• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Yet another imbalance in the perks...

C_Gibby

Grizzled Veteran
Jan 18, 2010
Before you read, the perk that seems to be suffering is the Commando.

It's suffering in comparision to all the other combat perks.

First off, the commando weapons have low base damage. Shotguns, pistols, rifles and flamethrowers are higher in base damage. The level 6 perks associated to these weapons get an extra 60% damage to these weapons. That's a lot, don't you think? The level 6 commando only gets a bonus of 50% to lower-damage weapons. Is this fair?

Another problem comes straight from the sharpshooter. A level 6 sharpie has a 60% reload speed bonus. A level 6 commando only has a 35% bonus.

My question is, do you think because of the other perks, the commando is lagging behind a bit? Should he be changed? Or should other perks (or just the sharpie) be brought down to his level?

EDIT: I attempted to post a poll with this thread but the limited time thing is just SODDING RIDICULOUS!!!
I will post the options below:

1. Leave commando as-is.
  2. Buff commando damage and reload speed.
  3. Bring other perks down to his damage and reload speed level.
  4. Nerf the hell out of sharpie anyway and change nothing else.

Last edited:
Reactions: _Duke_
Comparing the Commando to the Sharpshooter is like comparing a Toyota Avalon to a Pagani Zonda. Compared to the other remaining perks, the Commando has enormous ammo capacity coupled with high accuracy, low T3 weight allowing for additional weapons, including an M14 if you want to be trolly (I carry an AK, because I'm not), that gets an a 35% reload speed bonus as well. A Level 4 Commando with SCAR can basically 2-shot any Clot regardless of shot location, and headshot anything basic except for Husk with 1 shot. Carefully managed, a Level 4 Commando can whittle a Scrake down to just prior to rage, and then finish him off with a full magazine to the head. Sure, FPs are tough, solo, but still doable. Being able to see health also allows you to pick your battles.

Upvote 0
Everyone knows the Sharpshooter is out of whack currently. It's no good comparing that perk to any other because comparisons of imbalance are just that, imbalanced.

My most reliable perk is the Commando, I also frequent Firebug if anyone cares. The reason why Commando is so reliable is that he can combat any enemy at any range. He doesn't have to get close like Berserker or Support, nor is he limited to range like the Demo and the Sharpshooter (less on Sharpy, hence why I'm not really comparing). He's versatile.

Now as far as loadout, I typically carry an AK-47, a SCAR, and a Pipebomb. I use the AK as the workhorse and save the SCAR for bad situations or specimens that NEED removed. Sirens, Husks, Scrakes, Flesh Pounds. AK can handle anything else and once you're used to the sight, you can decapitate most everything.

I do use the Bullpup on Suicidal servers as a building weapon for a wave or two. I use it as my workhorse until I can afford the SCAR.

Commando is a perk I'd never change, it's just...right. It's not overpowered, it's not underpowered. It is right where it should be. The SCAR's ammo is the only question as you really shouldn't just use 1 gun for a whole wave on suicidal. Regardless, I can solo a Scrake with a combination of weapons. I typically leave them for someone else to handle, but if that isn't an option, I'll soften them with either 9mm or AK depending on the situation. Once they're right near half, I reload the softening weapon, swap to the SCAR, then level it on their head and go full auto. If I run out, swap to the workhorse and unload a few shots until it dies.

Works like a charm.

Upvote 0
Commando is the second most powerful perk in my eyes, maybe tied with support

SCAR is beyond devastating and I feel it needs a nerf

I would say a true berserker is perfectly balanced (No Crossbow or pipes).
Everything else needs to be nerfed to around about the same overall effectiveness of berserker after he finally gets a chainsaw buff, to promote actual teamwork

Commando was balanced with just the AK and Bullpup, SCAR just about took it overboard

Upvote 0
Commando is the second most powerful perk in my eyes, maybe tied with support

SCAR is beyond devastating and I feel it needs a nerf

I would say a true berserker is perfectly balanced (No Crossbow or pipes).
Everything else needs to be nerfed to around about the same overall effectiveness of berserker after he finally gets a chainsaw buff, to promote actual teamwork

Commando was balanced with just the AK and Bullpup, SCAR just about took it overboard

I too, think SCAR is rather beastly, but I wouldn't go as far to mark it as overpowered. It could use a reduction in the number of spare magazines at least.

Upvote 0
Yeah what is it? 11 mags at level 6? or 14?

Either way it's still too much, I would say 5 mags all together should do the trick.

It's 15 mags, each with 25 rounds. The damage is on par with the M14, but the Commando with SCAR doesn't get the huge headshot/bodyshot damage bonuses. The SCAR is prefectly fine damage-wise but the mags should be reduced to 10 (if reduced at all.) :IS2:

The sharpie takes the commando's job with his M14, and does it much better. And that shouldn't be like that at all.

Upvote 0
SCAR is not OP unlike M14... If u think too much ammo is OP then think about unloading 3 mags minimum to kill FP at hard difficulty. SCAR is a balanced weapon and the commando perk's 35% recoil reduction is not as helpful as sharpshooter's insanely godlike recoil reduction.

You shouldn't even be trying to kill a fleshpound on hard difficulty with commando solo, the SCAR actually gives you a pretty good chance of solo'ing a fleshpound, it shouldn't.

3 mags? is that it? wow. You will still have more than enough to finish the wave.

If the damage is kept the same but mags are reduced, then you'll cripple yourself for the rest of the wave if you solo a fleshpound, that seems like a fair trade off to me.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
You shouldn't even be trying to kill a fleshpound on hard difficulty with commando solo, the SCAR actually gives you a pretty good chance of solo'ing a fleshpound, it shouldn't.

I think he means literally, in solo mode.

I have never been able to solo a Fleshie on a 6-man hard. A full mag from a SCAR in the face seems to only erase 1/5 of his health. (I may have missed a few times. :confused:)

Reactions: EricFong
Upvote 0
Yeah what is it? 11 mags at level 6? or 14?

Either way it's still too much, I would say 5 mags all together should do the trick.

5 Mags?! Are you crazy? So then M14 should have like 3 mags. Yes, level 6 commando have 14 mags (though it's 15 if u count one in the gun) on SCAR, and im surprised that he have so much. At least 10 mags are enough.

I rarely run out of ammo on SCAR, maybe because i using Semi-automatic mode and a backup gun - AK47.

Commando is fine. Lower the ammo capacity on Sharpie first and then we gonna talk about Commando.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
On (6-man) suicidal you can solo Scarke after u secure all the area around you, but FP is not Commandos job. It's Job for the all Team.

Try to solo FP and you are brown bread.

So he is not overpowered as Sharpie is now.

I never said he was as overpowered as sharpie, sharpie is on a whole new level, but when the sharpie finally gets nerfed, Im betting we slowly see an overpopulation of commandos.

Although time will tell, sharpshooter is the main focus for now

Upvote 0
I never said he was as overpowered as sharpie, sharpie is on a whole new level, but when the sharpie finally gets nerfed, Im betting we slowly see an overpopulation of commandos.

Although time will tell, sharpshooter is the main focus for now

Well, the commando it's simple perk and easy to play with. But yeah, mags could be lowered to 10 and i don't see problem here as i use semi-automatic mostly.

Upvote 0