• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Probably the Simpliest sollution for the Monotony?

Velatieren

Jul 16, 2010
(I wouldn't be surprised if there were a few similar threads before, but, whatever.)

Well, let us not beat around the bush. For the most of players, Killing Floor is just a great game. That's a fact. I knew it after the first time I played it (Steam free weekend) and bought it (one day AFTER the weekend). But there was one thing that really disappointed me: the repeatibility and monotony of grind after a longer time of gameplay. Let us be honest, the current map type (let's call it ''Wave Survival") relies on a typical, Eastern MMO grind pattern.

"Hunt -> kill -> buy ammo -> hunt-> kill-> buy ammo -> Hunt -> kill -> buy ammo and pipebombs -> own the Patriarch -> Generic_Chat_Cheer.exe -> next map -> loop the above".

It really can get boring, especialy after several hours of playing, when you already know all the tactics for each map and mutant you will fight (and utterly own if you know a right way, let's face it).

This game REALLY deserves something more. Something... fresh. That's why we need the simpliest of sollutions:

The co-op mission mode.

That's all. Just a few, free official maps (customs are almost never too well-known) with objectives to do with the Patriarch as the final Boss. For an instance:the Wyre Forrest mixed with the Biolab (simple example - you have to get through the woods to the abandoned military base. Beneath it, there's the Patriarch hibernated in his own laboratory, controlling the mutants through the hibernatic sleep. Your objective is to wake him up and kill him. On your way down there, you would have to get through several smaller events, like defending yourself while the gate's opening, survive through the room full of glass tanks with mutants, that were ''accidentally opened'' by you when an error occured while hacking the system, having the group of players to split up to make two objectives on the different sides of the map, having one part of players defend themselfves while the others are trying to open the way from the other side of the facility, etc, etc)

In advance - Yes, I know it would take a lot of work and time (and probably costs). But seriously - this game REALLY deserves it, besides it would keep the players for longer and would brought the new ones, as the Grinding Circle would be broken at last. Let us not kill such a great title JUST because ''we don't want it to be like other survival horrors", because it IS the best sollution here!

Comment and tell what do you think about it!
;)

PS: also, please, tell me what's the chance for any further updates for Killing Floor [like, new maps etc.], as I'm not too oriented in this forum yet xP

Last edited:
Upvote 0
There are some mission maps such as Candlesmoke, Damnation

Those maps are rediculously hard, and just a pain, i solo'd it with cheats on just to see the whole map and ended up with like thousands upon thousands of kills and a near broken processor lol.

To the op, heres something to do for a while, download the adminplus mutator, and be your own AI director.

pretty funny when you spawn a fleshpound into the trader, or 10 scrakes on top of someones head, or spawning 10 husks/sirens to the location of someone exploiting

Upvote 0
Those maps are rediculously hard, and just a pain, i solo'd it with cheats on just to see the whole map and ended up with like thousands upon thousands of kills and a near broken processor lol.

Yeah, sad but true most mission maps (altho theres like 5-10 of them overall?) are just horribly laggy due the amount of specimens spawned. I have a very good machine but even I had slowdowns on Candelsmoke and Damnation. Altho, Fel claimed that the lag on Damnation happens only in first couple of waves, and on Candelsmoke you are supposed to wait around before moving on. Last time I just ran ahead with Berserker and ended up with around 700 specimens at the same time, thats where my comp froze completely xD

But yeah I admit that the current perking system is very tiresom on the long run. Ive said it a few times before, that the leveling up should be tied on achievements rather than plain damage. But of course, in order to do this theyd have to tweak the system a lot, and perhaps add more levels but modify the advantages each one gives.

Maybe they should reward points for completing certain achievements and you could spend those points on any perk you want. So lets say, if you survive a long game on suicidal youd get 10 points, and you could spend them on eg. Medic perk to make him faster. They could have this typical mmo/rpg leveling up table where you have certain "talents" you can boost by adding points, where each point could be worth 2% increase:

Medic

Running Speed: 5 points (10% increase)
Syringe Recharge: 10 points (20% increase)
Armor Boost: 20 points (40% better)
MP7 Reload Speed: 0 points (0% increase)
MP7 Damage: 2 points (4% increase)
MP7 Acc: 4 points (8% better acc)
MP7 Discount: 25 points (50% discount)

And of course each "talent" would have its own maximum value so you couldnt have something like 500% better body armor or 400% more mp7 damage. And if the perk has special talents like detecting health bars (commando) it could require eg. 20 points to activate the talent and anything over 20 would increase the distance at which he can see the health bars from.

And perhaps they could also reward a point for completeing a short game (4 waves), 2 points for normal game (7 waves) and 3 points for a long game (10 waves) IN ADDITION to completing these achivements or what ever. At least youd get SOMETHING for EVERY game you play so it doesnt feel so desparate having to wait hours and more hours until you finally level up for 1 perk...

Something this advanced probably will never make it to Killing Floor but maybe if they were to make a sequel... One can only dream :)

Upvote 0
Simple = not sophisticated

Simple =/= Easy

:p
I know, but I'm sure the code needed to create Co-op maps would be far more sophisticated than you think it might be, or at least more sophisticated than some other solutions. Lord knows, it's like that with my computing coursework. I'll need to make a program, so I say "I'll do this, this and this, seems easy enough." Then it has to fart about and break and unforseen problems appear and the files corrupt and I have to start over. Working sucks >=|

Upvote 0
I know, but I'm sure the code needed to create Co-op maps would be far more sophisticated than you think it might be, or at least more sophisticated than some other solutions. Lord knows, it's like that with my computing coursework. I'll need to make a program, so I say "I'll do this, this and this, seems easy enough." Then it has to fart about and break and unforseen problems appear and the files corrupt and I have to start over. Working sucks >=|

Amen to that! Any time somewhat suggests something that would require completely new code they should be forced to sit at a computer and debug a program for several hours.

Upvote 0
yeah it would, imagine how awesome it would be to do mosin nagant volleys on specimens!

We did something very similar on one of those Defence servers :cool: about 30 people were at the front gate with LARs, one line of 15 crouched in front, another line of 15 standing in the back. We fire the front line, and then the back line on the order to fire.

It was awesome. :eek:

Upvote 0