• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Tactics Commandos: the most useless perk ever?

nope, I ve busted 50 bloats on hard difficulty with 2 canisters. LV 3 firebug has a 140 capacity canister. Not to mention that fire grenades are deadly as hell.

In my opinion effectiveness goes like this:
sharpshooter > support > demo = firebug > medic = commando

And how long youve been playing this game?

Yeah, you can bust 50 bloats if they are all lined up in front of you.

But, with a commando you could bust that 50 bloats with 50 bullets from bullbup which is like what, 1/8th of his ammo supply on a single weapon, while Firebug would spend 2/3th on his only (perk) weapon.

Also medic is way more powerful than firebug, maybe not due his weapon but his armor is superior and he can even outrun the Patriarch so that makes him superior against firebug.

Demo might be about as powerful as firebug simply because he cant use his weapons on closecombat, but other than that..

Upvote 0
nope, I ve busted 50 bloats on hard difficulty with 2 canisters. LV 3 firebug has a 140 capacity canister. Not to mention that fire grenades are deadly as hell.

In my opinion effectiveness goes like this:
sharpshooter > support > demo = firebug > medic = commando

nah man, its a known fact that bloats are more vunerable to fire damage than any other specimen. I'm a lvl 5 Commando, it took me agggeeess to get there, but i can tell you now it is far, far from useless.

Upvote 0
commando is not usless.

good fire power against Skrackes, FP.. not the best but good firepower on those special specimen.

+ good firepower on all other specimen.

+if you Headshot everything (it is easy) you can say that commando is one of the best perks. killing with HS is easy at mid-distance and close.

maybe i'm wrong but that is what i think.
and it depends on how you play, some people are good with x perk, and some are good with z perks.

Upvote 0
commando is not usless.

good fire power against Skrackes, FP.. not the best but good firepower on those special specimen.

+ good firepower on all other specimen.

+if you Headshot everything (it is easy) you can say that commando is one of the best perks. killing with HS is easy at mid-distance and close.

maybe i'm wrong but that is what i think.
and it depends on how you play, some people are good with x perk, and some are good with z perks.

Commando is great against the weak specs, good against the medium specs, average against scrakes, (this is the spelling) and get raeped by fleshpounds.

EDIT: This information is for a Commando by themself.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Just played with a Commando lvl 6. On Offices, Long, Normal. We were only 2 at all the end of waves since wave 6, and with his great help we've killed Patrick. This perk isn't powerful, but it isn't bad. It could helps a lot a Sharp in difficulties, even if with my lvl 4 I can't beat a Scrake or a FP alone. Sometimes I miss the head, and then Commando save my life @@

Upvote 0
Not if you know how to cooperate fire with teammate or learn to smart spray.

Meh, its hardly necessary. Commando's tend to either kill Scrakes alone or avoid them entirely, the smart ones anyway, the not so smart ones try and solo it and die. Personally i dislike killing Scrakes as Commando because i can't guarantee things will go well. And they tend to get left to Sharpshooters, Zerdics and Zerkers anyway.

Just played with a Commando lvl 6. On Offices, Long, Normal. We were only 2 at all the end of waves since wave 6, and with his great help we've killed Patrick. This perk isn't powerful, but it isn't bad. It could helps a lot a Sharp in difficulties, even if with my lvl 4 I can't beat a Scrake or a FP alone. Sometimes I miss the head, and then Commando save my life @@

I can only assume that Commando wasn't playing properly or he was terrible for you to think its not that powerful. On Normal a lvl6 Commando should rape absolutely everything lower than a Scrake with the SCAR (and should be able to handle those fairly easily too). The sights make headshotting everything in sight a trivial matter and the damage is high enough to make bodyshots quite effective too.

Upvote 0
Meh, its hardly necessary. Commando's tend to either kill Scrakes alone or avoid them entirely, the smart ones anyway, the not so smart ones try and solo it and die. Personally i dislike killing Scrakes as Commando because i can't guarantee things will go well. And they tend to get left to Sharpshooters, Zerdics and Zerkers anyway.
I know how to kill scrake as Commando, but only if everyone is busy killing their own thing and not one tried to help when i typed "Scrake!!".

Upvote 0
Commandos are really effective. Can almost see in darkness, can kill hordes of ZEDs with timed headshots, ZED-time extensions...
I am a more dedicated player, and while Commandos are not ultimatively powerful, they are allrounders, suitable for most situations. I do not know how many times I saved some idiot running through the high gras in the middle of a wave with my scar and seeing abilities. Commandos do not need a flashlight. They see the health of an enemy, that is usually enough to decapitate them.
As far as scrakes go, unload a tip of your Scar into their head just to make it not charge towards you, reload, finish it off if there is noone around. This costs a lot of ammo especially on suicidal, so if you have the option, get a tad of distance, notify your team, take it down.
Fleshpounds are a difficult matter, though. In later waves I mostly find myself with enough money to have a pipebomb ready to soften it up, and it saved me quite a few times. This also works well in solo. If there are other players around, it may still be better to type in "FP" and get some distance.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Commandos truly aren't useless, as many people above me have stated. I believe it's one of the most balanced perks, and actually REALLY useful...trying playing KF-Farm in windowed mode and run through the grass on Suicidal...yea...that health bar is like a freaking great night vision...and if you're obsessed like me, you've figured out at what position below the health bar the head is...so you don't have to let em get close to headshot them...yea :p Commandos rock.

Side note: if you're soloing FPs...run a slight distance away, pepper, run a slight distance away, pepper...(of course making sure to kill things behind you....then when it rages, well....run. Or get near a door when you think its gonna rage, jump in, quick weld, and then continue running. Or nade spam. Last option is the best.

Upvote 0
I know how to kill scrake as Commando, but only if everyone is busy killing their own thing and not one tried to help when i typed "Scrake!!".

The way i do it with commando: Unload AK47 to his face, till half of his health left (then he always rage), then switch to SCAR and finish him.

Easy way to kill him, but have to watch for other speciments or u will be surrounded.

If u are out of ammo, well then RUN FOR YOUR LIFE!

Reactions: EricFong
Upvote 0