• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Rock Paper Shotgun Tank Interview discussion

I'm actually on my iPad using in flight wifi on the way to pax. Hope you guys are digging all the info coming out today. Just a few things to note:

- The tank was put in the Danzig remake just for the trailer, the final map probably won't have a tank in it (although that is what mod tools are for).
- The interview talks about it, but just in case people missed it there are 4 crewable positions, driver, gunner, hull mg, commander.
- Tank crew live and die with the tank. They only spawn in the tank, and don't ever get out. If your crew dies, you can go back to the resupply area and they will respawn. And everyone will repawn together in the tank if the tank is destroyed.

This one here. At least that's how I understood it, that the crew never gets out...

Upvote 0
I'm not a fan of mouse-based turret rotation. It's not easier at all. It's just annoying because you're constantly shifting your mouse to the direction you want the turret to turn in, lifting up the mouse, repeating, etc. Good way to get RSI. It's much easier to just press a key, and it makes more sense for WWII tanks, too. So I hope it will at least be an option.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
"- Tank crew live and die with the tank. They only spawn in the tank, and don't ever get out. If your crew dies, you can go back to the resupply area and they will respawn."

Is this referring to only the AI tank crew?

Surely the actual player will be able to get out!

Can this be confirmed?

Tank crew (player or AI) will not be able to leave the tank.

Reactions: barakas
Upvote 0
I remember when they first switched to the keys and thought it was a bad idea but over time it does make more scenes. I know in BC2 i always turn up my sensitivity to more the guns around faster. I do see it being more accurate for small changes but maybe the keys would start with small changes then accelerate to full speed after you hold the key down for a short time.

Upvote 0
Tank crew (player or AI) will not be able to leave the tank.

That strikes me as an entirely pointless feature! Why implement this? Tankers should be able to disembark to root out campers in objectives, change tanks to even up a depleted crew, get a look at an area without disclosing their position e.t.c.

I fail to see the benefit of locking them into their tank?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I suppose because not many tankers actaully left there tanks during battles i expect, plus if they can now shot through walls would be a a bugger if you hide then they blow wall and jump out so you cant hide, especially as they now have an AI machine gunnner making it harder to sneck up as the whole tanks manned.

where as now if someone driving and he's alone can be looking in all directions

So this may be a balancing thing ? the not being able to get out

Reactions: barakas
Upvote 0
Agreed, that is an annoyance, but surely an animation to make them disembark at a realistic pace is what we need to see??

Yes, like time to open the hatch, and even make it so that the hatch can get damaged.

I can see many player frustrations with being locked in. It sure minimizes his options with the complete gameplay.

Upvote 0
Tank crew outside tanks are useless.
Tank crew bailing in a fraction of a second is stupid - especially when people bail as they're about to die.
Implementing a full disembark/embark animations for each crew & position and working that into the vehicles themselves would be a complex job for little or no real gain in gameplay.

I'll be honest I never, ever bail out of a tank - I stay with it until it dies, so I can go back to the spawn where I can get in another tank.

Reactions: Stormer
Upvote 0
The details of how tanks and their crew spawn are still pretty sketchy but as I understand it bailing out of tanks would be pretty pointless now. If you're able to respawn straight into a new tank when you die then you might as well fight to the death or /suicide rather than get stuck slogging it about on foot with a pistol. I'm not sure vehicles will even feature in Countdown, as from what we've seen it looks like that mode is more about localised 2-3 minute firefights per objective. But I guess we'll have to wait and see.

If I'm being honest the main reason I wanted fully animated crew exits is simply so I could gun down fleeing crew members. :eek:

Upvote 0
The details of how tanks and their crew spawn are still pretty sketchy but as I understand it bailing out of tanks would be pretty pointless now. If you're able to respawn straight into a new tank when you die then you might as well fight to the death or /suicide rather than get stuck slogging it about on foot with a pistol. I'm not sure vehicles will even feature in Countdown, as from what we've seen it looks like that mode is more about localised 2-3 minute firefights per objective. But I guess we'll have to wait and see.

If I'm being honest the main reason I wanted fully animated crew exits is simply so I could gun down fleeing crew members. :eek:

Same here, it's realistic so let's have it.

Upvote 0