• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

respawning players and distance issues

mikeloeven

Grizzled Veteran
Jul 5, 2010
respawning players need to be placed near the trader or the timers need to be adjusted to allow them time to reach the group in time. with custom maps the traders are in unusual positions or just generally too far away for a respawning player to reach in time. this has lead to an issue where the round can start leaving you alone and surrounded not because you got lost but because there simply isn't enough time after the respawn to meet up with the rest of the group. this should never be able to happen and in official maps it normally doesent. but larger and larger maps are being created and there needs to be some kind of failsafe for example

if distance from spawn point to trader > 100 spawn at trader location

or if distance from spawn point to trader > 100 add 30 seconds to timer. for every additional 100 meters.

or if these provide ballance issues than if distance from player to trader > 100 spawn next to active player selected at random

but as it is you should never spawn in such a way that you cannot reach the trader or meet up with the rest of the group.

There is ALWAYS time to reach the trader in those 60 seconds, even on Farm. Take your knife out and stop failing.

You died, the game doesn't have to pander to your every need, you need to stop dieing.

i think he was talking about custom maps. i know one example. Krasnyoktyabr. one trader is ~230 meters away and its impossible to get there in time, ive tried.

Upvote 0
you know guys is it really all that hard to simple have players re-spawn at the open trader. i mean you have paths leading you to them so the game obviously knows where the trader is at any given time. it isn't a problem because you were already dead and you have only your starting money so really there is no problem with this change other than those created by trolls who have never found themselves 300m from the trader surrounded by fleshpounds

Upvote 0
you know guys is it really all that hard to simple have players re-spawn at the open trader. i mean you have paths leading you to them so the game obviously knows where the trader is at any given time. it isn't a problem because you were already dead and you have only your starting money so really there is no problem with this change other than those created by trolls who have never found themselves 300m from the trader surrounded by fleshpounds

ok first of all, you don't respawn with your starting money, you respawn with whatever you had left minus a little bit for penalty.

second, i can already think of ways to abuse that if it were to happen, take foundry, third floor, end of 8th wave. You'll unlucky and you get the super far trader, i know i'll just nade myself to death and conveniently respawn at the trader, that way i'll have more than enough time to make it back and weld the door.

that was an example from a offical map, can you imagine the cr@p you can get away with on the custom maps?

no, the solution to far traders is easy, we all have to deal with it some times, just don't die

Last edited:
Upvote 0
But then why would TWI have to code the game to make bad mappers' custom maps easier?

again, i never said i was supporting this thread. i never said it has anything to do with TWI. i was saying an example since evil said you can always get to trader in 60 seconds.

i agree with the rest of you that you should just stop dying. the game shouldnt pity you by putting you right up to the trader for dying

Upvote 0
again, i never said i was supporting this thread. i never said it has anything to do with TWI. i was saying an example since evil said you can always get to trader in 60 seconds.

i agree with the rest of you that you should just stop dying. the game shouldnt pity you by putting you right up to the trader for dying

Not trying to be offensive but you should probably have made that clear...

Simply stating that custom maps may not allow you to cover said distance in time without saying they are bad map makers looks like a counter-arguement, not a supportive point.

Upvote 0
Your teammates can always buy you a weapon or two. And the risk of not getting to the trader on-time is part of the difficulty. Making the game easier is not a good suggestion.

What about late joiners? People who join in the middle of the game, and are unlucky enough to spawn when theres only 15 seconds on the clock?

In my opinion it would be only fair and reasonable if these players would be either spawned directly to the trader or the trader time was extended when a new player joins (this one might be problematic tho).

Because when you think about it, whats going to happen if he spawns at the last seconds on wave 6 assuming the trader isnt right next to the spawn? He is going to die, if he isnt lvl 5-6 (in which case he has a weapon and therefor chance of survival). Personally I hate it when some noobs joins at the very end of the trader time, dies immendiately after trader time ends because he couldnt reach the trader nor the other players, then he ragequits and the rest of the team have to fight against a larger group of specimens.

An experienced player might survive just fine depending on the map and his perk levels, but newer players might not be as lucky

There is ALWAYS time to reach the trader in those 60 seconds, even on Farm. Take your knife out and stop failing.

You died, the game doesn't have to pander to your every need, you need to stop dieing.

Not if its a custom map like North Sea where you could have a distance of 300 to the trader (if I remember correctly).

Alright, if you die in the previous wave its your fault, BUT like I told to Olivier lets not forget the late joiners. Its so annoying when I join a suicidal game just to notice its wave 8, distance to the trader 200+ and only 20 seconds left on the timer before next wave starts. In some cases you could simply swich server but while doing so you might increase the size of the next wave for the rest of the players. Or if I want to join the server where my friends are playing, swiching a server isnt rly an option unless they want to do so aswell (which I doubt they would just because you didnt have time for the trader lol).

So basically what Im trying to say is, anyone who joins in the middle of the game should be teleported directly to the trader. That means anyone who died on the previous wave still need to walk to the trader, only new players would get this privilidge.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
So basically what Im trying to say is, anyone who joins in the middle of the game should be teleported directly to the trader. That means anyone who died on the previous wave still need to walk to the trader, only new players would get this privilidge.

And what if you were spawned in the middle of the trader with only 3 seconds left to go? What do you do then?

Don't be ridiculous. You spawn at the 'start', end of story. No reason for that to change. Besides, 5/6 spawn with weapons.

Upvote 0
Quite frankly I don't see how this is an issue.

If your joining a game and there isn't enough time to get to the trader (and you feel you will die) you can simply opt to wait for the next wave.

Also, spawning directly to the trader does seem easily exploitable ,as someone said before me.

My advice: If you spawn knowing your not going to make it to the trader, look around for weapons on the ground instead. Chances are someone died and dropped a weapon or you might be able to find a gun at a weapon spawn point. You can also stick with your teamates (which you should be doing anyway) to supplement your lack of fire power.

The only time "spawning late" caused my death was when I was a very low level and spawned on wave 8/10, 9/10... and so on. And to tell you the truth, I kinda enjoyed having to scrounge my way through a wave using only the weapons available to me at the time, even if it led to my death.

Upvote 0