• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Can we get rid of that UAV and radar?

Show ennemy? red markers?
Are you sure this is not dead teammate?
i'm start to be afraid...

There are both, dead teammate and spotted enemy tank / soldier.

2nuhf7l.jpg

Upvote 0
I also have to admit that the interface and part of the abilties reminded me a lot of BF2. Which is not necessarily bad! But in my opinion breaks a little bit with the core realism approach that RO and HOS and TWI are famous for.
It is still fine though since the abilties seem to be optional and therefore realism could be set to a desired level.
On the other hand if an extra option like a recon plane could deliver the opsinfos realistically i would not be oposed to them. Fieselers were widely used as short distance recon planes and would drop containers with written messages upon troops in order to get their info spread. If for example infos about enemy positions would come in delayed and the info had to be first be passed to the comander or picked up by him, i would say nothing against such a capability even on a realism server.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
(I posted this elsewhere too but figured it might be more suitable here)

Regarding the recon-plane feature:

I wonder if the recon-plane will also be able to spot snipers when they are somewhere in the open field (not covered by a building) ? I think it would not be that realistic and also could be some kind of spoiler for the gameplay, since snipers benefit from their camouflage. That is at least, as long as the sniper is not running around of course.

Maybe it could be programmed that a sniper does not get spotted by the recon-plane if he does not move (or fires) while the plane is flying over ?

Or maybe we could even extend this idea to all infantry and make them 'unspottable' as long as they don't fire their weapon and are keeping still while the plane is there. Of course, none of the soldiers would know if they are spotted or not, but at least they have to chose to keep quiet or proceed fighting as long as the plane is there. This could also trigger situations in which soldiers are forced to react (finding cover for example) and get spotted in the process. Soldiers could also chose to fire at the plane (to take it down) and get spotted or stay put and let the plane proceed, keeping themselves

Upvote 0
Snipers in RO (previously) don't wearing any special camo, just a regular uniform like everyone else. This is because they aren't "dedicated snipers" but snipers attached to a squad.

Fair enough yes, but then how about the general idea for ALL infantry of not getting spotted as long as you stay still and don't fire your weapon? I can imagine in a realistic situation, looking down from a recon-plane, the soldiers firing their weapons or running around would be very much visible compared to the ones moving not at all (even in an open field).

I think it would add to the tactical and immersive elements of the game. Knowing you probably won't get spotted when you stop moving/shooting could give players, depending on the situation and morale, either a feeling of being in an underdog position or being sneaky as a fox.

Upvote 0
Having crawled through many wheat fields in Red Orchestra, I highly doubt that a reconnaissance plane, possibly under fire, would be able to see the exact location of a man lying motionless there. So in agreement with Attilaken, I do hope that is possible to reduce the sensing abilities of the plane even further. This would force players to seek cover in areas where there may not be buildings.

Upvote 0
I think this method of incorporating uav/planes/see through walls etc, is to minimilize the effects of large numbers of lambert/chams hackers (this changes skin colors to bright colors and makes you visable through walls) that are omnipresent in almost every fps these days.

Its down right obvious that on almost every map you'll play you'll get at least one guy can see you (or sometimes shoot you) right through the wall your hiding behind, so why not make everybody gain a limited ability to do so if you cant stop/reduce this high volume of hackers?

I dont mean to state im for this, im actually against it, but this strikes me as an inability to deal with the other problem, and i hate the problem that the game currently has with these video card hacks. This radar thing looks to be a measure to minimize or at least hide this impotence from an ignorant populace. It just gives tripwire a huge amount of deniability as well for hacker problems. Think about it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
No, I don't think we ever said WHICH enemy show up :p

so, you're hinting that the only enemies that show up on the commanders map would be restricted to specific classes......mg, marksmen, commanders?

even if it's only a few classes that can be spotted, it's still infantry. like Lemon pointed out with his pictures in the main Gamescom thread, it's still unrealistic for a recon plane to be pinpointing infantry targets and communicate their exact locations to a commander on the ground. furthermore, if it's indeed true that the plane will only report specific classes, how realistic is that? you mean to tell me that the recon plane can pick out a concealed mg or sniper position, or spot the train conductors hat on a soldier to determine he's the commander? :confused:

edit: to repost what this feature would be realistic for

And even then, that technique would only work in open fields. No matter how you put it, planes spotting infantry for platoon leaders on the ground is unrealistic. Doesn't belong in RO imo.

Of course that doesn't mean that recon planes should be removed from the game altogether. This is how they could be implemented in a realistic and historically plausible way):

1. The plane can only spot tanks and other vehicles
  2. It flies a lot higher than it currently does (no one in his right mind would fly that low over enemy lines)
  3. It can only be called in once per round, and only on some maps that have vehicles
  4. You can't see it on the map, only by directly seeing the plane fly overhead
That would be quite realistic, even for full realism mode.

Last edited:
Upvote 0