• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Gamescon 2010 HEROES videos

Lemon said:
That second vid looks really interesting and there are a lot of nice features. My only concern here is that some of the features look to "easy" or "automatic", like the dialling of the scope and that weapons go in and out of ironsights extremely fast, with perfectly aligned ironsights nearly all the time.

You ever adjust the sights on a Mosin or a Mauser? It's -real- quick. And it's also -real- quick to set the BDC on the PU scopes.

Reactions: Extension7
Upvote 0
I don't know why you all are freaking out at the recon plane so much. It's not going to appear instantly in the map, and (unlike CoD) it only detects units outside. I say this is way better than any other recon plane implemented in a game. PLUS, I bet all the commander abilities can be toggled via server admin???

Two quick questions about it though:

1: Is it going to be visible/heard?
2:Is there going to be a way to counter/destroy it?

Another thing, how big is the rocket strike radius going to be? It has to be bigger than the artillery, and I hope the ground burns after the barrage ;)

Upvote 0
You ever adjust the sights on a Mosin or a Mauser? It's -real- quick. And it's also -real- quick to set the BDC on the PU scopes.

It definitely is not as quick as in game. Please make a video of you adjusting your scope to 1000 meters and firing off an aimed shot in one second.

Please don't get me wrong, I do like a lot of features, like the long awaited dialling in of range. But this doesn't mean that I like the way it is implemented.

PS: Yes I have.

Last edited:
Reactions: Extension7
Upvote 0
Two quick questions about it though:

1: Is it going to be visible/heard?
2:Is there going to be a way to counter/destroy it?

Another thing, how big is the rocket strike radius going to be? It has to be bigger than the artillery, and I hope the ground burns after the barrage ;)
It was said in a preview + hinted several times by TWI that you'll be able to shoot it down.

Upvote 0
I don't know why you all are freaking out at the recon plane so much. It's not going to appear instantly in the map, and (unlike CoD) it only detects units outside. I say this is way better than any other recon plane implemented in a game. PLUS, I bet all the commander abilities can be toggled via server admin???

Even though it's more realistic than CoD, and limited to a few uses a round, and has some delay time, it's still pretty gamey. It's not terribly gamey, as displayed in the demo, but still seems out of place.

Suggestion: Instead of a "real time update" as the plane flies over, the SL would get a "report" after a slight delay that would reveal the positions on his map. Still not perfect.

Speculation: Something tells me that this "recon plane" is actually some kind of a test run that they're using to implement close-air support. ;)

Upvote 0
Found a video on youtube not sure if it has been posted yet. Shows some k98 and c96 action. It also demonstrates sniper rifles. And very clearly shows mg's mounted on tripods.

video
The second video is up and running again, so you can see it in full. Unless the one you just posted is from a different demo?

Upvote 0
Many of you are blowing this recon plane deal out of proportion... Take a second and think about it. Assuming it's going to be in-game and only the commander takes part of the information in real time, what is the huge deal? He is stationary at a radio, and the best he can do with the information is relay it to a squad leader or type it out in team-chat. Looking at it this way makes me, for one, question its overall usefulness in the typical fast pace of a RO game.

And then you all come here and want the information to be delayed this and that time. If a feature is being put in, it shouldn't be clunky to the point it's considered worthless.

Upvote 0
I have to say, I didn't find the aimzoom to really be annoying like I thought it would. In fact, I watched the videos several times before I even thought about it. Did anyone else mention that yet?

If I was to complain about anything at this point, it would be the fact there is too much information presented on the screen, even for what probably is relaxed realism. But that is just me. I imagine it will be much less on the realistic setting.

Most everything else... looks really good so far.

Upvote 0
It definitely is not as quick as in game. Please make a video of you adjusting your scope to 1000 meters and firing off an aimed shot in one second.

Please don't get me wrong, I do like a lot of features, like the long awaited dialling in of range. But this doesn't mean that I like the way it is implemented.

PS: Yes I have.

I'll see if I can find an excuse to purchase a video camera sometime soon. And see if I can get to a range sometime soon.

I've never shot at anything a klick away before. Also, remember, there's virtually no way you're going to be able to see a man-size target at that range through a 3.5x PU scope. Just because the BDC is calibrated out to 1200 doesn't mean you can see what's going on real clearly out to that range.

But, for speed, you really can't beat the PU. You really don't have to move your head much at all, just a quick flick, mostly with the eyes, and you can see the knob for the bullet drop compensator. If you're resting the gun on a bench, or a rail or a pickup truck hood, something like that, you don't even have to come off target to do it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
It's not a sniper simulator, they gave us something we've wanted for years and you guys are flipping out because it's "too fast".

Would you rather be forced to mess with the dials, sight everything in, take more test shots, then kill your target?

Better aim low because by the time you finish he'll be stabbing you in the chest.

Upvote 0
Many of you are blowing this recon plane deal out of proportion...

I'm not too concerned about balance, my concern is with how this fits into a realistic WWII shooter in the first place. I think earlier in this thread it was likened to the UAV from Modern Warfare. There's no way that a recon plane flying over Stalingrad would be able to present such accurate information so quickly to the commander.

Upvote 0
I love everything I see, even considering that much of it is incomplete and totally WIP!

One BIG question I have: Why does the screenshot on the first and second vids on this thread (in the OP) show the STG44? Obviously this gun shouldn't exist in a game existing in Stalingrad ... WTF?

It's the MkB42. A few were used in Stalingrad. It's basically a prototype of the STG-44/MP-43.

Upvote 0