• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Will ROHOS have a real votekick system?

NoxNoctum

Grizzled Veteran
Jun 15, 2007
I'm thinking something as simple as the system in L4D. You pull up dude's name, and everyone else presses F1 or F2 to vote yes or no to kick him.

The system right now I think I've seen someone kicked TWICE in the entire time I've been playing this game (nigh on 4 years now). This has to be in because otherwise if an asshat takes a key role it can totally throw the game.

I hope that it will use a (Kills/Deaths)*(Kills/Minute) ratio for killing performance. In territory its not only about how many you kill in 1 live (K/D), but how quickly (K/M) you kill as well.

Someone making 4 kills and dying once isn't better than someone with 40 kills and dying 11 times. Kill/Death shows quality/efficiency of killing, Kills/Minute shows quantity/speed of killing, and in a game of 30 mins where you can have multiple tries the quantity gets to be just as important as the quality.

For teamwork ratio i hope well see a (Points/Deaths)*(Points/Minute) ratio as well.

The additional benefit of utilizing a points/minute in the scoring is that if someone plays for 10 minutes you can still compare the score with someone that played for an hour. So someone that has been playing longer in the map doesn't have a higher chance of ending up higher in the scoreboard.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The "simple system" in L4D is a catastrophe but this is due to the low player count more than anything.

That being said some thought is going to be needed on this subject. I am the first to acknowledge (due to personal experience:p) that we are all apt to have off days, how this will tie in to the ranking/heroes concept, I just don't know.

TKs and spawn stuff can be set auto-kick, so this is not so much a problem.

Upvote 0
RammJeager has already said that it will be possible for servers to set a minimal and maximal skill limit. This means that if some 1337 dudes that would otherwise kick people, can simply change the limit.

And this means as well that new people can lock out people that are super good that stomp all the way over them.

But "l33t" players can be retards too so it doesn't really fix it.

I'm not just talking about people here who are new to the game and take the sniper role or whatever. I'm talking about people who are NOT new to the game and take a key role just to dick around with it and piss everyone off (because quite a few people get off on that as you know if you've been on the net for any length of time)

Upvote 0
But "l33t" players can be retards too so it doesn't really fix it.

I'm not just talking about people here who are new to the game and take the sniper role or whatever. I'm talking about people who are NOT new to the game and take a key role just to dick around with it and piss everyone off (because quite a few people get off on that as you know if you've been on the net for any length of time)

Maybe put in a few variables. Like if someone has a whole lot of TKs, votekick is enabled (either called up by a player, or automatically).

Upvote 0
Maybe put in a few variables. Like if someone has a whole lot of TKs, votekick is enabled (either called up by a player, or automatically).

that is the forgive system pretty much people that get tked say whether someone did it on purpose or not (which is why i'm for a reversed forgive system where you must accuse someone instead).

The kick feature was too hidden, there are plenty of ways to be a bastard without any system detecting you like blocking a doorway, singing on the microphone swearing on the chat. Its good to have automated systems in place, but if someone is an *** it should always be possible to kick someone in a nice easy and accessible way.

Upvote 0

Well like I said, TKs are not the issue (because most servers have TK limits and stuff anyways in RO). I'm talking about someone taking a valuable class and wasting it, either intentionally or unintentionally.

And they don't have to be kicked out of the game, just kicked out of the class. I'd like to see ROHOS have an easy to use system for both.

If you've ever played Project Reality it's called "wasting assets" and is a kickable, even bannable offense on almost every server worth its salt.

Example: Dude who doesn't have much experience flying a helo takes one, a squad jumps in, ready to land on top of a mountain and start launching rockets at an enemy position... guy crashes into the mountain. He does it again the next attempt as well. He gets a warning: Get out of the class or get kicked. This is the sort of thing I'm talking about. And like I said it can be unintentional (guy is a newbie, in which case Zets thing about servers restricting to high ranked players would fix) or intentional (guy is high ranked but gets off on ruining games). Now on PR servers, they're always adminned, so you don't really need a votekick system, but on RO servers they often aren't! And they shouldn't need to be.

THIS is why we need an EASY TO USE system to kick people both from the game, and from a class if they're wasting it. Having to press Esc, go to game controls, and vote kick and then find the dude's name on a scroll down list is NOT an easy to use system, especially when there's no "pop up" asking people whether they want to kick this person. (so you have to resort to spamming chat telling people to votekick so-and-so for such-and-such and then explain how to do it)

L4D's system is one example, and it's been a very long time but I believe America's Army (the original one from years ago) had a very easy to use votekick system as well.

Reactions: Attilaken
Upvote 0
Well like I said, TKs are not the issue (because most servers have TK limits and stuff anyways in RO). I'm talking about someone taking a valuable class and wasting it, either intentionally or unintentionally.

And they don't have to be kicked out of the game, just kicked out of the class. I'd like to see ROHOS have an easy to use system for both.

If you've ever played Project Reality it's called "wasting assets" and is a kickable, even bannable offense on almost every server worth its salt.

Example: Dude who doesn't have much experience flying a helo takes one, a squad jumps in, ready to land on top of a mountain and start launching rockets at an enemy position... guy crashes into the mountain. He does it again the next attempt as well. He gets a warning: Get out of the class or get kicked. This is the sort of thing I'm talking about. And like I said it can be unintentional (guy is a newbie, in which case Zets thing about servers restricting to high ranked players would fix) or intentional (guy is high ranked but gets off on ruining games). Now on PR servers, they're always adminned, so you don't really need a votekick system, but on RO servers they often aren't! And they shouldn't need to be.

THIS is why we need an EASY TO USE system to kick people both from the game, and from a class if they're wasting it. Having to press Esc, go to game controls, and vote kick and then find the dude's name on a scroll down list is NOT an easy to use system, especially when there's no "pop up" asking people whether they want to kick this person. (so you have to resort to spamming chat telling people to votekick so-and-so for such-and-such and then explain how to do it)

L4D's system is one example, and it's been a very long time but I believe America's Army (the original one from years ago) had a very easy to use votekick system as well.

I pretty much agree with this.
I've played plenty of battles on public servers where the whole team knows we have a skilled sniper in our mids, then the server restarts to the same map and a newbie gets sniper position, actually wasting the sniper position. The whole team screams out to give sniper class to that great sniper guy but the newbie refuses. Same goes for squad leader in some maps (like where we need smoke on certain strategic positions or for those necessary artillery strikes to break through a defense).

The outcome of a battle depends on the players in the team; everyone accepts that. But if the talent is there, it becomes frustrating to see your team losing the battle because of some newbies with a fast PC/connection grabbing those key positions.

So I'm very much pro to make 'class kicks' a server option next to 'session kicks'. It does not have to be active everywhere so there can be 'arcade' servers as well. I personally just won't go play there.

And yes: starting the kickvote procedure in current RO is too complex. Voting should be a simple one-click or one-button action.

Upvote 0
I pretty much agree with this.
I've played plenty of battles on public servers where the whole team knows we have a skilled sniper in our mids, then the server restarts to the same map and a newbie gets sniper position, actually wasting the sniper position. The whole team screams out to give sniper class to that great sniper guy but the newbie refuses. Same goes for squad leader in some maps (like where we need smoke on certain strategic positions or for those necessary artillery strikes to break through a defense).

The outcome of a battle depends on the players in the team; everyone accepts that. But if the talent is there, it becomes frustrating to see your team losing the battle because of some newbies with a fast PC/connection grabbing those key positions.

So I'm very much pro to make 'class kicks' a server option next to 'session kicks'. It does not have to be active everywhere so there can be 'arcade' servers as well. I personally just won't go play there.

And yes: starting the kickvote procedure in current RO is too complex. Voting should be a simple one-click or one-button action.

I'm all for a new voting system but there has to be measures in place to make sure it can't be spammed. I believe it was CS:S I played, where people would just start kick votes because they didn't like somebody (for whatever reason). Mob mentality would lead to people getting kicked sometimes. If the first vote failed, they'd start again. Since on some servers it was a pop up, people would quickly press the yes button to get the pop up out of the way (although that may have been TF2, my memory is starting to blend games together).

Upvote 0
Isn`t the access to certain classes (commander etc.) not anyways restricted from off the beginning to a certain rank/experience level? This would already in parts protect players from having a 0skill key personality on their side.
Apart from that if someone really does not want to cooperate or do as the team needs the good old kick vote still very often does the job.
Although we might not be able to remove ppl from their classes i would rather like to see information and education for novice players. Warning and trying to sensibilize them for the challenges to come. Barriers that are set too high and a community that does not tolerate or give any slack to newbies could end up not being able to attract as many players as it was theoretically capable of. Don`t get me wrong, a class removement vote would be great but on the other hand, why not keep it simple and try to teach players and increase their skills by more positive means?

Upvote 0
Isn`t the access to certain classes (commander etc.) not anyways restricted from off the beginning to a certain rank/experience level? This would already in parts protect players from having a 0skill key personality on their side.
Apart from that if someone really does not want to cooperate or do as the team needs the good old kick vote still very often does the job.
Although we might not be able to remove ppl from their classes i would rather like to see information and education for novice players. Warning and trying to sensibilize them for the challenges to come. Barriers that are set too high and a community that does not tolerate or give any slack to newbies could end up not being able to attract as many players as it was theoretically capable of. Don`t get me wrong, a class removement vote would be great but on the other hand, why not keep it simple and try to teach players and increase their skills by more positive means?

Yes actually I like your positive approach on this. I think both worlds can be served and both goals can be met when admins have the option to set their server with or without a class kickvote (and so many other possible options). This would allow serveradmins to target a certain group of players they wish to focus on (arcade-lovers, realism-'die hards',...). As long as players are well informed about the server restrictions they are playing on, I'm sure they will understand and don't need to feel unwelcome in RO:HOS. It also would produce a spectrum of servers, from soft-easy-going through extreme-raw-hardcore. This would be great for everyone, including Tripwire on a commercial level !

Upvote 0
I think players should have possibility to kick other players from their function too. I understand and truly believe that Heroes/Rank system will restrict specific classes to "best" or "experienced" players, but in that case I've been always a pessimist. All rank system were exploited or abused by noobs however devs tried to make it safe. I hope that Tripwire make it really good but how i would like to see "votekick" function:

1. Kick player from server (to kick teamkillers, AFKers, trolls, spammers, IS-2 haters ;) etc), all players from server have to vote, over 50% of votes kick player.
However teamkiller might be kicked if his team (not all players) votes over 50%
2. Kick player from his current role (not from server) and give him another which is free (rifle for example), players from his team vote, over 75% of votes allow to perform that action. It could be used if player doesn't know how to play as commander, plays bad, <younameit>

Votekick, votemap and all other polls should be visible on the players screen (like in source game for example) and player by pressing specific button can make a vote.

edit: Also newbie players should take a part in tutorial first before they unlock specific classes for multiplayer game. In single player they can play whatever they want and practice

Last edited:
Reactions: Attilaken
Upvote 0