• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

New Perk & Char. Harry the Construction Worker

nutterbutter

Grizzled Veteran
Feb 8, 2010
Harry Blalock only wanted the best for his family. With the downturn in the economy, Harry took on small contracting jobs. When he got the call for the custom whiteboards, he would be able to pay this month's mortgage. Harry drove to the Horzine and had a weird feeling when the guard waved his pickup through the gate. Harry was unloading the last of his tools when the alarm sounded...

'0' Key: Razor blade tipped utility knife. Same damage as regular knife.

'1' Key: 9mm he picked up from some unlucky security guard

'2' Key: Custom made 4 lb. chromoly claw hammer. Two of them can be used akimbo. 20% slower than the machete but 50% more damage. Hammer can hit up to 2 targets if in range of swing. Weight is 3 each. Considering two alt attacks. One alt attack is to let the hammers slip out of the player's grip and swing them holding the lanyards. Range is extended by 2 feet. The other alt attack is the ability to throw the hammer and it carries the same damage and penetration as a hunting shotgun blast but it doesn't have the spread of a shotgun blast. Thrown hammer does double damage with a headshot. Thrown hammer can be picked back up.

'3' Key: Custom made 10 lb. sledgehammer. 30% more damage than axe but same speed. Can hit multiple targets if in range of swing. Weight is 5.

'4' Key: Combustion Nail Gun. Holds 300 nails in 6 50 nail magazines. Fires in two different ways. Regular fire is same damage as SCAR and speed as M14. If a specimen comes in contact with the nail gun, then the nail gun automatically fires two shots. The first shot has 150% damage and will penetrate to the next specimen. The second shot has SCAR damage. Weight is 6 and reload is as fast as AA12.

Construction Perk Bonuses

1: 20% more melee damage
10% more damage with nailgun
200 nails max
10% less recoil with nailgun
10% faster reload with nailgun
Thrown hammer can penetrate 2 targets
10% Construction weapon discount
2: 40% more melee damage
20% more damage with nailgun
220 nails max
15% less recoil with nailgun
15% faster reload with nailgun
Thrown hammer can penetrate 2 targets
20% Construction weapon discount
3: 60% more melee damage
30% more damage with nailgun
240 nails max
20% less recoil with nailgun
20% faster reload with nailgun
Thrown hammer can penetrate 3 targets
25% Construction weapon discount
4: 80% more melee damage
35% more damage with nailgun
260 nails max
25% less recoil with nailgun
30% faster reload with nailgun
Thrown hammer can penetrate 3 targets
30% Construction weapon discount
5: 100% more melee damage
45% more damage with nailgun
280 nails max
30% less recoil with nailgun
40% faster reload with nailgun
Thrown hammer can penetrate 4 targets
40% Construction weapon discount
6: 100% more melee damage
50% more damage with nailgun
300 nails max
40% less recoil with nailgun
50% faster reload with nailgun
Thrown hammer can penetrate 5 targets
50% Construction weapon discount

Comments?

You describe the nail gun and thrown hammer as being unrealistically powerful to a mind-numbing degree. Nails being more effective than battle rifle rounds?! A hammer penetrating through several people?!

The main problem is that this perk only has its own style, it doesn't have its own functional category, which is the purpose of perks. It's just berserker stuff, with some projectile-y stuff thrown in. If his main purpose were to create barricades or something, then it would at least make sense as being a new perk, and even then it'd be a mediocre idea at best in my opinion.

Your idea for the function of the nail gun is kinda neat, but making it in the form of a nailgun just doesn't sit right with me. That's way too much power for a pistol sized tool that isn't even intended as a weapon.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
You describe the nail gun and thrown hammer as being unrealistically powerful to a mind-numbing degree. Nails being more effective than battle rifle rounds?! A hammer penetrating through several people?!

Well, yes. A Combustion nail gun is extremely powerful and can fire a nail over 1,400 feet per second. The Hammer can penetrate multiple specimens, but he can only hold 2 at a time. If he throws both then he loses that weapon till he retrieves one or both of them. The hammer thrown is basically the same as a single shot hunty shotgun.

The main problem is that this perk only has its own style, it doesn't have its own functional category, which is the purpose of perks. It's just berserker stuff, with some projectile-y stuff thrown in. If his main purpose were to create barricades or something, then it would at least make sense as being a new perk, and even then it'd be a mediocre idea at best in my opinion.

He is mainly m

Reactions: the 1st wasted
Upvote 0
are you serious? The character bio is at least mediocre considering the resemblances with foundry worker alridge. The perk is just dumb, I agree with azukki you are thinking of the character's tools rather than an own specific role. It's just a weird mix up between berseker, commando and maybe support because of the penetration (really? penetration with a hammer? WTF?). The nailgun sounds neat at least, although there's no real gameplay reason why it should be implemented. And a different knife with the same properties? What's the point?

Upvote 0
I really do not feel like this is a suitable class/character, for many reasons already stated. Too unique and the weapons are somewhat OP considering what they are.

As for a new class, I REALLY think that maybe a new class called "Brute" where maybe you were just an extremely heavy-hitting Berserker would be awesome.

These are only rough ideas made off the top of my head, but I'm thinking very slow swing speeds with large, blunt weapons doing maybe about 3x what Berserker weapons do, maybe half the run bonus that Berserker's have. The main problem with this class is that it may be nearly entirely useless for trash. Unless you made Brute weapons and Berserker weapon bonuses apply to each, so a Brute could carry around a katana for trash (with only the Brute perk bonuses applying), and whip out a sledgehammer or something for a fleshpound. I don't really picture this becoming a real class, but it's a cool idea at the very least. :p

Upvote 0