• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Battlefield: Bad Company 2

When it came out, BF2 was cutting edge, in graphics, features and handling.
If handling includes movement and weapons handling + feel then I disagree and most of my fps mates would too. It always had that floaty feeling to it and shooting at somebody just didn't feel right, I don't know what exactly caused it. I never figured out the how much to lead or the cone of fire system in this game, main reason why me and my pals preferred Joint Operations.

Actually, when I heard handling would be significantly different in BC2, that was when I considered buying the game. It will arrive sometime this week... we'll see.

Reactions: dogbadger
Upvote 0
The idea of 16-32-64 player map variants is nice but it doesn't execute well. No one plays BF2 for infantry battles so right there 16 player maps is scrapped. That leaves you with 32 and 64 which function essentially the same.
? There are quite many infantry only servers(as opposed to BC2s squad modes). Also I don't see 32 and 64 being essentially the same, there was almost always some significant difference.

(I think I actually played more BC2 than BF2 btw)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
If handling includes movement and weapons handling + feel then I disagree and most of my fps mates would too. It always had that floaty feeling to it and shooting at somebody just didn't feel right, I don't know what exactly caused it. I never figured out the how much to lead or the cone of fire system in this game, main reason why me and my pals preferred Joint Operations.
There are times when the aiming in BF2 feels amazing...and then there are times you can't understand why you didn't hit someone. I've never figured it out either, but I've always assumed it relates to performance and latency. I've refused to turn my settings down in BF2 to improve accuracy, which is what I know many have done. I'm pretty comfortable with how it handles, but that's only after a lot of familiarity. I've come to decide that your shot within your cone of fire is pretty much random, which is why you can miss someone almost at point blank range when you fire while moving on full auto.

As far as the feel and impact...I think that was a deliberate choice to try something different than what had worked in the past, their attempt at their own brand of realism. I don't think it worked particularly well...but I think they were going for the fact that bullets tend to go straight through people instead of impacting like slugs (as most games treat them). That leads to weapons feeling airy and light in BF2.

? There are quite many infantry only servers(as opposed to BC2s squad modes). Also I don't see 32 and 64 being essentially the same, there was almost always some significant difference.
Infantry only servers are and have been some of the most popular for quite a while. I'd say we play 75% of our games on them. Jalalabad with 64 players infantry only is insane. Bloody Pearl and Karkand Inf only is a riot.

We also play a lot of transport vehicle only servers, so no tanks, APCs or gunships. Those are a lot of fun.

There aren't a lot of 16 player servers because the maps are way, way too small, even for just that many people. The differences between 32 and 64 are usually 1 to 2 points on the map, and that usually has a large impact on your options in game.

The size, now that I think about it, is what makes a lot of BF2 as a game. It does a lot for the pacing. And that's really my complaint with BC2, it's paced to compete with MW2 and a lot of design decisions back that up, like no prone. If the maps were bigger, the player counts higher and the game could be played more methodically, like BF2, I'd be a bigger fan. But what I've seen of BC2 is this: spawn, wait 15 seconds, start shooting at a guy. The maps don't give you the room to play tactically like BF2 does.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Personally one of the things that bothered me other than the ballistics and feel of the weapons was the very clunky and robotic movement. If there is one thing I do really enjoy about BFBC2 it's the feel and movement of the game. As long as they capture that aspect in the universe of a true BF game (which is unlikely now that it's probably going to be a console port too), I'm fine with that.

Big maps
-Maybe 64 player max, depends on the map sizes for this one.
-Infantry only server option for those who want it.
-Maybe a reduction in use of grenade launchers so the destruction won't be incredibly rampant throughout the map's gameplay.
-Artillery make a comeback rather than all recon classes having mortars.
etc

Upvote 0
The size, now that I think about it, is what makes a lot of BF2 as a game. It does a lot for the pacing. And that's really my complaint with BC2, it's paced to compete with MW2 and a lot of design decisions back that up, like no prone. If the maps were bigger, the player counts higher and the game could be played more methodically, like BF2, I'd be a bigger fan. But what I've seen of BC2 is this: spawn, wait 15 seconds, start shooting at a guy. The maps don't give you the room to play tactically like BF2 does.

This is my complaint aswell.

BC2 has amazing sounds, I really enjoy the sounds with my 5.1 system, graphics are shiny I like that and movement miles ahead of BF2's plastic bunny soldiers. It has detroyable enviroment that is not just a gimmick. Hopefully these will be new standards for fps games from now on.

But the pacing kills it, too chaotic and theres stuff happening every second. You are being bombarded with scores, kills streaks, spotted enemies, unlocks, medals, explosive sounds(great sounds), shiny bullets, destroyed buildings...all this within 10-20 seconds into the game. And you have to play it the same way everytime, theres no room to breath or flank.

It's like watching a war movie that has nothing else than a guy running and firing his m60 for the whole 2 hours. BC2 is a great game, but I just wish the action was tuned down just a little tiny bit :eek:.

Upvote 0
This is my complaint aswell.

BC2 has amazing sounds, I really enjoy the sounds with my 5.1 system, graphics are shiny I like that and movement miles ahead of BF2's plastic bunny soldiers. It has detroyable enviroment that is not just a gimmick. Hopefully these will be new standards for fps games from now on.

But the pacing kills it, too chaotic and theres stuff happening every second. You are being bombarded with scores, kills streaks, spotted enemies, unlocks, medals, explosive sounds(great sounds), shiny bullets, destroyed buildings...all this within 10-20 seconds into the game. And you have to play it the same way everytime, theres no room to breath or flank.

It's like watching a war movie that has nothing else than a guy running and firing his m60 for the whole 2 hours. BC2 is a great game, but I just wish the action was tuned down just a little tiny bit :eek:.

I agree with this even with the better hardcore mode in the game the action get's a little ridiculous all the time.

And why does everyone want to be a sniper? If you want to be some sniper at least hang back and shoot important targets.

I can cause some considerable damage to the enemy tank with the APC if you get one and use it as support from afar this dodge the volleys of RPG's coming at you since no one supports the support vehicle:D

Upvote 0
And why does everyone want to be a sniper? If you want to be some sniper at least hang back and shoot important targets.

In a word, clays.

Very few BF2 servers use FF....and when FF is off, claymores rule. The usual MO is a sniper turns a corner with clays in hand, sprints, jumps at you, drops the clay over you, then tries to run hoping you don't shoot him in the back before the clay goes off.

Upvote 0
In a word, clays.

Very few BF2 servers use FF....and when FF is off, claymores rule. The usual MO is a sniper turns a corner with clays in hand, sprints, jumps at you, drops the clay over you, then tries to run hoping you don't shoot him in the back before the clay goes off.

Snipers don't have claymores in BC2, or any mines for that matter.

Reactions: Speirs
Upvote 0
ROFL -> "Top quality titles like 2010 FIFA World Cup South Africa, innovative digital offerings for titles like Battlefield: Bad Company 2 and Scrabble on the Apple iPad are driving the business," said EA CEO John Riccitiello in the earnings statement.

Yeah right.

How in the unholy name of ******** is Scrabble an innovative offering? It might be lucrative as all hell, but innovative it ain't.

Upvote 0
Are you for sure that consoles only support DX9? I thought 360s and PS3s were supposed to be targeting DX10.

It would be a real kick in the pants if BF3 was one of the few games that demanded something better than Win XP.

I kinda call BS on this one, just because a) they've said a multiplatform release and b) we'd be looking at 1.5 years of hype at least for another generation of consoles.....and BF3 will release before that. More likely is that it has 64 bit/DX10 and DX11 options that only the PC users can take advantage of.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
If handling includes movement and weapons handling + feel then I disagree and most of my fps mates would too. It always had that floaty feeling to it and shooting at somebody just didn't feel right, I don't know what exactly caused it. I never figured out the how much to lead or the cone of fire system in this game, main reason why me and my pals preferred Joint Operations..

yeah i loved that and at the time it was BF vietnam that it knocked off it's perch.
Its a real shame that the 2 or 3 mods for it only added more weapons+vehicles and didn't address it's shortcoming ( which I believe would not have been too dififcult to do)
I thought BF2 was a great technical achievement but i know what you mean about the gunplay - though it did get better for me in time.

Upvote 0