• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Fear of Death

LJFHutch

Grizzled Veteran
Jan 2, 2010
Australia
Death means you're not around anymore right? Really long respawns make the player fear death like nothing, else, having to wait 5 minutes until you come back in would make you cry out in panic when you see the enemy, would stress you out. At the same time, it would be bloody annoying when you die huh, 5 minutes is a long time.

I've already suggested this over at the ArmA2 forums, and I think a few mission makers did something with it. I think it's a pretty neat little idea :)

So, here's how you do it:

Really long respawn times (possibly even 5 minutes long) yet when you die you don't sit there watching a timer, you play. You're no longer a part of the main game, but you instead play a small game of deathmatch with the other dead soldiers while waiting to respawn. This would take place somewhere other than the main map (you don't want to get attacked by ghosts :D).

It doesn't have to be deathmatch, maybe you could have the soldiers riding in a truck to get to the front line with global reinforcement timers on about 5 or so minutes with a truck for each team driving along a road with say, 10 stations. When soldiers die they spawn at the next stop for the reinforcement truck and jump in with the rest of their incoming team until eventually they arrive at the battlefield where the truck drops them off. Would be awesome driving along with the "new guys", talking about tactics, getting ammo etc, drinking vodka :D

For short attention spans:
You die and play DM for 5 minutes with everyone who is currently dead, then come back. That way you fear death yet don't die from boredom IRL.

What do you think?

Last edited:
I also wonder too what may be a good way to make people care more about their life in-game.
Whenever I die I just want to get make into the fray as fast as possible and usually curse my spawn time. A decent spawn time like 0:30-50 seconds is enough I think, it gives you time to look at your map, plan your strat and change your kit if need be and it's not long enough for me to loose interest.
Anything over that and I tend to alt tab and check my emails or something.
In team games where your team and/or squad really depends on you and your firepower you want to get back to the combat as fast as you can, games such as RoHos.
Anyway, I think the server admins should be able to choose the spawn times manually. Your 5 minute idea might be included in some of the super hardcore servers, who knows:)

Upvote 0
Fear of death in a game is a myth but indeed the hate for death can be increased.

Personally I think limiting reinforcements can be a better method than longer spawn times. Aka allow someone to manage for himself that he'll need to take things a bit slower.

But i think both limiting reinforcements and increasing spawn time would be nice to change through a mutator or whatever. As especially realism units like game play with an increased importance to staying alive.

Upvote 0
I'm curious how it would go if each person had a number of respawns / reinforcements.

So in ROOST, each player would have on average 10 lives, if you have 160 total spawns for reinforcements on a 16v16 server.

If instead, each player gets 10 respawns, people might be more careful about getting killed, since they can't leach from the pool.

You could even incentivise different roles by giving them fewer or higher spawns - like less spawns for snipers (makes sure they stay back and do their job).

Upvote 0
I'm curious how it would go if each person had a number of respawns / reinforcements.

So in ROOST, each player would have on average 10 lives, if you have 160 total spawns for reinforcements on a 16v16 server.

If instead, each player gets 10 respawns, people might be more careful about getting killed, since they can't leach from the pool.

You could even incentivise different roles by giving them fewer or higher spawns - like less spawns for snipers (makes sure they stay back and do their job).

Sounds kinda frustating to me. If you play in a team with almost no experienced players and they all waste their 10 lives then your the only one or with a few experienced players in battle.

The idea is good, but it would be frustrating for me.

Upvote 0
In my opinion, when you die, you wait 60 seconds standard. In this 60 seconds you can spectate the living players, chat to the other dead players or play a one-sided game of Pong. :D:D:D

(I'm serious)

Respawn times are carefully calculated by the level designers. It varies map by map, it's not something an admin should be able to change.

Upvote 0
Rewarding staying alive by penalizing deaths within the mechanics of the HEROES rank-up system is one means of promoting "fear of death".

Much of this ranking-up stuff should depend on K/D ratios, and although some dislike this being a consideration of individual success, I can see no more authentic way to judge overall effectiveness, than killing the enemy more times than he kills you. In the aggragate sum of those playing the various MP modes in HEROES in future weeks, months, and years, K/D ranking could work towards creating an actual effectiveness relationship between how often a player dies while trying to do the same to his opponents.

In mission-oriented sessions, rank-up points should also be awarded for capturing objectives on a team-wise basis, to promote group play, along with K/D achievements being assessed per individual actions too.

Upvote 0
In RO it is common to have 4 or more people from one team die in short succession, so adding a long spawn timer will simply cause the other team to camp your spawn(s) because they'll quickly have no resistence in moving forward.

One could argue that there should be more spawn areas and exits, and I would agree, but with 16 or more per side.. you'd need a lot of exits.

Fear of death comes from fear of losing the map. If you really want to win... you'll play smarter. In addition, you can't ever control how the other guy is going to value his life in-game.. attempting to do so would really restrict all players.

Like Xendance said
Respawn times are carefully calculated by the level designers. It varies map by map..
I'm pretty sure it has a lot to do with distances.

Upvote 0
Sounds kinda frustating to me. If you play in a team with almost no experienced players and they all waste their 10 lives then your the only one or with a few experienced players in battle.

The idea is good, but it would be frustrating for me.

There are countless methods around that like for instance ability to share reinforcements. And giving out reinforcements on a per cap basis rather than once at the start of the map. Aka if someone runs out fast its only till the next capzone is capped.

And finally the ability forfeit or auto forfeit once X people are left.

Upvote 0