• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

[Game] Ham & Jam

Jaesperson

Grizzled Veteran
Dec 24, 2005
I wonder if anyone has noticed this mod, yet:

[url]http://www.hamandjam.org/[/URL]

looks like it's based on the source engine. one could ask if we really need another ww2 based source-shooter, but judging from the videos this looks pretty solid to me. they seem to know where they want to go with this.

YouTube - April 2010 - Thompson Preview

rather arcardish, but fun (i guess this wasn't meant to be a contradiction when they coined the term 'arcarde')

Ya, over at Mare Nostrum we were pretty well aware of H&J, but I the impression I had was it was taking a long time to develop and might never come out sorta deal.

As a modder to a modder, I'm glad H&J is progressing though.. the more the merrier I say.

Indeed, if I remember correctly DirtyRat (the guy who organised our scottish voice recordings) did some voices for H&J too.

Upvote 0
Hate to be a downer but looks very outdated. I thought of DoD:S as well which is unfortunately not a positive thing.

I agree. This seems very similar to MW2 online, aside from the giant text and music that covers up your screen every 2 minutes.

But the core gameplay does not look much different from main stream retail games.

Still, nice to see mods being made.

Upvote 0
yep. thought of dod:s, too.
this one seems to fix/add/take away stuff that kept me from enjoying dod:s, though.
i also like outdated games, because that means i can run them on my pc :p

the developing team just doesn't treat this as a fulltime job, so i wonder if we are ever going to see a release. as this mod isn't something to get uber-excited about, though, i wouldn't mind if these guys just had their fun, because they seem to be nice, laid back guys. that jed guy has been around for ages, remember him from the dod-era.

Upvote 0
funny. they posted that comparsion on the same day this thread was opened.

Where DoDS’ gameplay is linear, limited and more often than not stagnant, HaJ succeeds in creating varied and exciting gameplay over a large number of different scenarios. I often get the feeling that HaJ is in the direction of what I would have liked and hoped DoDS to be, far closer in gameplay to the old DoD 3.1 beta that captured my imagination all those years ago.

i want to believe that guy. looks like they are on a good path. i like the teamwork elements, movement penalties and whatnot.

Upvote 0
from what they say it seems like an interesting mix of features - some realistic and some not so much yet gameplay enhancing for example rewarding teamwork with a skills boost.
If they get the mix right this could be enjoyable, i'll be checking it out in any case.
and a conflct of interests with crytek no less.

Whatever happened to Mare Nostrum? :( I can never find any servers that have more than 5 players... :(:(:(:(

the settings wern't familiar enough and the allied troops weren't american enough, which unfortunately will place HaJ at a disadvantage as well.

Upvote 0
Personally I'm looking forward to the finished product alot.

Jed has alot of experience from the old DoD MSA community as well as side projects with Tim Holt (former DoD dev) and companies like the History channel. He's also somewhat of a history buff so it's nice to see some of these battles in a video game for the first time. Where as Ginger Lord, who does most of the update posts, won a few awards if I remember for his DoD mapping and now works at Crytek as a level designer.

Upvote 0