• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Level Design Untitled Medieval Map

Murphy

Grizzled Veteran
Nov 22, 2005
liandri.darkbb.com
EDIT:
EDIT: Go here for the beta release thread!
/EDIT

Hi,
I recently started modeling some objects for my upcoming medieval map. We don't have a shortage of castle maps but one more can't hurt, I think. :D
As of now I only have a collection of models ready and I haven't started working on the layout yet so I won't post in the Beta section yet.

Almost all of the models aren't modeled specifically for use in my level (how could they when I haven't started it yet), but are multi-purpose medieval models. E.g. gateways, window-arches, decorative posts for railings, a lionhead with a ring in its mouth,... stuff like that.
As usual the models will be made available to the community (i.e you can download the map when it's released and you are free to use the models in your own maps then). With the medieval theme being as popular as it is, I think the pack might help some new mappers out a bit, who don't want to bother making their own StaticMeshes and would rather pick from an assortment of ready-made models. The Tripwire packages are a little low on medieval looking content so I hope a little expansion of our model pool in this direction will be welcome.

Here come the screenshots:

arc3.jpg

arc4.jpg

arc5.jpg

arc6.jpg

arc7.jpg

door1.jpg

Keep in mind that these aren't necessarily final yet. They pretty much are as far as the models go, but it's very likely that I'll have to give the textures certain tints later on to make them fit my map's color scheme better! The textures are from cgtextures.com. I can't recommend the site enough.

Last edited:
Just curious, would raw models ,meaning meshes done in a 3D rendering program, without any textures, which have never seen the UT Editor from the inside, be of use to anyone?

I would like to model stuff again, but have no idea of what would be needed to get anything ingame.
Would anyone actually be interested in such models or is the modelling just the easiest part anyway and noone needs stuff this basic?

Hope I got across what I wanted to say:
I could give it a shot making models
but dunno how to rig, texture, code, etc.
is that of use to anyone?

Edit: Damn, just forgot: Awesome stuff! ^^

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Static models to use in levels don't need to be rigged or coded. Having textures UV mapped to them is definitely a plus though.
The thing about untextured models is that you can't texture them properly in UnrealEd (you can assign textures for materials, but you can't wrap them or nothing) so the only people who could use them are those who can open them in a modeling program and wrap textures around them, and those are the people who could just make the models on their own. So you should supply textured, ready-to-use models, if you can and want to.

Here is all you need to know about importing textures. If you supply the textures you wrapped around your models people can import them first and then the model and if the name of the texture is kept the same as the name of the material on the model UnrealEd will automatically apply it.

It's all fairly simple. It's probably even better if you do this for the people so they can just take the working StaticMeshes. Those who know how to import models can usually make them themselves. The demographic you want to target are those who would rather scavenge packages for stuff they can use than make it on their own.

I think the best way is to make a map, import the textures and models into the myLevel package (just read the link above). That way people can just open the map and copy+paste the models from there to their own levels.

What modeling program are you using?
Here you'll find the so-called ActorX plug-in for XSI, Maya and Max. If you're using Milkshape just export as lightwave 6.5. I don't know about other programs but I'm sure someone here can help you out.

Upvote 0
I use Maxxon's Cinema4D, Release10.
Is suppose I'll give the texturing thing a shot, try to think of something some mapper might want to use and open a thread if it worked out.^^

Sry for hijacking your post once again, but should the models be triangles or four-pointed polygons? If it doesnt matter, will mixing of the 2 screw up lighting or something?

Thx for the quick help!

Upvote 0
They'll all be yours for the taking soon!

Here are some WIP shots. It looks much better in motion due to the moving clouds, the moving cloud shadow (does a lot, imo) and the weather effects, which has raindrops and little flying grass pieces, the rapidly moving grass on the ground and the moving bushes, plus the shine effect on the textures outside only really comes out when you move around.
I'm currently dabbling with rainy looking steam cloud thingies in addition to the raindrops to add more visual chaos but so far I couldn't get them to look right.

Shot00016-1.jpg

Shot00015.jpg

Shot00014-1.jpg

Shot00011-1.jpg

Shot00010-1.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Very nice. Somewhat renaissance, I'd say. Sets a visually very high standard. I might comment that the houses look a bit smallish, but that might just be the pictures; however you would not care to build two-story buildings unless they where build against one another in most medieval settings.

Still, I look very much forward to see the map. The large building with the balcony in picture three gives a very good impression of a rich house, as well as the colonnade in picture one.

Upvote 0
Lookin real good Murphy, I always dig your maps. Love the models you made and the textures fit really well. Did you model using the textures as reference or just fit them in later? I find it hard to use pre made textures, Id rather bake a norm and AO and paint from that but youve done really well here.

Upvote 0