• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

The first impressions thread

First, I have to say that generally I'm very excited and hyped by those vids. Lots of great stuff and I can't wait to play it. Second, those are my first impressions:

+ Graphics, especially light effects and shadows.
+ Amazing weapon handling! I love that you can set distance on scope and ironsights. Sniper scope misalignment effect is great too.
+ Ability to use ironsights on sniper rifle, only other game/mod that had it is legendary "Infiltration", correct me if I'm wrong.
+ Intuitive, easy to use and very functional cover system (plus amazing blind fire).
+ Maps seams to be big, well designed and providing lots of routes to objectives
+ Lots of small touches here and there, like diferent running animations for germans and russians.
+ Death animations blending into ragdoll, it need to be tweaked a bit but generally it looks great already.
+ New command options looks great, I just hope it will be a bit more realistic and ballanced, but you've already said that recon plane wount show up that fast in final version.
+ You have kept realistic gore efects form RO1. I love that dismemberment is still in the game.
+ Slow death feature, bleeding out and bandaging.
+ The spirit of RO1 is still there.

- The hud seams to be a bit to extensive.
- When You use ironsigts on pistol it looks unnatural, like you were holding the gun just in front of your face. It's to big. You should be seeing part of aiming arm/arms and pistol should be in distance like on this screen http://i.imagehost.org/0421/xrengine_2009-10-28_09-08-14-54.jpghttp://i.imagehost.org/0421/xrengine_2009-10-28_09-08-14-54.jpg
- The minimap? I don't know if it should be ingame first place, if so, it shouldn't provide that much info.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
+ I really enjoyed the graphics and the gameplay
+ Obviously there is some tweaking still needed with the death animations and the slow death
+ I think the range adjustments and the FOV zoom will greatly affect the effective fighting range of a soldier and will make long range battles more challenging but also more fun. I didn't even notice the zooming in the first time I watched the vid, I think there won't be many problems with it.
+ The 2 sights for the sniper are amazing, and they make me want to play right now
+The destruction of buildings is good and the arty explosions look nice
+ The kar98 looks different and I'm still waiting on trying it out before I judge it, it looks way better then it did though.
- The hud on demand system should feature everything on the HUD, it seems like too many things are left on the hud without the hud on demand feature activated
- Intro screens for team selection were very colorful and kind of shocking at first, maybe a darker more olive tone of green for the germans and a less bright red for the soviets if the colors are really a must...
- I'm not sure about this, but on the start of every map there is a slight delay to the textures loading properly is this like this in every game??
- Recon plane is kind of.... wierd for lack of better explanation. The red dots thing doesn't seem proper, I think the info relayed should be much less accurate due to the fact that this info would be communicated over radio I think that the map should glow slightly red in a "Hot" area where there is large enemy volume outside of buildings. If not, possibly a radio communication from the plane describing in words to the commander where the enemies are?(if possible) example: There are enemies in the open near the village, near the lare red building exc.. Perhaps my suggestions could only be for a realistic mode and the dots can be kept for relaxed realism.
- Wierd tree sway
+ Overall very surprised by how much progress the game has made and by how great it looks!! I already can't wait to start organizing tactical realism scrims in this game! I think the combat of this game will be unmatched. I hope my negative points aren't taken as offensive I am merely trying to suggest possible improvements from my point of view for the tripwire team to ponder. All we need now are tanks and I'm ready to play. The alpha looks better then some games on the market!!!

Upvote 0
Might as well add my two cents:

+ The graphics look good, not over-bloomed nor overly gritty.
+ The cover system is looking great, no other comment is needed.
+ The sniper's ability to use both the scope and iron sights is a suggestion (not mine) that I've liked since it was proposed.
+ The squad spawning system that doesn't allow spawning in an objective ala Bad Company 2 is a good idea.
+ Multiple types of artillery support should make artillery more useful.
+ Bullet penetration is looking good; I'd like to know how much the system takes into account (caliber, speed of bullet, angle of impact, material it is hitting, etc.).
+ The animations look to be coming along nicely; I like the death animations.
+ Destructible structures are looking good, but I'd like to know if you can punch holes in buildings like in Bad Company 2, or if it is an all-or-nothing sort of thing.
+ The German vs Russian style of sprinting is a great example of the attention to detail TWI pays to its games.

~ The minimap; I'm a bit leery of it. That being said since I don't know exactly how it works so I'll wait and see.
~ I am not completely sure what I think about the scout plane system. I understand the plane came in quickly for demo purposes, and I like that the system requires the officer to be by the radio to have the information on his map, but having individual soldiers showing up seems a little bit much.
~ The bandaging seems a bit fast and I'd like an animation for it, but I think I'd need to learn more before making a real judgement.

- The "teleport" the player experiences when an objective is captured in Countdown seems a bit weird. I understand the need to move the player to the next objective, but it looks like it would break immersion a lot to just respawn like that when you're still alive.
- I'd like an animation to go along with the player adjusting his weapon's sights. Something as simple as having him reach up and fiddle with his scope or ramp sights would do. Of course, this might already be in the works.
- I don't care for some of the HUD elements, and they seem to be a bit cluttered. The stamina meter seems to me like it belongs in UT3 or Gears of War.
- The loadout menu look a bit too colorful. I think I understand the feeling it is going for, but the colors are just weird.
- Grain elevator is overcast now? You said it was sunny that day, Wilsonam! I want sunshine and butterflies for my grain elevator battle!

Btw, Mr. Moe, all the sound in the video is placeholder sound from Ostfront.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
+ Good graphics
+ Improved animations; still needs refining
+ Loving the ability to dial in sights and optics
+ AI is definitely looking better. Still has a long way to go, but it's an improvement.
+ This game has the best cover system I've ever seen. Good job.
+ Bullet penetration: good!
+ I like the partial destruction system. IMO it would be better to have chunks of houses blown off, rather than just have them be reduced to magically still-standing charred twigs.
+ Death animations/rag doll thing: it's a bit clunky now, but I see some promise.
+ Tanks! Urrah! Urrah!

+/-: No suppression. In one way, this is a good thing. Darkest Hour's suppression is ****. However, something like Resistance and Liberation's is not. You can still return accurate fire, but your gun starts to shake a little bit and your vision gets a bit black. However, if someone rounds the corner and sprays half a magazine of a Thompson at you, you can still very easily return fire. None of this "BAM you're guns pointed at the sky" ****. So, this could go either way depending on how the devs decide to implement it, if they implement it.

- Everything about the font. Just... ugh.
- Everything about the map. Why are the commander icons like that? This isn't a game set in the future. Make the icons little pieces of paper tacked on to the side of map set on a slightly-yellowed, slightly stained piece of paper. There shouldn't be any blinking dots, there should be small drawn circles or squares to represent what has been spotted.
- The HUD: It's...eh? I really don't like it. A very plain, white-colored representation of your equipment would be better.
- Inventory. In my opinion this would be better represented by an ArmA 2-esque "Gear" screen.
- The scout plane. I know that it will usually take 2-3 minutes to come in, and will only be available once or twice, and even then only for a few minutes before it flies off, but still. Marking stuff on the map? Huh? There's no way in hell that some Lieutenant in command of a platoon has radio contact with that plane. It could work if the plane (NOTE: This is someone else's idea. Sorry guy, I can't remember your name.) fired off colored flares to indicate what type of enemy he spotted and how many, but I really dislike the system as is.
- Oh, also, the fire-direction indicator. I don't like it the way it is. Something much more subtle, like a slight distortion of the air in the general direction (North-West-East-South) of the firer would be much better.

agreed with all the above

Reactions: NoxNoctum
Upvote 0
This is a good one coming from you LemoN.
Finally some positive points ;)

+ The graphics are, if not ground breaking, very good
+ Most animations are looking very good already, some might get tweaked as HoS still is an alpha.
+ The countdown game mode looks interesting.
+ The cover system seems very easy to use and offers a whole new level of game-play.
+ Destruction! (even if limited)
+ Dialling in of range
+ Alternate iron sights for scoped rifles!!!
+ Improved MG system
+ Penetration!
+ Squad system
+ Greatly improved AI
+ Multiplayer "campaign" of successive maps
+ Reconnaissance aircraft

-
No noticeable suppression system
- Sights stay perfectly aligned at all times
- Dialling in of range is too fast (May change if animations are included)
- Bandaging
- Too much information on the map (enemy contacts)
- The menu artwork is to present, should make something more discreet

Major -
Didin't see the Katiushas bombing effect during the video :( :D

Upvote 0
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
+ --> like
- --> dislike
! --> concerns
+- --> things with good and bad sides
? --> "time will tell" things; work in progress
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

+ Maps: so far they all look sweet (danzig "remake" for example)
+ Gametypes:FF/CD/T/C all off them :)
+ Coversystem improvements: blindfire (indicator anim. for blindfire), peeking, no aiming into objects>
+ MG improvements: bipod pivot, easier deploying, no aiming into objects.
+ Sniper improvements: scope"shadow", range-dial, sights/scope switching
+ Commander enhancements: command system, arty-style
+ Penetration
+ Vaulting/Climbing: OHH GOOD LORD FINALLY .. single blocking brick go to hell :D ... and i have seen there is a climbing anim for the mp40 be now :)
+ Interruptible Reload
+ Breathing/Sway/Recoil Model: like it. insane ppsh recoil gone, cool cool.
+ Improved AI (when its finished :p)
+ HUD/GUI style: sure colors look bit to saturated but the overall style is nice , imo.
+ NO DH styled suppression so far :)

+ many other things too many to list them all

- Release: I WANT IT NAOW :D
- Zoom/FOV changes while sprinting: basically i am still not a fan off this whole zoom stuff but i guess it'll grow on me... but fov change while sprinting, common!?!
- bullet whiz/hit indicators: had no problem to tell where iam being shoot from in RO:OST by sound and experience.
- Countdown Respawn: respawning even though you were alive

! 1st/3rd Person synchronization:all the cover system animations (peeking, blindfire, peek-aim-fire) make me fear possible offsync stuff (RO:OST prone-to-stand, anyone? :eek:)
! Tutorials/TrainingMissions: With all the neat new features Com/SL becomes a very important key class. so i hope t see reach level x to be able to select Com/SL or a AA styled Tutorial/TrainingMission to be able to play as commander online. but i guess this will be part off the Persistent Stats Tracking and Player Progression/Offline Challenges described here
! HUD fontsize and fontposition(tacticlaview/hud on demand): bit to big, hope there will be a fontsize setting like in RO:OST. positions could need some tweaking, too the freather away from center the better.
! weapon selection screen color: might be the weak video Quality but the color look bit too saturated.

+- recon plane: don't know about that one. gamey, sure. realistic ,not really but many other things aren't either. as long as its limit is very low (1-2/per map) and the cooldown is long(3~5min), i will give it a chance.
+- minimap: as long as the minimap stays relaxed realism i dont care.. would play the hardcore mode anyway.
+- Bandaging(minor wounds): should take at least 3~6sec and be limited to ~2 uses per life. tweaking this will probably be a task for beta.

? Force Respawn: if i got it right you'll, as commander, get a extra spawnwave after you capture let's say cap 3of5 and you can trigger it at the radio, anytime. if so that opens some nice tactial decision for the com. will be interesting to see how this plays out in clanwars. (Force Respawn + Squadspawn system = huge tactical possibilities) :cool:
? Russian Sprint Animation: as someone said it sometimes looks Slo-Mo'ish. and man the rifleman swings his rifle pretty hard nearby running people would get stabbed to death :eek:
? German 1st/3rd Person Sprint: the German 1st person sprint looks like the Russian one (both hands on the gun). but i guess there will be a real "holding the weapon in one hand" first person animation, right ?
? Arty dust color: some sandy/buff color tone mix into the dust kicked up by arty.

thats all i can think off for now

Last edited:
Upvote 0
+Most of what I saw looks very impressive

+Especially like the look of Countdown.

+I have to think about the negatives..nothing stands out as game breakers to me from what i've seen. Playing it may be very different tho

-Squad leader menu might be better with "in character" choices, like sentences he can say into the radio in his native tongue with translations next to them. So rather than "Force Respawn" it says "I need reinforcements now!". This forced respawn feature should be tactical rather than just spammed as soon as it becomes available. Best way to do that is limiting them to a very small amount

-I would prefer the devs stance was "What can we do to improve gameplay and replayabillity while remaining somewhat realistic" rather than "What can we do to make the game easier in ways we consider realistic" as they seem to be saying now. I want masses of players in Heroes, but I don't want the long term appeal nerfed or for there to be too many cheap kills. Making the game easier will only make dedicated players bored faster, however it might help with initial sales. Just don't make the game too easy but make sure the player always has a way out of his situation or a way he could have avoided dying by playing differently. I hope random deaths are minimised (fewer nades, mortar etc) and the guns aren't too easy to control even when rested, in a good position or holding your breath etc. Also hope it takes some time to switch weapons and riflemen don't run around with pistols. Snipers were always very powerful. I hope they're still very limited and the new tweaks don't make them too easy to play. 1 Sniper per team is plenty

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Ok guys, I'd like to open this thread so we can all post our first impressions of the newly released HoS material.

No discussions of any sort will take place here.

+ The graphics are, if not ground breaking, very good.
+ Most animations are looking very good already, some might get tweaked as HoS still is an alpha.
+ The countdown game mode looks interesting.
+ Death message delay.
+ The cover system seems very easy to use and offers a whole new level of game-play.
+ Destruction! (even if limited).
+ Dialling in of range.
+ Alternate iron sights for scoped rifles!!!
+ Improved MG system.
+ Penetration!
+ Squad system.
+ Greatly improved AI.
+ Multiplayer "campaign" of successive maps.

- Reconnaissance aircraft
- No noticeable suppression system
- Sights come up too fast and stay perfectly aligned at all times
- Dialling in of range is too fast (May change if animations are included)
- Bandaging
- Too much information on the map (enemy contacts)
- The menu artwork and the HUD remind me of DoD
- Complete respawn of all people in countdown mode

What I'd like everyone to do here is make a similar list to mine.
This would give both TWI and people who get offended by criticism a chance to see what people liked and dislike.

Else it will just result in a discussion which will lead nowhere as this all comes down to preference of features. Flaming someone for not liking something is just as ridiculous as flaming someone for wanting grenade indicators and health regen.

IF YOU WANT TO DISCUSS SOMETHING OR REPLY TO A POST, PLEASE DO IT IN A DIFERENT THREAD OR PER PM!

PS. If you like this thread, please give me a nice rating :p

In order to keep this thread clean, please ONLY post your + and - list here. If you want to discuss an individual feature, please use any of the other threads or create your own. I'll delete everything else. - Bobdog

change all those - to + and thats my opinion, for your preferences I see that what you want is another frustrating ArmA, but in WW2

the only - for me so far is that the AI is not yet good enough to make a believable enemy

Upvote 0
I agree with a lot of what people are saying, and without posting a detailed list, my general thoughts are these:

+ Overall, it looks good. It's about what we expect it to be, both in look and features, which is nice, and I'm happy to see it's farther along than I thought.
+/- If the arty kicks up a hazy cloud that lingers, it'll be both cooler and hide the changes in destruction models, so I hope that gets in there. Will the impacts explosions flash? That would be cool, especially for night maps.
- The HUD and map have never been a strong point of RO, and that hasn't changed. I agree that they are harder to understand than they could be, and are jarringly anachronistic. A lot of the immersiveness comes from these little touches, so making them like materials available in 1942 would help tremendously.
- I think the weapons sway, positioning, and map design are based in a Doom/Quake/Counterstrike mentality, which leads to maps where my beloved ironsight rifles are less useful and the pistols are in the center of the screen like a BFG 9000. I know that this is consistent with Tripwire's previous efforts, and therefore I'm not at all surprised, it's just that I'm just a little sad that I'll have to wait for modders to create more open environments where a rifle can dominate in the open to the degree an smg can dominate in a hallway.

I know TWI is sticking to their plan, so I hope it all turns out well.

Reactions: Fedorov and LemoN
Upvote 0
+ Graphics, light effects, the artillery barrage looks massive
+ New gametypes
+ As a SL having a BF2-kind-of command tree
+ Bullet penetration
+ Destructible environment (as Amerikaner mentioned, its no BC2. Still, I'm very excited about this addition)
+ Cover system (peeking, blind firing)
+ Peeking around corners
+ Slow death
+ Revamped MG system
+ Very psyched about the different kinds of artillery
+ Force respawn
+ Love the look of the new (and reimagined) maps
+ Of course the new and revived weapons
+ Enhanced 3D Scope-system, dialing range and the ability to use the ironsight of the sniper rifle
+ Animations
+ Dynamic Music
+ Mantling
+/- Recon plane
+/- Bandaging
-No suppression system

Upvote 0
+Looks good
+All the real improvements

-"Casual friendly" as in dumbed down
-Smaller maps were mentioned(Consoles haven't got enough memory to run the bigger ones? :E)
-Recon plane
-Recon plane
-Recon plane
-Minimap
-Red dots on minimap

I hope a lot of features can be disabled or modded away. Otherwise, looking good on some parts and worrying on others.

What exactly has been dumbed down from OST? Also, Ramm mentioned in an interview that HoS will be first and foremost a PC game, if not PC exclusively. Also, where were smaller maps mentioned?

-HUD is ugly. OST's simple, monochromatic HUD is better.
-Horrible looking radial menu for commands
-Sprinting animations look exaggerated and cartoony.
-Bandaging is too fast.
-Rankings conferring gameplay advantages, even if minimal
-Respawning when still alive in Countdown. Eliminates the point of feeling like your in one big battle instead of many small ones if you just teleport to a new area with each objective.
+Everything else

Last edited:
Upvote 0
+ = things i like
+/- = things that could be nice but depend on implementation
- = things i dislike
? = fears that i have.

+ The reason I love RO in the first place, you can learn to control everything if you practise no random chances like a cone of fire, hitting things just gets harder and requires practise to overcome.
+ it seems that special heroes do not unlock weapons for their class like rifleman suddenly getting a semi, but basically unlock the ability to use the elite rifleman class. So we definitely won't see a server full of MKB42's once everybody has played 1000 hours.
+ Graphics look a lot better than the previous games
+ Animations, some animations seem to be still missing and things aren't perfect yet but everything looks a lot more natural already than roost.
+ Multiple game modes even though I love territory and will continue to do so, I always felt that a lot of S&D players would love RO and that is what countdown will bring.
+ Ability to select spawn, will make replay and surprise effects of the maps more variable.
+ Hiding away hud elements and features when you do not need them.
+ Seeing locations in the game world like where to go or where someone pointed, without being forced to see it all the time.
+ Ability to change range of scopes!, although an animation would be nice.
+ Delayed death messages
+ Stopping power for weaponry so a pistol that probably won't stop someone directly from fighting can be as lethal as it should be through slow death.
+ Destruction & Penetration, opening up new pathways in buildings allows for some varied game play.
+ That TWI said they will be adding a more extensive suppression system than in ROOST

+/- Bandaging, I'm not a big fun of bandaging. But due to the ability to fix yourself a more permanent handicap can be given to the player till he bandages himself and I'm definitely for that. I too think that the speed is a bit too fast.
+/- Time limit on a per cap basis. Its not nice to get locked in spawn for an entire map so its nice you can loose earlier. But it could easily be that for one cap you would take double the regular time while for the other you do it twice as fast as normal.
+/- Respawning when alive at countdown, it stops people from camping the enemies spawns etc. But still it feels kind of sudden and abrupt, there must be a smoother way to make sure players all start at the needed locations.

- The exact same capturing system as in Ostfront. I love that you can fight for big areas like entire buildings, but quantity of players based cap systems gives some issues like encouraging hide and seek. An area/territory based cap system would be a lot nicer where people will try to hold the biggest ground instead.
- The friendly player names above their heads are too present for my taste and take away from my immersion, I would prefer if I could optionally only see friendly player names when pressing the tactical view/hud on demand button.
- Too many indicators and bells and whistles for my taste that tell you what is happening around you. I know that rather than staying on edge for possible enemies, I will create a dependence on said systems.
- Information is often shared too early, like getting information that an enemy is in a capzone without anyone knowing it yet. Or knowing that the enemy is attacking capzone X while nobody of your own team is there to see that happening.
- Only one objective a time in countdown, even CS often has multiple places where to plant the bomb. And I fear that by only having one objective a time that some tactical freedom is lost.

? Spawning near a squadleader, i'm afraid that the time to get back to where you were shot might be a little bit too short and I'm afraid that squad leaders are somewhat forced to hide somewhere to ensure close spawning.
? Overfocussed gameplay, I fear that at times the focus of keeping people in the action is a little too great. The more focussed the action the less of a chance you can do things under the enemy radar.
? Fear for more lineair maps. I fear that there will more maps where you can only cap 1 cap zone at a time rather than having 2 or 3 open at the same moment.

I'll try to finish this list later :p

Last edited:
Upvote 0
-1a Alot of HUD
-1b That radar minimap
-2 Bandagıng, no one in the community during ROmod and Ostront liked that idea.

-/+1 Recon plane comming instantly and putting red dots on your map, although sınce you have to stay at the radio to recıeve the ınfo ıts not that bad, maybe ıf the recon plane took a mınute to come and you had to stay alıve ın that mınute ıt would be allrıght.
-/+2 Anımatıons but I guess TWI wıll work on ıt

+ Everythıng else

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I will make my comment short....

+ Overall, i like it...a lot.

HOWEVER, some negative points:

- It will be better if TW put some more smoke in those artillery (and possibly, airstrikes) to hide the way buildings are destroyed...

- how about maybe more bush destruction in those strikes ?

- too fast and w/o anim scope adjustments.

- it could be better to improve the sprinting anims

I can't wait for some more videos where finally we see the tanks...
I also would love to see what happens with shooting a Panzerfaust and hitting a door, wall, fence, etc.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I updated my list with new stuff marked by the "***"

+ Very Good Graphics
+ Improved Animations
+ The Cover System
+ Blind Firing
+ Firing/Peeking Around Corners
+ Range Setting on Weapons
+ Improved MG System and Setup
+ Penetration
+ Countdown Mode (in general)
+ Alternate Site Modes for Sniper Rifles
+ Improved AI
+ Partial Building Destruction To Skeletons
+ Command Options for Squad Leaders
+ Single Player: Take Over Other Avatar Upon Death
+ Bleeding Out
+ Death Animations
+ How AI Takes Cover, Looks, and Goes To Cover Again
+ Scopes: Shadow Effect With Fast Movement
+ All Out Running at Video End Seemed Real
+ Dynamic Music System With Morale
+ Nice Looking Maps
+ Weapon Holding Difference Between Germans and Russians While Running
+ Lighting and Shadows Are Awesome, Especially The Shadows
+ Weapon Contact With Objects, Collision
+ Grenade Priming Animation
+ Slightly Reduced SMG Recoil From ROOST
***+ Tanks and Vehicles Will Be In Game
***+ Full Interior View in Tanks
***+ Nice Animations and Feel of Being in Tank
***+ Improved Damage Model and Details
***+ The Addition of Light Anti-Tank Weapons
***+ Character Facial Expressions

? Countdown Mode Respawn (how its done with live/dead players)
? Squad System (not clear on this)
? Reconnaissance Aircraft (too much too often?)
? Bandaging (how fast?)
? Sound Quality (can't tell in videos of gameplay)
? In Some Scenes Running or Jogging Appeared Slo-Mo'ish (work in progress most likely)
? Ragdoll Effects (couldn't tell how they compare to RO)
? 3D Voices And Voice/Command Range (unknown if it will be based on range)
? Some Weird Gliding Movement For Some Of The AI Soldiers (incomplete animations?)
? Suppression System mentioned to be in the works
***? Players Stay in Tanks Till Death
***? Players Spawn in Tank (what about when different tank types become available?)
***? AI Crew (can they be effectively commanded or will they act wildly on their own?)
***? Locking Tank (players can be locked out of a 'prefered' tank when more than one available by a greedy player, but otherwise good for those who wish to solo when enough tanks available)
***? The Large Amount of Additional Work That Will Be Needed to Bring in Additional Vehicles, Stock or Custom

- Way Too Much Intelligence Info Even for Relaxed Realism UNLESS in Single Player Only
- Too Much HUD (not related to intelligence info above) and Large Size of Icons and Font: Intrusive

---------------

To be continually edited I am sure as more info is made available

Last edited:
Upvote 0