 100% loss.

How to kill Leech? The normal ways, but Leech reacts differently depending on how he dies. If Leech dies by fire or blade (knife included), the goo inside of Leech burns or simply pours out and harms no one. If Leech dies with gunfire, grenade, or by the chainsaw, Leech ruptures and does the same damage as the bloat's vomit in a 3 foot radius around the player and to the player. Standard "green bile screen", but red, to affected players. And that is how a single player has to kill Leech. Bring his health up and then drop a grenade close enough that Leech dies but the player doesn't.

Leech has 30 HP of health no matter the difficulty. Leech's HP can't really be raised because he has to be able to killed by a single player's grenade.

Here is my reasoning behind leech.
I wanted a specimen that attacks a player without the player immediately knowing he is under attack.
I wanted an attack that can't be easily removed by a Rambo.
I wanted a type of attack that affected how the player senses the world and slowly darkening the world seems to be a good choice.
I wanted an attack that the player could bear for a while if he needed to and deal with the specimen later. But the longer he waited the darker the screen would get and the quieter the world would get. Since any perk can heal faster than Leech could damage him, a player can heal up before using the grenade option on himself.

Another possible attack effect would be slowing the rate of turn of the player as well.
Another possible attack effect would be to slightly sway the aiming point because Leech's envelopment of the player's head would affect the player's inner ear.

Comment? Suggestions? Criticisms?

I like the leeching effect because it damages the player in ways other than health. Pretty unique IMO. :)

The even better part is the different ways you can kill it which causes different effects.

One thing I'm not overly keen on is the leech crawling on the ceiling; it's a good idea, but it probably won't work because on the outdoor maps you could get a leech crawling across the skybox. But to compensate for the inabilty to actually cling to ceilings, it could share spawns with stalkers and crawlers making it drop from odd places such as air vents.

The main problem is the rate of damage... It's waaay too slow and ineffective. When a crawler is attacking you, you kill it in less than a second, right? 5 seconds is too long a time to start actually taking damage and 1hp of damage a second is just way, way too little for the leech to actually be effective. The leech should really be able to start effecting players as soon as it latches onto the player.

Aside from these negative points, it's a great idea.

With a little polish, it's an even better idea! :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
One thing I'm not overly keen on is the leech crawling on the ceiling; it's a good idea, but it probably won't work because on the outdoor maps you could get a leech crawling across the skybox. But to compensate for the inabilty to actually cling to ceilings, it could share spawns with stalkers and crawlers making it drop from odd places such as air vents.

I also considered Leech to be spawned from a larger specimen. Same rules about dying. If the larger specimen was killed by fire or blade then the specimen just died. If the larger specimen was killed by gunfire, grenades, or chainsaw then several Leeches were spawned and thrown out.

The main problem is the rate of damage... It's waaay too slow and ineffective. When a crawler is attacking you, you kill it in less than a second, right? 5 seconds is too long a time to start actually taking damage and 1hp of damage a second is just way, way too little for the leech to actually be effective. The leech should really be able to start effecting players as soon as it latches onto the player.

Yeah, the damage rate is low, but a player can't really attack something on him without using the grenades. Plus the damage can't be too rapid because a player can't get hit with Leech as the last player left and then die a slow death. The player, no matter the perk, has to be able to heal quickly enough. The slow attack rate is a problem.

Aside from these negative points, it's a great idea.

With a little polish, it's an even better idea! :)

Thanks. Sure, more eyes on it mean a better specimen.

Upvote 0
I too like the idea of a specimen that effects you in ways other than just damage, but I don't like the idea of having to nade myself in order to get it off if I'm playing solo mode, or if I'm the last one alive. If I got a leech on me, realistically speaking (and yes I know, this game is far from realistic in many ways), I would take my knife, reach-up, and slice him off.

Perhaps instead of having to nade yourself, your alt-fire with the knife (and ONLY the knife so that a Berserker is less likely to accidentally kill it) will cause your character to pause a moment so he can reach-up and stab the leach. It would still be a bother since you're standing still and unable to fire for a few seconds while he does it, so you'd still have to prioritize other Zeds first, and you wouldn't look silly getting it off of yourself.

If we don't like the Alt-Fire idea, then maybe make it into a new bind. I don't think the X-button does anything by default, so we could add the "Check for leeches" command and default it there. It could work like the quick heal command where it automatically gets your knife out, then switches back to your last weapon when it's done.

This would also allow the Leech to do a little more damage, since now you don't need to worry about compensating for the fact that nading yourself would be part of the Leech's damage.

Upvote 0
It's a good idea to encourage teamwork, but really it sounds so absolutely, incredibly annoying that I'd hate to actually fight them or see them in the game. IMO it's a case of cure being worse than the disease; an unskilled rambo would be less infuriating than these leeches.

That was my thinking. A specimen that is slow damage and low priority at first. But if the player has to ignore it for any significant period of time, it becomes a huge pain in the ***. Ignore it for a few minutes and it becomes a huge hindrance.

I like this idea though. Very subtle, gets the paranoia going...

Thanks.

I too like the idea of a specimen that effects you in ways other than just damage, but I don't like the idea of having to nade myself in order to get it off if I'm playing solo mode, or if I'm the last one alive. If I got a leech on me, realistically speaking (and yes I know, this game is far from realistic in many ways), I would take my knife, reach-up, and slice him off.

Yeah, but I couldn't think of any other way for a player to do damage to himself.

Perhaps instead of having to nade yourself, your alt-fire with the knife (and ONLY the knife so that a Berserker is less likely to accidentally kill it) will cause your character to pause a moment so he can reach-up and stab the leach. It would still be a bother since you're standing still and unable to fire for a few seconds while he does it, so you'd still have to prioritize other Zeds first, and you wouldn't look silly getting it off of yourself.

I thought about that. Alt-fire knife first checks to see if Leech is attached but any additional coding other than the actual specimen drastically reduces any chance of implementation. (Takes it from slim to none :) )

How are you supposed to remove a leech from someone if you're playing on a FF server? They do exist.

Simply attack the player. One of the side effects of Leech is additional armor. After all, any damage done to the player would have to be applied to Leech first.

Vaecrius said:
How about the medic's syringe causes it to shrivel up and die, but only if it's stabbed right into the leech?

How would the healing syringe hurt it? What would be cool is if the healing syringe hit a headshot and healed Leech. :)

Upvote 0
Simple.

"oi meathead, you got a leech on ya! Stand still or i'll make swiss cheese out of you."

*Player stands still*

*Other player shoots/stabs the leech, killing it*

This seems pretty straightforward to me.

You really trust pubs to remove a Leech from you without incident? You're a better person than I am then...

Simply attack the player. One of the side effects of Leech is additional armor. After all, any damage done to the player would have to be applied to Leech first.

I'm not sure I understand this. So if you attacked a player would the damage be applied to them or the Leech or both?

Upvote 0
I sort of like this idea but it would make FF hell. You can still shoot it off but I don't trust some of the guys in the server to hit the leech and not my head.

Maybe. I was just thinking about the first 20 or 30 damage done to the player to be automatically applied to Leech. But from other's suggestions and comments, maybe only headshot damage is applied. So if Leech was on Player 1 and Player 2 fired a couple shots at him, any headshots would be applied to Leech and the body shots would damage the player. This would also mean that any damage done by headshots that wasn't applied to Leech would damage the player.

Very interesting idea.

Maybe if this were put in the WTF mutator the lethal injection would be used to kill the leech.

Sure. It is just another way to create damage but it couldn't be the only way. Not everyone would have it equipped.

Upvote 0
I'm not sure I understand this. So if you attacked a player would the damage be applied to them or the Leech or both?

This was the post I was thinking about earlier. Say Leech has 30 HP. My original way of thinking was that the next 30 HP of damage that was done to that player would automatically be applied to Leech first. Any damage above that would then be applied to the player.

But what if things were carried a little further? Say only headshot damage was applied to Leech. Say a clot hits and a gorefast hit a player at the same time. The clot does 20 HP of headshot damage to the player and the gorefast does 40 HP of damage to the player. Leech would still be alive. If the clot did 40 HP of damage then Leech would die and 10 HP of damage would be applied to the player.

I wasn't originally thinking of that, but if it would be possible to segregate damage like that then it would be great. Maybe even add in a way for Leech to heal himself if the damage doesn't kill him. Maybe +1 health to him every 4 seconds up to his maximum health?

Upvote 0
I thought about that. Alt-fire knife first checks to see if Leech is attached but any additional coding other than the actual specimen drastically reduces any chance of implementation. (Takes it from slim to none :) )
Yeah, that's why I said later in the post that they could make it into a new command that can be bound to a key which would work like the Quick Heal option except he'd get his knife out and stab the leech.

You really trust pubs to remove a Leech from you without incident? You're a better person than I am then...
If you have that little trust in your teammates, why are you on a FF server?

Upvote 0
"Oi meathead, you got a leech on ya! Stand still or I'll make swiss cheese out of ya."
*Player stands still*
*Other player shoots/stabs the leech, killing it*

This is my new Sig! :D

OFFT:
Is it just me or is there coming more and more suggestions about new zeds? Not that it's bothering me. What's bothering me is that most of them is actually good and original ideas.

OT:
Pretty decent idea. Could tweak it by having different types of leeches.
Instead of the one, you are suggesting, what about different types of leeches, depending on which zed, they are spawned from, when killed:
Husk: Leech on fire
Scrake: Leech with more Hp
FP: More damage or faster rate of damage
Siren: "squeeks" upon death (alike the scream from the Siren)

Upvote 0
If you have that little trust in your teammates, why are you on a FF server?

Whether or not I personally trust my teammates is irrelevant. The point is that it would open up opportunities for TKs, unintentional or otherwise, and likely cause an annoyance.

If there were a command similar to Quick Heal to remove Leeches then it would be different.

Upvote 0