• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Question on destructible environments

So let me start out by saying WOW at the fact that destructible environments are going to be in RO:HOS at all ... honestly I didn't think it would happen.

Now on to the question: Other than small wood houses, fences, and crates, will any larger structures sustain damage? Like in that Spartakovka map demonstrated, is there a way to punch holes in the big building's stone walls? Or blow up parts of a stone fence?

It's just that the demonstration videos don't give a very clear picture of how far the destruction system actually goes. We know we won't be flattening entire buildings, but will large buildings still be partially destroyable?

So let me start out by saying WOW at the fact that destructible environments are going to be in RO:HOS at all ... honestly I didn't think it would happen.
Yes, despite the fact that a few of us thought this was really important to have, and stuck our heads above the trenches and said so.

I'd like the transition of destruction to appear less abrupt if possible, maybe using more smoke and dust cover to assist the illusion (this is just polishing stuff though).

After asking about *what Stalingrad we would see modeled in HOS* in another thread, Alan gave a wink to some of the new things we might have expected at Gamescon. Since then he's also detailed his thoughts about the level of destruction caused by aerial bombs as opposed to artillery hits. This makes me wonder whether we'll see the Luftwaffe doing its due damage to the city's reinforced concrete structures (remember, there's still a blank space on the commander's GUI interface available which could accommodate calling in air strikes). ;)

Commanders_GUI.jpg

Upvote 0
In retrospect, now it seems actually kind of silly that a game like this wouldn't have any sort of destructible environments -- I mean, we're talking about a battle that thoroughly transformed and disfigured an entire city over the spam of a few months.

Destruction basically became a major theme of the battle, and you could even say it helped determine the outcome of the battle itself. So looking at it in this light, it's hard to imagine a Stalingrad game that doesn't portray destruction that such a massive battle would bring to a city and its populace.

Upvote 0
Now you're talking.

There's always too much bravado about what a favorite game means anyway, or why some other system is borscht, even claims made how some player group will kick another's a$$. Once the next-gen version comes along so many of these things are history, all the absolute statements once made need reworking, considerations of features derided become appreciated, and it's the second coming.

Then the whole process starts all over again. :IS2:

Upvote 0