• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Fire Axe to the Firebug? (anti-Husk)

-[SiN]-bswearer

Grizzled Veteran
Apr 3, 2008
might have been suggested in a zerker/firebug thread before but i couldn't find it in a search......

so, yeah the fire axe as a firebug weapon.....makes sense to me. here's my reasons why:

• the zerker has 5 weapons, meaning 2 too many. (granted one is the knife and you're stuck with it no matter what)
  • the machete is hardly ever used by zerkers
  • the fire axe is rarely used by zerkers
  • the firebug simply needs another weapon
  • giving the axe to the firebug would get the weapon more use as the perk currently only has 1 weapon (aside from flamenades at level3)
  • removing the axe from the zerker would encourage more machete use by lower ranked zerkers who cannot yet afford the chainsaw or katana
  • most firebugs complain they don't have enough flamethrower ammo.....a melee weapon can help them conserve their flamethrower ammo while still giving them an inexpensive and cost effective weapon to kill with.
the second part of my suggestion is creating a purpose for using the fire axe. sure the firebug has resistance to damage from the Husk, but currently there's no weapon/perk designed to specifically target Husks (SS just kind of take that role as part of priority targeting since husks are typically at a distance). not to encourage firebugs to go running out to kill Husks, but say a Husk got close to the team (probably because a SS was too busy spamming his EBR :eek::rolleyes:), then the firebug has the axe that has a damage bonus specifically against Husks.

Reactions: Olivier
I say nay.

I have a few reasons, myself:

1) Just because there's "fire" in Fire Axe doesn't mean it should go to the Firebug;

2) If the perk were to receive a melee weapon, I'd rather if it were the previously-suggested Thermal Lance, or Fallout 3's Shishkebab. It just fits better.

3) Fire axe, IRL, is used by firefighters, not fire fighters.

So, um... those are my arguments.

Upvote 0
so, yeah the fire axe as a firebug weapon.....makes sense to me.

Really?! THAT makes sense to you?
I'm gonna go ahead and assume you want to change the game based on Etymology rather than any rational thought.
Seriously, how much time did you put on coming up with that idea?

Gotta admit though, even if preceded by such a naive and shallow line of thought, the change you propose would help a little for balancing. Then again, so would giving the berserker a gun, and that half-assed solution makes about the same sense as yours.

Upvote 0
There's no need for the axe anyways, with the flamethrower you can have a katana or Handcannon(single cos i dislike double)

lol I shud slam an axe in ur face just for sayin that. The Axe was one of the first KF weapons ever, there is a clan that started in the KFMod called AxeMen, they still are around today and frequently play the kfmod and kfretail. The axe is probably my favourite melee weapon because the model is stunning and the texture is eyegasm. If you mean there is no need for axe for firebug then forget what I wrote.

Upvote 0
I say nay.

1) Just because there's "fire" in Fire Axe doesn't mean it should go to the Firebug;

I agree, fire axe is clearly a melee weapon which naturally is for the Zerker, it sorta doesn't fit to take it off the Berserker and give it to the firebug.

Not saying I would like the firebug to get a fire axe bonus but if anything the firebug should perhaps get a minor bonus to the fire axe (maybe a weight reduction) but it should still be a zerker weapon.

Although would I totally crap on point 3 by pointing out this? :)

Upvote 0
Point 3 was kind of a joke, a "jeux de mots" (dammit, how do you say that in english?) with firefighters and fire fighters (respectively, those who fight the fire, and those who fight with fire)

It's not so funny after I explain it, though. :/

Oh LoL my bad :p

Would the word your looking for be ironic? As in firefighter uses the axe (a dangerous weapon) to save lives rather than endanger lives, whereas a fire fighter (someone intent on doing harm) doesn't use an axe despite its lethal abilties :)

Upvote 0
Point 3 was kind of a joke, a "jeux de mots" (dammit, how do you say that in english?) with firefighters and fire fighters (respectively, those who fight the fire, and those who fight with fire)

It's not so funny after I explain it, though. :/

A "jeux de mots" is a play on words. It's actually kind of weird how similar the expressions are o.o

Upvote 0
regarding the "fire" portion of my comment: don't troll me like i'm some 12 year old idiot. @ the people who know they did, maybe if you actually read the rest of the suggestion, there's plenty of logical rationalization behind the idea to support it enough to make you take it seriously. btw, here's the comment when put into context:

so, yeah the fire axe as a firebug weapon.....makes sense to me. here's my reasons why:

did i specifically list "cuz it haz deh word fire in it, it shuld b a weapon 4 deh firebug LOL :D" as one of my reasons that i bulleted following that comment? i don't believe i did, did i? :rolleyes: all i did, was make a somewhat satircal point that a small similarity in a portion of the weapon/perk name could provide a tiny correlation between the perk and the title of the weapon. now when i say "here's my reasons why" following the "makes sense to me comment", even a halfwhit could read that as "oh, he suggests the weapon could work with this perk, now he is giving his reasoning as to why" and tell that i was not seriously using that "point" regarding the term "fire" as a major point to support my line of reasoning for the idea. so, please keep your moronic comments to yourself and at the very least if you wish to condemn the idea, please try to provide a logical explaination supporting your point.

anyway.....

thermal lance - first of all it's a bit, idk, out of place for a game like this. secondly, it'd be yet another weapon TW would have to create, test, impliment into the game, and then rebalance it later on if they discover it becomes too overpowered. :p why bother, especially with all the other work they have to do? i read through that thread when it was originally posted and it's safe to say there was not even one logical reason that would support it's inclusion in the game other than having fire since the firebug has a flamethrower which also has fire. same for the shishkebab

again with the axe in regards to the zerker.....currently it has no purpose in the game. zerkers don't need it because they have chainsaws and katanas and even the knife which at times can be more effective than the chainsaw :rolleyes: additionally it's removal as a zerker weapon would hopefully promote more use of the machete (another underappreciated weapon) by lower ranked zerkers. yes the game used to promote the weapon, but the addition of the katana took away whatever appeal the weapon had as a zerker's weapon.

as for the axe in regards to becoming a firebug's weapon......the medic has an mp7, why's that? he doesn't need any bullets since he should be healing people not killing right since that's what he was designed for? oh, and every perk has a knife right? why do they all have melee weapons when they aren't the zerker? i think you can see where i'm going with this....who cares if it's a melee weapon if the weapon can serve a purpose as a effective weapon for the perk? add some type of extra damage in the hands of a firebug against husks and at least it has some unique and effective function, which is at least a step up from it's current state which is useless and hardly ever used. and the most basic point....the perk needs another weapon, preferrably a light weight (blocks) weapon to carry alongside the flamethrower

the firebug has a need for at least one more weapon. the zerker has 2 weapons that are never used. the logical deduction would be to make current weapons usefull as opposed to TW creating brand new weapons which will 10-1 end up rendering other weapons useless. instead of that illogical solution, it'd be more intelligent to rotate weapons to other classes so long as it makes enough sense. in this case, if you actually read my posts, the support is there to make the case for this suggestion to be implimented. ;)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I say nay.

I have a few reasons, myself:

2) If the perk were to receive a melee weapon, I'd rather if it were the previously-suggested Thermal Lance, or Fallout 3's Shishkebab. It just fits better.

i agree this game needs a flaming melee weapon.

Upvote 0
lol I shud slam an axe in ur face just for sayin that. The Axe was one of the first KF weapons ever, there is a clan that started in the KFMod called AxeMen, they still are around today and frequently play the kfmod and kfretail. The axe is probably my favourite melee weapon because the model is stunning and the texture is eyegasm. If you mean there is no need for axe for firebug then forget what I wrote.

same here.
But the mod sounds for the Axe Impact on flesh was much, much better than it currently it.

Upvote 0
I like the Melee weapons just as they are. I actually use the Machete and Fireaxe. Usually I'll use the fireaxe on fleshpounds since I do better with the ax than sword or chainsaw.

Although I do think that the Pyro should get some kind of Attack Bonus if using the fireaxe since a firefighter would have alot of Axe experience and It would be a handy backup weapon for fighting those pesky husks.

Upvote 0
The fireaxe is my favorite melee weapon and it has always made me sad that I can't carry a flamer with it, but if you ask me then taking the Fireaxe away from the berserker and giving it to the firebug would be a bit confusing, such as the LAW not being a demolitions weapon.

The Fireaxe is a sharp edged melee weapon, you smack stuff with it. Firebug specializes in fire, not melee so I vote no. It's still a hella good weapon for any non-zerker though, forget the katana.

Upvote 0
Although I do think that the Pyro should get some kind of Attack Bonus if using the fireaxe since a firefighter would have alot of Axe experience and It would be a handy backup weapon for fighting those pesky husks.
But a firefighter puts fires out, not use them as weapons......
The Firebug is not a firefighter. How on earth did you confuse the two? They're the exact opposite!

Last edited:
Upvote 0