• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Server Server hangs at end of trader break

waffleboy81

FNG / Fresh Meat
Jun 26, 2010
I recently got my own dedicated server up and running. Everything seems to be working fine, except that every once in a while the game will hang at the end of the trader break. The timer for the trade period will count down from 1:00 all the way to :01, and then stick at :01 for about 10 seconds or so. It's very similar to a lag spike in that during this period, my character seems unaffected (e.g., I can walk around normally), while all other players will run into walls. Once the "lag" subsides, though, all players are returned to where they were before the error.

Granted, I haven't had the server up for very long (about two days), so I have not had much time to try to recognize a pattern. However, the two times I did notice this happening were both on custom maps: KF-Boink-Beta1 (this one didn't really surprise me when it acted up) and KF-Tachikawa.

I have little troubleshooting experience, so I really don't know where to start in terms of fixing the problem. The only two ideas that come to mind are either that these maps are faulty or that my internet connection is having a hard time keeping up with the load of running a server.

Thanks for any help in advance! :)

what are the specs of your server? this kind of thing happens when the server gets pinned at 100% and can't keep up with the processing, be it from overloaded hardware or faulty maps, you can look over the ucc log for error messages. some of them have bugs that cause a ton of error looping, see kf-asylum as another known example.

as for net speed you should make sure you have at least 250 kb/s upload for 6p games.

Upvote 0
that would be cpu speed, unless your home pc is really old I doubt it would have problems, or you're playing off the same machine. in which case you might not have enough to run both at once, and it would probably be better to use a listen server. only thing I can think of that would cause the trader lag, I've never seen it happen otherwise, and my server runs on a p4 2ghz which is pretty old hardware. minimum you would need is 1ghz free, or much less on newer procs.

Upvote 0
My PC's running a Core i5, 4x2.67GHz CPU. From what you've said, that's not the problem. :p

I am playing the game on the same machine my server's running on, but, as we've said, that shouldn't cause any problems with the hardware I've got.

This issue hasn't really poked its head out any more since then (or not that I've noticed), so I'm not too worried about it. It would be nice to know what was happening, but at this point it's not particularly urgent.

Upvote 0