• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Do you want ROHOS to have DH's suppression system?

Do you want ROHOS to have DH's suppression system?

• Yes, I want ROHOS to have the exact, or very similar system to DH's

Votes: 27 22.9%
  • Yes I want a system similar to DH's but toned down (less blurriness, less involuntary gun movement)

Votes: 44 37.3%
  • I want ROHOS to have the same suppression system as RO's (very mild blurriness)

Votes: 31 26.3%
  • I don't want any kind of suppression effects.

Votes: 16 13.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

NoxNoctum

Grizzled Veteran
Jun 15, 2007
Submit your votes gents. Maybe we can get TWI to put it in before it's too late! This was my only major disappointment with the gamescon vids and I know others feel the same way.

EDIT: Just to throw in my 2 cents, in case it wasn't obvious from the sentences above :p.I think ROHOS absolutely needs DH's suppression system because it's the ONLY game, along with Project Reality, where I've seen players play like they are actually afraid of death. This means it's more realistic. In RO, if I see an MG firing at the building I'm in, or even the window I'm shooting out of, I just crouch, wait a second, move over a couple feet, pop up and shoot him (assuming I have a bolt, which I always take). That's just flat out retarded. We're talking about a MACHINE GUN spewing hundreds (or thousands?) of bullets per second at you. In DH, if a MG is firing at the window I'm shooting out of I HAVE to get down. I can still TRY to shoot, but it won't be accurate and I can't see ****. What does this simulate? Well, if I crouch down, it simulates fear that most would feel. If I stay standing up, it simulates "bravery"/fanaticisim. And if I crouch down... guess what... I'm suppressed, just like how it would be have been done in WW2.

Not to mention the fact that AFAIK only MGs cause the very very mild blurriness in RO. (it's hardly blurry enough to stop me from picking them off even when they're shooting directly at me). In DH if you've got a couple dudes with garands shooting at a window the dude will be effectively suppressed.

It is IMPOSSIBLE to put true fear of death into a video game, even 3 hour long no respawn ARMA2 coop sessions.

Last edited:
[url]http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showthread.php?p=611136#post611136[/URL]

no need for a poll, especially one that's designed as poorly as this one.

Hey great constructive criticism there :rolleyes:!

I know it's been discussed at length, but I saw NO signs of any kind of suppression at all in the gamescon vids. Sure, they're only in alpha, but it still worries me because I think whether it's in or not will make a pretty damn big difference in how good the gameplay is.

Reactions: worluk
Upvote 0
I've never been able to quite decide how I feel about suppression systems - I've always tried to put Ramm's original "mantra" into it.

"If it's easy to do in real life, it should be easy to do in the game"

It's very easy to stick your head up in front of a MG and shoot at it. It's very stupid, and you will most probably get killed - but it's easy to do.

So I don't really want to see a suppression system, certainly nothing that's as aggressive as DH's. But how do you stop making MG positions so vulnerable to a bog-standard rifleman? Well again, in reality - if someone's a good marksman, if the MG isn't well placed and is distracted/firing at a different location then it's very easy for him to get killed.

So it's actually the ineffective nature of the MG's that's the problem.
And as someones mentioned above - now that there will be a penetration system - that will hopefully not be the case.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
A lot of this discussion seems to be due to no visible suppression in the latest vids.

There are 3 possible reasons for not seeing any suppression effects.

1) There will be no suppression in the game (doubtful, as OST has the flinching)
2) It's planned, but hasn't been implemented yet in this Alpha
3) It's in, but not active in Rookie / Casual mode

I could tell you which one it is, but then I'd have to kill you...and I'd have to know in the first place.

Edit: I just remembered something. Years ago, I suggested or supported a suggestion for different classes of soldiers - green and vet. This could be similar to the elite version of the classes we see in the role selection. Perhaps the elite soldiers, are suppose to be more experienced, and (if there is any suppression effects) less affected by suppression, while the standard soldier might flinch more.

Another thing to add, with the limited Iron Sight Free-aim, pop-up riflemen taking out MGs will be far less of a problem. Even with that and penetration, I still don't think video game bullets can truly suppress to the same extent that a real deadly round would - so I wouldn't be surprised (or displeased) with some form of suppression effects. Only way to get real life level suppression is if the player (not avatar) could die. And I don't want that level of realism.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I don't want DH's suppression system as it is too overdone in my opinion - IRL you don't flinch so much as in DH when a bullet snaps over your head and I find the forced movement of the gun quite irritatating to say the least. Also one should expect that after a while people would become accostumed to the snapping of super sonic bullets over your head instead of constantly being affected in such a powerful way. It is very annoying to be killed by someone because you can't see while at the same time you can't aim in the direction of that enemy as it is constantly moved about due to the overdone suppression effects.

Upvote 0
Actually, I'm missing a poll option: I didn't have a chance to play the game, so I do not specualte over certain features.
Seriously - the game is still in alpha or beta phase. The video is probalby in no way comparable to the final product. And due to the fact that no one here had a chance to play, we do not know how new features like bullet penetration influence the players.
ATM, there is just no point in discussing any changes. Atleast from my point of view.

Upvote 0