• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Stealing enemy tanks

Bessas

Mar 14, 2009
I`d like too see if WE could steal enemy tanks.Like we kill the commander or the driver or both with granade or with a weapon (while their head is out of the vehicle/tanks or while they jump out from tanks.In real war during WWI. and WWII. this happened many times.I keep in mind this is a game only.But what the developers say to my idea?OR anyone else from this community?Like it?PLease implement it to the game.It'll be fantastic,brilliant,funny,superior etc. :rolleyes:

When You capture an enemy vehicle for example a Tiger I. than on the tank everything remains the same just instead of german swastika on german tanks turns into a Russian Red Star.Or over the captured german tank appears a small Red Star and friendly units can identify the tank as a captured enemy vehicle.It cost some realism but plz give it a try.

Also I have an achievement idas for this:

1. PayBack Bronze: Capture an enemy tank and destroy 1 enemy vehicle with it.
2. PayBack Silver: ... kill 10 enemy vehicles.
3.PayBack Gold: ... kill 30 enemy vehicles.

Plz reply to my topic to keep it on spot!

Thx!

Happy gaming everyone!See You on virtual battlefield!

P.S.:Sorry my english is not perfect!

There were captured tanks, but I'm not sure how much they were used. I don't know that tanks are something that you can instantly jump in and learn how to use, even if you're an enemy tank crewman.
KTiger-sPzAbt506-Captured.jpg

Captured T34 by the Germans
t-34_camo_01.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
There were captured tanks, but I'm not sure how much they were used. I don't know that tanks are something that you can instantly jump in and learn how to use, even if you're an enemy tank crewman.

Hi!
Thx for the reply!In real life yes they captured enemy tanks and before using they studied the tanks.But what I mean just capture it in the game.Maybe there could be a TRAINING achievement to learn/complete to drive/use all tanks in the game - complete movement or shooting challanges with all tanks that are in the game.After You complete challange for ex. for a T-34 and You play as a german tank crew than if u neutralize an enemy T-34's tank crew than You can capture it and use it normally against other russian tanks.But when u kill a tank crew of an IS-2 without previously not completed IS-2 Training achievement than u are not allowed to capture enemy tank.

Maybe they can add this feature combined with some achievements - as the only way to capture enemy tanks.

Was just an idea!

Good gaming everyone!

Upvote 0
While i agree that it would be cool, i don't think it will fit in. I mean, i guess we won't see a lot of tanks anyways and the only captured tanks were abandoned by the crew. I doubt you could just hijack a tank with controls and all in a different language in the middle of a battle.

What I'd like to see though, is some sort of option to climb up on a tank and try to break the commander entrance open to get a grenade in :p

Upvote 0
While i agree that it would be cool, i don't think it will fit in. I mean, i guess we won't see a lot of tanks anyways and the only captured tanks were abandoned by the crew. I doubt you could just hijack a tank with controls and all in a different language in the middle of a battle.

What I'd like to see though, is some sort of option to climb up on a tank and try to break the commander entrance open to get a grenade in :p

This.

I don't think you should be able to use enemy tanks. However enemy trucks, jeeps and motorcycles should be possible to use in my opinion.

Also this.

BTW, Baine, your sig is offensive to the holy church of IS2. Recommend that you lose the end of the second line of your sig. The only thing that is a lie is the cake.

Upvote 0
Well maybe knowıng how to use an enemy tank could be chosen ın the load out screen or a feature you need to unlock. But I wonder, when you get to an enemy tank wıth stıll a drıver or a machınegunner ın ıt, ıts probably possıble to get ın the turret whıch would result ın confusıng but hılarıous sıtuatıons.

Upvote 0
having already captured vehicles in maps? sure.....example the captured t34 as seen in blackday july.

allowing players to "steal" tanks during actual battles? no. it's not realistic and would really hurt gameplay.

"stealing" other vehicles? i guess that could work seeing as even the average soldier could opperate trucks/jeeps/halftracks. although i'd not want to see that implimented "DH" style.......those "combine arms" maps with kubels/jeeps/trucks running back and forth from cap to cap and spawn to spawn is just absurd. opel blitz trucks with americans driving back into allied spawn to pick up players is just a recipe for disaster.

Upvote 0
It just doesn't fit to RO gameplay.

1st you need to answer yourself in what cases tank crew members abandon their tank?
Usually when tank is damaged and unable fight. Then, when battle is over military can capture enemy tank, repair and decide to use it. I cannot imagine engineers in middle of battlefield repairing enemy tank.

2nd as what mentioned before how many % of crew knows how to use enemy vehicles? I believe, that trucks or cars aren't somehow so much different, but tank is another story.

3rd even if we accept that there is elite tank crewman who is able to drive enemy tanks, that still require to answer for question number 1, how he get the enemy vehicle? Steal from enemy base? Can't be, enemy bases have spawn protection and minefield.

If we would allow teams to enter and attack enemy bases, spawnpoints it might finish like in Battlefield game series. One MG cover spawn area killing all respawning soldiers, then rest of team can easy steal vehicles and ruin whole game. What's more, some maps doesn't have AT weaponry, but have tanks. So if one team capture all tanks on map, second team can leave the server for obvious reason...

ps. I cannot imagine IS-2 :IS2: captured by axis :IS2:!

Upvote 0

Yeah!! ROHOS is not balanced for that! xD

Nah, seriously. I don't think it is a good idea. In RO, battles are short and fast, I don't think in real life you could just steal a tank in the heat of battle, run around and don't expect to be owned by your own army. A captured tank must be painted, or marked and crew trained, which takes time.

In RO there was a captured T-34 (in black day july, I think), but it was present from the start of the match, which was more plausible, because the "capturing" process was done before the current battle.

Upvote 0