• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Dirty Faces

He shouldn't have to. TW should already do this...

I know this might be hard to believe, but Russian and German soldiers were issued new uniforms and equipment. They even had SOPs for cleaning their uniforms and gear. So I'm not sure where this idea that you think these soldiers were in some perpetual state of filth comes from, other than some Hollywood movie.

Upvote 0
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I seem to remember one of the devs saying at some point that part of the veterancy system in the game is that your character will look different with time. You start out as a green recruit with a clean uniform, and the longer you play the more your character looks like a grizzled veteran.

If I find where I read this (on these forums) I'll post it.

Upvote 0
I know this might be hard to believe, but Russian and German soldiers were issued new uniforms and equipment. They even had SOPs for cleaning their uniforms and gear.

1. Dirt is a good camouflage.
2. Wool uniform has the bad habit of being ridicuously difficult to get truly dirty in real sense of the word.
3. Mildly dirty uniform is not an issue compared to unusable gear or weapon, atleast if you're in one of those first companies\battalions directly at the frontline rather than behind it. It's not that huge hygiene issue either, despite the fact you might smell like buffalo turd after few days without proper shower, which obviously was unavaible luxury back then.
4. There's no guarantee they could properly wash their clothing.
5. Long strech of supply in Stalingrad would make it difficult to suddenly get a new uniform unless you were truly lucky

They weren't living on any 5-star hotels as obvious as it sounds,

Upvote 0
Our game discussion traveled to character progression, in which players level and rank up. This progression eventually leads to the creation of the titular Heroes. Once at that level, characters will have access to special items and bonuses, but it's the visual cues that sounded interesting in the progression. When a character cracks open Heroes of Stalingrad, they'll be a clean-shaven recruit, sporting a leftover, worn weapon. As they make their way towards becoming a Hero, they grow towards being a hardened veteran. This doesn't mean everyone will be a muscled Rambo, but instead a more grizzled veteran in which your experience shows on your face and your clothes. Steiner, from the old film Cross of Iron, was their prototype Hero. But unlike the recruit's clunky, used weapon, the Hero gets a sharp, clean piece of machinery that will reign terror on their enemies (that's the aim, anyway).

Source:http://ve3d.ign.com/articles/features/53728/GDC-2010-Tripwire-Talks-Stalingrad

Upvote 0
That's awesome, even better than just having everyone dirty, everyone clean, or even just having them randomized. I know one thing for certain, during a battle the last thing you'll care about is getting dirty. You'll dive that pretty face right into the mud (or worse) to get outta the line of fire.

Upvote 0