• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Tactics Important perk tips and tricks for players

that is a lot more successful as a medic than beserker because you ultimately dont turn out as groundbread.

as a commando, i like to run scar, ak47, and mp7. i take the mp7 to help out the team medic, or act as one if the team doesnt have one. in times where it is wave 10, and an fp comes in and mauls everyone, and there is that brief time to regroup and heal eachother, it is quicker to shoot 2 mp7 shots at people along with 2 syringes. people get healed much quicker. you can also heal someone else and then urself without delay.

Ha, for a medic, I will choose trying to make the fp target me instead. I may be not enough to do damage, but I am more than enough to "take" damage.

Upvote 0
Ha, for a medic, I will choose trying to make the fp target me instead. I may be not enough to do damage, but I am more than enough to "take" damage.

Yeah i do that to. As medic i do MP7 and Xbow, so i can take out scrakes with headshots. But i cant 1 headshot FP (I play hard and sui :) ) and the SS who can do that always buy M14, and i always say that atleast 1 one of them should buy a xbow. But they dont and 2 FP's and 2 scrake spawn right away and we get owned. I really hate that all SS use M14 and not Xbow.

Upvote 0
I sensed that is what you were referring to initially; as I finished my reply I thought, instead, that I should have suggested a rewording. Something like, "Yes, the M14EBR has a fancy little laser, but your 9mm doesn't. Learn to achieve head shots without an aid, because you won't always have an EBR."

.: Nubbers :.

Added to the list :D

Upvote 0
Yeah i do that to. As medic i do MP7 and Xbow, so i can take out scrakes with headshots. But i cant 1 headshot FP (I play hard and sui :) ) and the SS who can do that always buy M14, and i always say that atleast 1 one of them should buy a xbow. But they dont and 2 FP's and 2 scrake spawn right away and we get owned. I really hate that all SS use M14 and not Xbow.

You can decap 6-man hard fps with two xbow shot. The first will rage him and you can place the second one when he is raging, so hard is not a problem.

For suicidal, you will need 3 shots if I remember it right. But if those ss really rely on you to take out fps, they suck.

Upvote 0
Ah yes, one more really useful tips for demos.

You have ELEVEN nades. And zeds WILL avoid hand grenades, so you should throw 1-2 nade to a group of zeds and then shoot one more nade using your nade launcher.

So the hand nade will give nearly full dmg + the nade from nade launcher + explosive dmg bonus = HUGE damage.

Pipe + 2 nade + m79 nade launcher can instan-kill a 6-man suicidal fleshpound.

Upvote 0
Ah yes, one more really useful tips for demos.

You have ELEVEN nades. And zeds WILL avoid hand grenades, so you should throw 1-2 nade to a group of zeds and then shoot one more nade using your nade launcher.

So the hand nade will give nearly full dmg + the nade from nade launcher + explosive dmg bonus = HUGE damage.

Pipe + 2 nade + m79 nade launcher can instan-kill a 6-man suicidal fleshpound.

Something to note about this: The grenades will combine damage so long as they are in the blast radius of each other...not within the blast radius of the zed.

In other words if I throw a series of 4 grenades out in a fan pattern so they all land in a line then ALL 4 grenades do 4 grenades worth of damage...even the grenades on the ends of the line.

The damage "chains" kinda like a union in a Venn diagram vs an intersection

Upvote 0
General tips

• Don't weld all doors to keep the ZEDs out. It's a wave-based game and the ZEDs have to breach those doors at some point. If there are two doors, it's good to weld just one of them because ZEDs will take a longer walk to get to the open door and there will be less ZEDs at one time. If you do the former method, you may expect to be assaulted by 100 ZEDs as soon as those doors give in.

- - -​

That part about having fewer mobs to deal with at one time is the most important reason why you should never weld off every entrance into a particular room. Yes, they will break through, and by definition it will occur when there are an arse-ton of mobs banging on the door (read: more than you can handle effectively, made harder when you have no egress because it, too, was welded shut).

A couple tips that I thought about suggesting, but didn't before because you didn't have a general tips section, are these:

• On all difficulties besides Beginner, you get one minute in between each wave to be utilized for the replenishment and/or upgrade of weapons. That is a lot of time. You can utilize this time one of three ways:

[1] Be on the opposite side of the map and spend 25 seconds commuting, only to spend another 25 seconds sitting in the trader pondering if you should buy those two grenades. (Just fyi, no, you shouldn't)

[2] Be on the opposite end of the map and spend 25 seconds scavenging, finally using the trader to supplement whatever you could not replenish on your own.

[3] Be close to the trader, buy what you need (not want) and then spend 30 seconds picking up weapons or ammo to replenish funds.

Before you scream bloody murder, know that in the latter two, I can still be in position for the next wave, and in most cases before all others on my team. This efficient utilization of time is a segue into my next point.

- - -​

• If you didn't get quite enough kills to replenish your ammunition, don't start crying for money. Why? Because there are bloody ammo boxes and free weapons scattered EVERYWHERE! (This is less true on harder difficulties, naturally)

On a typical normal or hard game, I can easily supplement my earned income by selling freebies and replenishing all ammunition without aid from the trader. This is a strategy, not a crutch; nothing annoys me more than some lazy bloke who can't be bothered to take a few moments to get ammunition that will be the difference between survival or becoming zombie mouth-adorning viscera.

Upvote 0
In hindsight, sure, comprehensive lists to hold our proverbially hand are nice.

But upon further retrospection, I also appreciate the time spent learning these tenets for myself (or observing and applying, within the game, what other players had figured out).

For me, there is an indistinguishable line between operating on another's advice and discovering, through trial and error, what is necessary to excel at a game. Irrespective of how compendious a tip guide may be, it can still largely be 'armchair' suggestions. You can't teach through so informal a medium as these forums discretion and adaptation of application (how and when to 'do' certain things based on fluid contexts within an ever-changing game).

But you can provide structure and certain baseline, unwritten maxims that operate within the game's social system; and that, coupled with one's capacity to evolve as the game is played, is why we bother posting these page-long guides in the first place.

Reactions: Vaecrius
Upvote 0
and that, coupled with one's capacity to evolve as the game is played, is why we bother posting these page-long guides in the first place.

And I'm certainly glad I did! :D

Anyway, giant update to the list. I've added a couple more tips/alterations to some tips for just about every perk, and a lot more tips in the "general tips" section.

Upvote 0
Dude you just wrote a guide for life.:IS2:

A thing I should remind myself when playing med like this: On hearing the fleshpound idle sound, hit Tab and make sure whether this is a "Normal" or "Hard" server. D:

You can decap 6-man hard fps with two xbow shot. The first will rage him and you can place the second one when he is raging, so hard is not a problem.
You actually NEED more than one xbow headshot to kill an fp on hard... and here I was thinking I sucked this whole time and kept complaining I couldn't figure out where the thing's head was :(

Upvote 0
I'm not sure if this is common knowledge or whatever but I don't think I've ever seen it in a tips thread. ( I couldn't see it up there but if it is then completely ignore me :) )

You can cause your hand grenades to detonate earlier if you shoot them with a grenade launcher. This can be quite useful as it prevents Zeds from managing to run past your hand grenades. For example, you could throw 2 / 3 grenades at a charging scrake, and then shoot the scrake with the grenade launcher - causing the hand grenades to explode at the same time.

Similarly, when playing as a Firebug you can cause your incendiary grenades to blow up earlier by hitting them with a burst of fire from the flamethrower. So again, you could throw a hand grenade and then cause it to detonate earlier by hitting it with a burst of fire - which makes it slightly easier to make sure you hit your target.

I'm not sure if shooting them with a grenade launcher causes them to do less damage, but it could come in handy every now and then.

Upvote 0
I'm not sure if this is common knowledge or whatever but I don't think I've ever seen it in a tips thread. ( I couldn't see it up there but if it is then completely ignore me :) )

You can cause your hand grenades to detonate earlier if you shoot them with a grenade launcher. This can be quite useful as it prevents Zeds from managing to run past your hand grenades. For example, you could throw 2 / 3 grenades at a charging scrake, and then shoot the scrake with the grenade launcher - causing the hand grenades to explode at the same time.

Similarly, when playing as a Firebug you can cause your incendiary grenades to blow up earlier by hitting them with a burst of fire from the flamethrower. So again, you could throw a hand grenade and then cause it to detonate earlier by hitting it with a burst of fire - which makes it slightly easier to make sure you hit your target.

I'm not sure if shooting them with a grenade launcher causes them to do less damage, but it could come in handy every now and then.

See smilin's post above about "chaining".

The grenades do MORE damage when pre-detonated.

Upvote 0
A little "spare weapon" ettiquite would be nice.

I bought no less than FIVE extra flamethrowers in this game last night. Come wave 9 things were going pear shaped so I started hosing instead of tapping. When I ran out of ammo I threw the gun down and headed to my pile of... hey what the fock? Where's my ammo? Where are ALL FIVE of my guns?

I'm not saying don't ever touch my spares. An individual running around with no weapon isn't doing much for the team so by all means pick it up. Heck, pick up two if you need them. Just don't go selling it for money! Trust me if I can buy five extra flamethrowers then I've got some spare cash I'll happily give you.

Upvote 0
Another firebug tip (you can tell I'm trying to finish off my final perks)..

I stole this from another thread and used it last night. Instant way to get out of a clot moshpit:

Throw a firebug grenade at your feet and give it a puff from the flamethrower. The flamethrower will instantly detonate it, and because it's fire damage rather than concussion you the firebug will not be harmed.

Edit: stole from THIS thread apparently. :p

Last edited:
Upvote 0