• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Gamescon 2010 HEROES videos

For demonstration purposes the plane comes in quickly.

Sweet. You guys rock and think of everything. :IS2::IS2::IS2: for you all.

As for "- HUD/UI too colorful, cartoony, and gamey looking." I would have to agree based off of what we saw, but the HUD/UI is probably going to be different for normal realism mode at least. I showed the video to my brother, however (who enjoys the game from time to time) and one of his first reactions were that the UI looked really futuristic, with matrix-esque neon green everywhere.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I'm in sheer awe from what I got to see there. Absolutely amazing stuff. The only issues I personally had was the pace of things being done, first person animations (I'm sure it's placeholder as it is alpha, but it's weird seeing germans run with a gun in one hand, but then he carries it like a russian in first person), and some of the slow dying animations (lots of upright people getting a bit woozy and then falling over rather than having to take a knee or something). Other than those minor criticisms, I'm eagerly awaiting this game.

Upvote 0
Yeah it's nice to have more weapons.. but why include it?
Doesn't make much sense from a historical point of view or from a balance point of view.

I know I'm going to love that weapon anyway. :D
Since when are wars balanced? :p

But in the demo, he said they were used in Stalingrad. SO IT MUST BE TRUE. :IS2:

Reactions: FlyXwire
Upvote 0
For demonstration purposes the plane comes in quickly.

Thanks for the reply. Good to know that it likely won't be like that in the final product.

I am sure the game will be fine tuned more.

NOW you're getting the general idea...

A lot of thought put into this game, that is for sure. :D

I will say this to. The screen shots look like crap compared to the videos. :D

Really, when the game is in motion, it looks great. The lighting, as well as the flying papers ect. in the maps look very well done. The grain elevator looks amazing to. Really looking forward to playing in that.

Yeah it's nice to have more weapons.. but why include it?
Doesn't make much sense from a historical point of view or from a balance point of view.

I know I'm going to love that weapon anyway. :D

Possibly. But then again, it is great to have an assault rifle in the game.

Probably my main cover now is that the gun doesn't seem to cover enough of your screen. But then again, it is hard to tell since the camera is recording a TV/monitor, so the perspective might be off.

As for the UI, I agree, it does look a bit odd. But I think it would not take much effort to modify it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
i've not been one to speculate/worry about HoS until it's released - it will arrive when it's ready - i'l buy it, play it and trust i'll like it.

So I wouldn't have been bothered had these vids not appeared but since i've now watched them and we're commenting ....

I really like the look of the cover system - fortunately it doesn't take you to a PvP game-breaking 3rd person like vegas did, (would never have expected that tbh) but i'm glad it's been introduced in 1st person.
The incorporation of realistic looking blind fire is a good thing imo. Any encouragement of the use of cover, and caution when advancing, is good.

Reminds me of a enviromentally contextual version of Ravenshield's fluid movement, judging by the clip in one vid where the character peers out through a doorway and scans the yard outside from within, and then withdraws smoothly to cover.
I would like to see how that movement looks from a 3rd person perspective- if the animations are finished.

Also the extra features of the scope and alternate use of ironsights is a nice touch, but i don;t see snipers being particularly disadvantaged, phaps the extra features might mean the opposite. I would like to see some sort of soft focus effect for the area seen outside the scope.

The 1 hand vs 2 handed weapon carrying to help distinguish freind or foe seems a decent idea.
Helping new players avoid the frustration of causing or suffering TKs with a natural visual clue shows a general mindset of about aiding players without compromising reality to a great extent.
Well, it's certainly better than red sickles or black crosses sitting floating over heads anyway.

Upvote 0
Looks like a big improvement over the last footage. It's shaping up nicely and looking far more complete than I expected. Also it's very encouraging to see that the devs implemented features the fans have been asking for over the last few years (slow deaths and a solution to valuing your ingame life are two examples) Here are my pros and cons (much more pros):

+ slow death feature - makes dying more interesting
+ one life per stage - a nice compromise between unlimited and single life (as others have said I wish the still living players wouldn't be forced to respawn as well however)
+ cover system/blind fire - looks very smooth and useful
+ animated ragdoll deaths - though kind of a choppy transition makes deaths look more interesting
+ graphics - everything from the models to the textures to the light rays to the animations (not perfect but I like em) and shadows look very very good
+ bullet penetration - yes! finally!
+ black area of 3d scope - awesome touch
+ weapon carrying animation difference - another awesome touch
+ dialed in sniper scope/iron sighted sniper rifles - little options like this add up and make the truly great games, another awesome touch
+ destruction - it's by no means BC2 but I'm happy to see it in place

- HUD/UI too colorful, cartoony, and gamey looking. The cap zone bar especially looks pretty bad and even more out of place here than in Ostfont. Ideally no HUD at all and simple ingame notifications from a little animation or sound would work best but if not that a simple black and white bar or text would be more appropriate to not detract from the 3D visuals.
- Recon planes are also gamey and out of place considering the realism elsewhere.

Keep up the awesome work TW! This demo has been pretty damn impressive.

Well this covered all I would have to say,,good post

But I will agree that Recon Plane has to go(any recon plane showing itself over Stalingrad would of been shot to pieces pretty quickly,,, well I would think so anyways? I could be wrong,,,)

Also the HUD/IU is to much,,to colorful,,IMO less Hud n simpler is better

Great work TWI,,,take your time,,thx for the vids/update,,,cheers

Last edited:
Upvote 0