• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

A whole new concept for the flaregun

human_gs

Grizzled Veteran
Jun 14, 2010
I know ppl are supposed to reply to threads rather than starting a whole new one on the same subject, but since this blog has no admin to delete all the useless crap, old threads get quickly buried under the usual lame "comic" suggestions or the repost of threads too similar to others.

So I started this one hopefully trying to get over with this flare gun thing once and for all. There are already some models of this gun and even it has been programmed into a mod. But this weapon is very far from being implemented on the game, since it has no real use yet. People have thought of it as a long range grenade launcher to.... spread fire (who would have guessed?). That's right they want TWI to basically add a weapon with the same use as the flame-thrower but with longer range. There's a problem, that weapon already ****ing exists. As you may or may not already know, lvl3+ firebug's grenades explode in a blast of fire burning ZED just like the FT. So making a sorta fire grenade launcher is already out of the question, it would just allow the user to throw further and carry more of this already existing fire grenades being mostly useless (not to mention retarded since flares are not really explosives, they merely burn to emit enough light to transmit signals).
The only acceptable way of adding a flare gun would be if instead of just spreading fire, it would focus a little more on single medium specimens. Now I know this would kinda go against the nature of the firebug, which is suposed to be purely crowd control, but then again, it wouldn't be that useful against say fleshpounds and let's be realistic, perk balancing is **** since they turned the sharpshooter into a ****ing GOD and our beloved berseker into crap.

Now I'm not talking about a god-like weapon like xbow that can't take out anything in the right hands, no, the flare gun should only be a lightweight secondary weapon to assist the firebug against those some annoying ZEDs It should be like the m79 in therms of loading but shaped more like a revolver (not arguing with the models for the gun proposed). The projectile should travel in a similar way than the grenades of the m79, except maybe they shouldn't arc that much due to lighter weight. Instead of exploding, which would kinda enter the demo speciality (even if it involves fire) the flare should only burn in a red flame like a regular flare. However on impact the flare would partially pierce the ZED, remaining attached to it and both burning it from the inside and setting the whole ZED on fire. The flare gun should, besides some initial kinetic damage, deliver some proper damage over time, maybe twice as much as the FT's Dmg over time or even more, and burn for longer (I was thinking it should last until the ZED drops but that would be too much against the pat). More importantly shooting a second flare into a target should magnify the damage over time, although not doubling it (extra flares' damage over time should drop exponentially). This way, the firebug could finally get more equipment and attack some specimens, like the siren, bloat, husk and scrake, more effectively. The weapon should be balanced so it's not able to solo FP, but it should however help when the whole team is blasting it from afar. Also it would be useful to lay some rounds on a scrake before it starts charging, so it's then easier to kill it with the FT.

The gun shouldn't be very expensive (tier 2 i'm thinking) but the ammo should so you don't just spam it. Also make the ammo rather limited, for the same purpose.

IMPORTANT: this weapon should't change the gameplay as much as the new tier 3 ones, but rather add some awesomeness to the firebug and hopefully make it a little more balanced.

Well... a very radical concept:

When a projectile hits the target it gets stuck in it's intestines, dealing very minor damage. However, after 3 seconds it explodes violently, gibbing the zed and setting nearby specimen on fire. Works on clots, crawlers, stalkers, gorefasts. Maybe on bloats and sirens on lower difficulty levels.

When projectile hits scrake, fleshpound etc. it does not kill them upon the explosion, just deals damage similar to one hand grenade. If that amount of damage is fatal though, the specimen explodes (spewing fire on nearby mobs). Of course, husks are pretty much immune to fire, so that internal combustion does a lot less damage to them.

Projectiles could also stick to any surface and after 3 seconds explode like regular fire grenades - maybe with lesser radius and damage.

One-shot weapon, reload time just a little faster than a crossbow. 4 blocks of space, ammo: 20-30. Cost: about 400 quid. No discount.

Upvote 0
Well... a very radical concept:

When a projectile hits the target it gets stuck in it's intestines, dealing very minor damage. However, after 3 seconds it explodes violently, gibbing the zed and setting nearby specimen on fire. Works on clots, crawlers, stalkers, gorefasts. Maybe on bloats and sirens on lower difficulty levels.

When projectile hits scrake, fleshpound etc. it does not kill them upon the explosion, just deals damage similar to one hand grenade. If that amount of damage is fatal though, the specimen explodes (spewing fire on nearby mobs). Of course, husks are pretty much immune to fire, so that internal combustion does a lot less damage to them.

Projectiles could also stick to any surface and after 3 seconds explode like regular fire grenades - maybe with lesser radius and damage.

One-shot weapon, reload time just a little faster than a crossbow. 4 blocks of space, ammo: 20-30. Cost: about 400 quid. No discount.

Thanks for the reply, even if it brutally butchers my idea to make a far fetched, non original, overall dumb idea.
I'm gonna do it quick and painless:
1) I was talking about some new firebug equipment to make it more balanced, you're clearly talking about a demo weapon as it mostly damages through an explosion.
2)Your description pretty much resembles the already in the game m79, with the only change that the grenade first penetrates the target and explodes after 3 sec. But why? why would the weapon explode in three seconds? what would be the point for weapon developers to add some useless delay that only increases the chance of the ZED mauling you or getting close enough to kill you with your own grenade??!! The idea an intentionally flawed weapon doesn't really get along with the survival aspect of the game.
3)The only valid aspect of your suggestion is that such projectile would penetrate the ZED before explosion to maximize the damage to that specific target, an aspect the demo could really use. Then again, that is what LAW (in real life) is supposed to be: A projectile that, as opposed to the regular grenade, doesn't simply explode on contact, but also penetrates the armour and focuses the explosion on that direction.
I think that should do it....
So the LAW should be buffed but that's material for another thread.

Upvote 0
I was talking about some new firebug equipment to make it more balanced, you're clearly talking about a demo weapon as it mostly damages through an explosion.

My mistake, I didn't make this clear enough. What I meant is: explosive damage is limited ONLY to the zed pierced by projectile. When he explodes, nearby specimen do not take any explosive damage - they only catch fire.

Your description pretty much resembles the already in the game m79, with the only change that the grenade first penetrates the target and explodes after 3 sec. But why? why would the weapon explode in three seconds? what would be the point for weapon developers to add some useless delay that only increases the chance of the ZED mauling you or getting close enough to kill you with your own grenade??!! The idea an intentionally flawed weapon doesn't really get along with the survival aspect of the game.

You call it intentional flaw, I call it tactical challenge. Think of it as a tool for placing little fire traps in all weird places like walls, floor and even ceiling, useful for example when zeds are approaching from around the corner. Also, 3 second delay for a projectile stuck to a surface is only one possibility. It could even last 10 or more seconds and explode upon zeds stumbling on it. For example, you could shoot at the ground while you run from zeds and leave them nasty surprises. Or make a fiery choke-point in one corridor. And once more - explosive damage is minimal just as with fire grenades. It's the flame that does all the work.

At very last, provided that the weapon had 3 or more round magazine it could be used to stuff single target with projectiles, maximizing the damage to single big zed - something useful in the area that firebug shamefully lacks.

Upvote 0
I'd like to turn this around a little further.
As I know, a flare burns very hot and very bright. So it could basically stick to one enemy, ingniting it over a course of like 10 seconds, but only dealing very light damage to ZEDs around said target.

I think it should do very little impact damage, like 25 or so, but do around 500 to 1000 damage (depending on perk level; - resistances) to a ZED, while only giving 50 to 100 damage points to bystanding mobs. Well maybe enlarge damage so Clots could fall for its damage, but it would basically be a one-man stopper. This would be very nice for two things:
a) not being able to Solo FPs
b) still very useful for crowd control, since the damage given over time is too low for enraging the FP.

About cost effectiveness: I think a shot should cost 25 pounds -perk bonusses, and the weapon itself would be set to 500 pounds.

Upvote 0
I'd prefer if you didn't talk about realism in KF. Ever.
I believe I don't have to explain that point but I will anyways: The crossbow, a weapon that in real life ppl stopped using because it's lack of penetration compared even to the early muskets, in Kf can go through and INFINITE amount of enemies' skulls without ever stopping, losing power, and ability not even give to .50 cal rounds. Not to mention the bolts travels in straight line and faster than shotgun pellets, basically turning them into a ****ing laser beam. And don't even get me into the effectiveness of the LAW, a weapon designed to ****ing go through tanks, but not being able to substantially damage the scrake's skin, even with a direct impact. So if anything, you should try to refute my idea through two possible aspects: It's either too far fetched or it wouldn't fit properly into the gameplay. As for the gameplay, like I said it wouldn't change it that much but it would be far from useless, as it would let the firebug assist, NOT KILLING SOLO, in the elimination of stronger ZEDs from afar. And I don't think it's too far fetched either, taking also in account a simple recreative hunting shogun was turn into a very effective combat weapon.

Upvote 0
The law is simply not powerful enough, hopefully TWI will make it more powerfulll with the next update. Also, do you know how powerful crossbows are these days?

Back on topic, a flare-gun would be the worst thing to implement in KF because no one will use it. If the 9mm can outrun the flare-gun, i dont think anyone will use it.

9mm: 15 bullets, doesnt make a lot of damage, can shoot pretty fast, quick reload

flare-gun: 1 flare, could make more damage than the 9mm, can only shoot once, quick reload.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
and thus be completely useless in some maps.
Yeah, totally.

And people get mad at me when I'm dismissive...

I'm assuming you're talking about daytime maps, in which case you can shoot it up into the air to let people know where you are, or drop a flare indoors, which is usually dark.

But you must've thought of that already, considering how obviously imaginative you are.

Upvote 0