• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Latest Steam Screens "Hand Signals"

Status
Not open for further replies.
So true! Just look at all of the Gears of War games and the latest Call of Duty titles and that proves it... hell even BFBC2 goes way overboard on post processing.

It would be nice to return to a time when games actually used high quality textures for a change and stopped giving us over-the-top bloom. It does nothing for realism and really detracts from the experience in games that are supposed to be somewhat realistic.

So true, at times you can't even see 2 meters infront of you in BFC2 because of so called sunlight. In Day of Defeat:Source some whole buildings are just shiny white-gold objects.

Hopefully RO2 won't have any over the top visual effect in the game. Sometimes less is more.

Upvote 0
Yeah 08/15 standard blabla. :rolleyes: As I've replied before(that post + the post I replied to was deleted) everybody with an IQ 80+ should know that gameplay etc. are more important, but that alone does not give anyone the right to smash any discussion about the graphical quality itself down with that cheap arguement.

Of course nobody expected RO:HoS to be the new graphical reference, that was metaphorical, I only wanted to express that I would've expected the graphical advancement from Ostfront to HoS(judging by the screens) to be bigger. But as schneidzekk said it's still WIP and that's the downside of getting media at this point of development(though I doubt that graphics will improve much). And of course I have no doubts that in terms of art style / atmosphere HoS will be top notch as we're used to by TWI games.

But at the same time we should keep in mind that HoS does not have the 'former mod' excuse anymore and will most likely be a full-price game, so whether they want or not they'll have to compete in a different league now.

Especcially when looking at this this screenshot I have to say that it just looks kinda bland(building) and both ground textures as well as the grass doesn't really look up-to-date. There's 2008 games looking better than this and that worries me a bit since afaik TWI gets all the UE updates etc.

For any further discussion I'd suggest you take off your rose-coloured RO glasses first and stop acting like you had to defend HoS. I'll buy the game 120% and have no doubts that it will be extremely awesome, but criticism must be allowed especcially if it's valid as it is here.

Woah woah woah, overreacting a little aren't we.:rolleyes: I never said that criticism isn't allowed, nor do I think RO:HOS will be the most perfect game ever.

All I said is that it looks great to me already. Does that make me a fanboy? And that textures and 3D models aren't everything. Those are just a small piece of the puzzle. Everytime TWI releases screenshots, people tend to stare and stare at them and it's no surprise that you get a lot of comments like "the bullet holes are too round" or "the sand texture doesn't look very good compared to other games". Does it have the best graphics ever? No, but you're not going to notice when you actually play it.

You and I both seem to think that the game looks good enough, so what are you arguing about?

Upvote 0
Woah woah woah, overreacting a little aren't we.:rolleyes: I never said that criticism isn't allowed, nor do I think RO:HOS will be the most perfect game ever.

All I said is that it looks great to me already. Does that make me a fanboy? And that textures and 3D models aren't everything. Those are just a small piece of the puzzle. Everytime TWI releases screenshots, people tend to stare and stare at them and it's no surprise that you get a lot of comments like "the bullet holes are too round" or "the sand texture doesn't look very good compared to other games". Does it have the best graphics ever? No, but you're not going to notice when you actually play it.

You and I both seem to think that the game looks good enough, so what are you arguing about?
It's not about bullet holes or toilet textures but the general graphical quality. On most screenshots I don't notice such a big progress if you keep in mind that RO:O was released in June 2006 and HoS probably Fall 2011. And how am I not going to notice it when playing the game? I'm not letting my golden retriever guide-dog play the game for me, of course I notice the graphic(al quality) while playing. The thing that gets me upset is how someone always comes with this 08/15 gameplay is more important when people just want to discuss the graphical quality.

Upvote 0
"toilet textures" ;)

(well, don't we all have our favorites) :D

I read the argument ad-nauseum that graphical quality is not important like gameplay.......well this isn't an RT game gentlemen, it's an FPS game, and meant to resemble what we would see through our MarkII eyeballs. So visual fidleity will continue to be one of the essential elements of the immersive FPS experience (despite arguments to the contrary).

Upvote 0
graphics is important but doesn't super seed game least in my view

There are plenty of really pretty games that are absolute crap to play, true it's nice to have a the pretty toys but gameplay is still the most important thing in my view.

Hence why RO still gets played even with it's dated graphics.

Upvote 0
I quickly checked Ostfront again and have to say that game actually still looks pretty good for early 2006.

Anyhow, I had another look at the (June) RO:HoS screenshots.

Some screenshots like this and this one look really good and very 'plastic', I especcially like how there's so much rubble lying on the ground and the brick houses, it all seems very plastic -> I think the effect is called ambient occulsion?

Then again on screenshots like this or the new ones there's something that bothers me, I don't know what it is exactly. It's as if there was some sort of a filter overlay which makes it look kinda 'bland'(can't find another word for it). BiA:HH had this too, maybe it's the lighting? Idk. Plus on that last screenshot, what's with the buildings windows? It doesn't look like a big house so why not make it enterable, staying next to a hut with cheap window textures doesn't exactly increase immersion. Also those grass sprites look kinda ugly and outdated lol, but I guess better grass would also cost quite much performance.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Guys, most of these screenshots are incomplete and they are put out solely to feed our greedy, video game anticipating mouths. In my opinion, it is okay to discuss graphical quality as it may enlighten the dev team to something they might not have noticed... Thats why were here. Were not here to challenge the dev team or to complain about their work, but were here to come up with creative ideas and solutions to their problems , and they may or may not use them. IMHO its all about getting the devs to think from different perspectives and getting them to discuss topics that the community is discussing.

Who knows maybe they'll decide that perfectly round bullet holes in stone are fine, and if they do, I'll back up their decision and YES I will still buy the game. Because ultimately like what was said, gameplay supercedes everything.:cool:

Upvote 0
I quickly checked Ostfront again and have to say that game actually still looks pretty good for early 2006.

Anyhow, I had another look at the (June) RO:HoS screenshots.

Some screenshots like this and this one look really good and very 'plastic', I especcially like how there's so much rubble lying on the ground and the brick houses, it all seems very plastic -> I think the effect is called ambient occulsion?

Then again on screenshots like this or the new ones there's something that bothers me, I don't know what it is exactly. It's as if there was some sort of a filter overlay which makes it look kinda 'bland'(can't find another word for it). BiA:HH had this too, maybe it's the lighting? Idk. Plus on that last screenshot, what's with the buildings windows? It doesn't look like a big house so why not make it enterable, staying next to a hut with cheap window textures doesn't exactly increase immersion. Also those grass sprites look kinda ugly and outdated lol, but I guess better grass would also cost quite much performance.

As I've stated before:

1) Art passed (near final)
2) Not art passed (at all in that screen shot)

Upvote 0
We're here because we want the best for HEROES, and directly then, something for ourselves, but the last thing I want is for TWI's artists to stop their progress because I think it threatens gameplay somehow (when the opposite is true).

So please, to those at TWI who read my comments here, and those of others (most of which are well-intentioned and meant to be a sounding board for you), consider these comments for their merit as you will.

Thanks for all your good work, both past, present, and future!

Upvote 0
It's not about bullet holes or toilet textures but the general graphical quality. On most screenshots I don't notice such a big progress if you keep in mind that RO:O was released in June 2006 and HoS probably Fall 2011. And how am I not going to notice it when playing the game? I'm not letting my golden retriever guide-dog play the game for me, of course I notice the graphic(al quality) while playing. The thing that gets me upset is how someone always comes with this 08/15 gameplay is more important when people just want to discuss the graphical quality.

I have no idea what you mean by 08/15.

You seem to agree that gameplay is more important than graphics, yet you argue against those who say that.

Like I said, I think (as in: MY opinion) the general graphical quality is great. If you compare the German soldiers with those of Ostfront for example, that's a HUGE difference. It's also a personal thing. Some people, like you apparently, constantly notice 'poor' graphics while playing a game while others, like me, just play the damn game and ignore slight imperfections. Criticizing RO:HOS for not having Crysis-like graphics is one thing, but if you play the game and think "Man, this game really could have looked a lot better" then you're paying way too much attention to it and letting it bother you too much. If you don't really like the graphics, that's fine, but don't say that anybody who DOES like the graphics views the game through "rose coloured glasses". The game is still WIP so it will probably look better at release.

I'll repeat: I know that RO:HOS won't be the next big thing in graphics, but I don't care. At least it'll run good.

Last edited:
Reactions: [TW]schneidzekk
Upvote 0
And again for you sir: Gameplay is more important than the graphics. Let's call that a fact. But this fact must not be misused as an arguement in order not to allow any discussions about the graphics.

An example:

Person A: The lighting doesn't look too convincing imo and some textures could use some work imo.
Person B: who cares gameplay is more important

And that's wrong.

Upvote 0
And again for you sir: Gameplay is more important than the graphics. Let's call that a fact. But this fact must not be misused as an arguement in order not to allow any discussions about the graphics.

An example:

Person A: The lighting doesn't look too convincing imo and some textures could use some work imo.
Person B: who cares gameplay is more important

And that's wrong.

Maybe you should take a chill-pill and await the beta instead of jumping to conclusions.

Reactions: FlyXwire
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.