• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Best singleplayer games?

Dynasty Warriors 4 and 6.
two Assassin's creeds
Mass Effect 1 & 2
Dragon Age
Fallout 3
Batman Arkham Asylum
STALKER

All good games. A little more guidance on what you like/what you're looking for could help narrow things down. I'd add:

Sniper Elite
Devil May Cry 4
Ghost Master
Dungeon Keeper 2
Evil Genius
Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines

I could go on...but I'd rather give you some pointed recommendations than list my rolodex of **** I like.

Upvote 0
vampire bloodlines was pretty awesome but buggy

A guy has been unofficially patching the game since release. That's like, 4 years worth of patching. With his work, the game is almost totally bug free, many animations are fixed, some dialog was recovered, textures were improved and A LOT of lost art assets that didn't make the final release were found and restored.

If you haven't revisited the game with his patches, you really should.

Upvote 0
A guy has been unofficially patching the game since release. That's like, 4 years worth of patching. With his work, the game is almost totally bug free, many animations are fixed, some dialog was recovered, textures were improved and A LOT of lost art assets that didn't make the final release were found and restored.

If you haven't revisited the game with his patches, you really should.

Link please :)?

As far as what I'm looking for, I dunno I enjoy most genres, except puzzle games which I don't really get. I like games with a really solid story/mood/world. Ironically, most of those for me have been non-RPGs :p. Usually I don't enjoy RPGs, because it always feels like a repetitive grind with ****ty combat (compared to FPSes), but if I came across one with a super engaging story (beyond the whole SAVE THE UNIVERSE typical bs) then I'd be up for it. I guess if I came across an RPG that felt like a really good adventure novel I'd be all over it. In general though, I find games where you aren't making the choices suck me in far more than one where I can have a bunch of bland dialog options.

An example would be Dungeon Keeper 2 I guess. The story isn't amazing, but the world and the narrator IS, and it definitely had me totally absorbed until the finish. Thief series is another example, ****ing epic all the way. I felt so much more immersed in that world than any RPG even though I wasn't having clever conversations with guards (lol).

I think I'll have to go pick up a copy of Deus Ex. I never did play that one.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
the best single player experiences i've had are system shock 2/deus ex/thief1+2 if you can live with 10 year old visuals youl get a lot out of any of them.
you'll have to pay a few quid for a 2nd hand copy of system shock.
If you like things a bit prettier i'd recommend Bioshock dispite not getting round to playing it yet - but it's apparently cut from the same cloth.

vietcong as well, of course.

F.E.A.R is indeed good, if you romp through it quickly on a low level as to not get bogged down with it.
There was also another game a bit like it where instead of shooting you bashed the crap outta loadsa people with various objects if anyone remembers the name of that.

best say the kinda thing you like and ppl will suggest the best examples out there.

Upvote 0
Dreamfall: The Longest Journey

It's a third-person adventure game about 15 hours long. I found it to be very interesting setting and story-wise, and it's also accompanied by a great musical score (I'll post it in the game music thread). The actual gameplay isn't varied but I feel that it's not the focus of the game. While it's also the sequel to the original adventure game "The Longest Journey", I played Dreamfall first and was never lost or confused. You also don't have to be very proficient at adventure games, it's pretty easy to pick up.

Upvote 0
Vampire the Bloodlines Masquerade was an amazing game and despite being fairly linear (you've still got some choices that change outcomes of the game) had some great replayability. However, my issue came up when I upgraded my computer and couldn't run it. Do you think the patch works with steam, and if so, would it likely cure my problem?

Upvote 0
Vampire the Bloodlines Masquerade was an amazing game and despite being fairly linear (you've still got some choices that change outcomes of the game) had some great replayability. However, my issue came up when I upgraded my computer and couldn't run it. Do you think the patch works with steam, and if so, would it likely cure my problem?

It should, i had the same problem after an upgrade, or a similar one, the game would refuse to start basically, it seemed to stop dead in it's tracks when it was trying to load the main menu, and i'd have to Ctrl+Alt+Del to terminate it.

But the unofficial patch fixed it, i have an older version of it installed (1.4 i belive), and it's working just fine, and the game never got any steam integration (the only thing done to the steam version is changing the main .exe to check if steam is there or not), so i can't imagine there's going to be any troubles there either, it should work.

Upvote 0
In terms of quality and quantity vs bucks, i'd say go for Dragon Age: Origins.
I got it somewhere for 20 bucks, and spent easily over 80 hours on the campaign, and i havent even taken on too many sidequests.
Take in note though that it isnt even an open world RPG in the strict sense of the word, and note again that the game took me 80 hours to complete in a pretty much linear fashion. Thats a lot of content.
And good content too, i absolutely loved it.

Upvote 0
In terms of quality and quantity vs bucks, i'd say go for Dragon Age: Origins.

I didn't like DA at all. It was too long, story felt like I was reading Lord Of the Rings all over again and still it felt like I didn't really play the game at all(unforgattable experience). Too much fighting, constant battles that I didn't really enjoy. Might be because I just had finished Mass Effect and The Witcher before that, but I don't know...

I would recommend: The Witcher, all of the STALKERS with complete mods(even clear sky...it had its moments), Mirrors Edge(watch out for sales, this one cost me 5$ at D2D about a year ago), Dead Space(same thing as Mirrors), Devil May Cry 4(if you have controller) and Mass Effects.

Upvote 0