• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Squad Spawning - interesting implication

Mormegil

Grizzled Veteran
Nov 21, 2005
Nargothrond
We've learned that squad leaders respawn at the standard spawn, while their underlings spawn near the squad leader.

That makes an interesting implication for the game. It really, really makes the squad leader very important. If you're defending and trying to clear out a cap zone, and you take out a regular soldier, they'll be replaced pretty soon by a spawn nearby. So if you take out everyone but the squad leader, they'll eventually spawn close by.

But if you take out the squad leader, any other soldiers you take out won't have that head start, and will spawn back with their SL wherever either at spawn, or en route.

That also means, as a SL, you really should try not to die, more so than a regular soldier. That also makes marksmen/snipers more important, as they can better identify the SL, and take them out.

Any thoughts? I understand some other games already have such a feature. How does it play out on them?

I'm impressed that after so many years in this forum seeing sugestions, TWI can come up with awesome stuff on their own that I havent seen here before

:IS2::IS2:

In all actuality from the moment that BF2 released multiple things like this have been suggested by people to keep units more together ;).

What i'm afraid of though is that the time to return to the place where you got killed might be a little bit short. Usually when you killed someone you had about a minute or 2 before he could try to get revenge. You do not spawn in the cap zone your SL is in or in sight of enemies, but how long will it take to get back in the action.

It would be nasty if you kill someone from a hidden position, and a grenade lands where you are a mere 10 seconds later by the person you killed.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
In all actuality from the moment that BF2 released multiple things like this have been suggested by people to keep units more together ;).

What i'm afraid of though is that the time to return to the place where you got killed might be a little bit short. Usually when you killed someone you had about a minute or 2 before he could try to get revenge. You do not spawn in the cap zone your SL is in or in sight of enemies, but how long will it take to get back in the action.

It would be nasty if you kill someone from a hidden position, and a grenade lands where you are a mere 10 seconds later by the person you killed.

thats your fault for not killing the squad leader =P

Upvote 0
I'm copying another post of mine:
the squad system, what bothers me is the respawning next to the squad leader, same as Bf2. What about when in the big tank maps, a lot of the fun and reward was actually traveling all that distance to get back to where you were, also it made people be more careful and thoughtful, otherwise they would be traveling the big journey again.
If this cannot be turned off your going to see on the big maps, call of duty style rambos who don't care if they die cause they can respawn next to their squad leader and that sucks.
I really hope Tripwire allows the option to turn this off.

Upvote 0
I don't think "next to" is the write word. Ramm says near the SL but not near enemies etc so it sounds like you'll be a reasonable distance. Besides, what if the SL just died? etc

And I certainly don't think the same thing will apply for vehicle combat...the system is there to make infantry combat better so you don't have to run for 2 minutes before getting in a firefight.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I know when i play bc2 with we have one person say back and the 3 others attack. when there isn't much of a threat that person moves forward. I have a feeling that a SL is going to be sitting back out of the action as a forward spawn point. I know they said you wont be able to spawn on them in a cap point but it doesnt take much to sit on the edge of a point and jump out so people can spawn.

Another thing I don't like is I like playing as mg and locking down a area. I let the rest of my time know when 1 or 2 guys get through. Now if it was a SL there could be multiple people instead of just 1. Part of the challenge should be taking out the mg that is stopping your advance no squeak a SL by and spawn on them.

I have a feeling this is one of the features that will be turned of in HC mode but then another worry of my occurs where like in Killing Floor you really don't know what is turned on or off and the game varies to much from sever to server.

Upvote 0
I'm impressed that after so many years in this forum seeing sugestions, TWI can come up with awesome stuff on their own that I havent seen here before

:IS2::IS2:

They don't take much of what we say lol. By the time we are suggesting things most of them are either being implemented or already disregarded as something they thought of and dumped.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
They don't take much of what we say lol. By the time we are suggesting things most of them are either being implemented or already disregarded as something they thought of and dumped.

No disrespect intended, you haven't really been on this forum long enough :p

There's a phenomenal amount of ideas and things that are in HOS that have been flying around the ideas and suggestions forums for ages.

Upvote 0
I think something similar to the rally point system from Project reality (bf2mod) would work best. Squad leader places it, people can spawn there until it is destroyed. If people only spawned near that but out of sight it would be perfect.

This way you don't have Squad leaders hiding under beds to keep the spawn alive. Having a cool down too makes it important to protect and place strategically rather then having to recklessly run behind enemy lines repeatedly since the reward of having a spawn on an enemies rear outweighs the risk of losing one life.

Upvote 0
Don't think the whole "squad leader hiding" will be an issue given how much he looks like he has to do whilst playing.

Your right, but on larger maps a forward spawn will be really critical. I'd love to see dynamic play like that encouraged. If mobile radios were added as well, that would really change the SL's role from spotting to changing the entire flow of the battle.

Upvote 0
I really liked the idea of squads and spawning near your sl in BF2 and I also liked to see it implemented in HoS. I mean, its about time we move on from the now obsolete gameplay of Ost into more modern ideas. Just because CoD had a personal scanner for every player doesn't mean that it is a feature for kids, especially after reading all the clarifications by the devs those past days.

On that note, I would like to give the devs a huuuuge cookie for all the time they took answering our questions and concerns about what we saw in gamescon. I can sleep happy again after reading about the recon plane and how it works. Sure its still not realistic, but its a feature that I really like and would like to play with, having to hide when I spot a strange shadow on the map (at least I think it was its shadow on those wooden buildings in spartanovka) or using it in my advantage when being a commander/sl.

Upvote 0