• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Wouldn't soldiers put down kettles before going into battle?

Not if it's a food fight:D

But seriously, you could say the same thing about their rucksacks. Maybe in some battles (planned), they do discard these. Since there is a weight system, I wonder if it makes a difference. Would players all drop their rucksacks if they can to get a weight/speed advantage?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Well?

Seems like it would be unneccesary weight / noise give away.

Not a history buff so would like to know if this is actually realistic.

I know they had kettles, but would they carry them into battle?

War is all about non-optimal conditions and exploiting the weakness of the enemy.

I can't speak for Russia but even today we at least carried stuff around most of the time, only time you didn't have packing etc was when you setup a perimeter or camp, if you're on the move(not patrol/guarding) you have all the packing or necessary stuff with you.

It might not be optimal, but so is never war itself.

Upvote 0
It would make sense for soldiers to leave their extraneous equipment back at base camp, but only for something like a planned patrol or a dug in defense. In most of the other situations I can think of, it'd be more likely or make more sense for the soldiers to be carrying everything with them.

In any sort of unexpected attack, the defenders aren't going to take the time to take off all their stuff and put it down, they are going to run into cover and hopefully start repelling the attack.

Attackers are going to want to have their stuff with them too. If they succeed in taking whatever it is they are trying to capture, they are going to want to be able to defend it as well. While a kettle and rations etc don't make the best defensive weapons, a soldier who is fed is more able to fight than one who is hungry. Otherwise the victorious attackers would either have to wait for resupply or they would have to eventually run back to their home base to gather their things. Not a very efficient use of soldiers' time if you have them always running back to base instead of staying put and holding their position.

Only for a patrol of a dug-in defense could a soldier reasonably expect to be able to come back and gather his things.

Now think about the Battle of Stalingrad. There was an awful lot of house to house fighting, with some buildings changing hands multiple times a day. The soldiers fighting there would quickly learn (if they survived more than a day) that the opportunity to advance or the need to retreat might come at any moment, so they would want to be ready to move "camp" at a moment's notice.

The idea of giving a soldier all this gear is to allow him to be somewhat self-sufficient, in case he is cut off from resupply for an extended period of time. If the armies didn't think their soldiers didn't need to have something on themselves at all times they wouldn't have issued it to them.

Now maybe I'm completely wrong and Alan will come in here and tell me I'm an idiot, but it makes a lot of sense to me.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Wouldn't soldiers put down kettles before going into battle?

Wrong!, soldiers should not only carry their kettles, but they are supposed to pick up and carry with them all kettles they can find in their way.

Soldiers who carried loads of Kettles were considered real heroes, and the enemy panics as soon as they hear them coming

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The kettle wouldn't even rattle that much by its own presuming you tight it up correctly and it doesn't take contact from other objects. Even the german mess kit can make enornomous rattle if it takes contact from something else. Solution? Just put the strap as tight as possible. Odds for unnecessary contact only occurs during mantling, occasionally low crawling or some other more physically demanding moves.

But then comes the question under battlefield conditions that how much of disadvatange a rattle is? If you were sneaking on a patrol or recon duty then it's quite obvious, but there weren't ear protection around - almost every soldier would have their ears ringing sooner or later. Taking into account some other interesting stuff that can affect how it sounds you would need to be pretty close in order for the enemy to be alerted by the rattle under regular firefight or battlefield conditions.

Upvote 0
Wrong!, soldiers should not only carry their kettles, but they are supposed to pick up and carry with them all kettles they can find in their way.

Soldiers who carried loads of Kettles were considered real heroes, and the enemy panics as soon as they hear them coming
LOL

I remember reading this somewhere in an article on the Eastern front as well you must have read it too. Great read amirite? :D

Upvote 0
You guys have done it now:
kettlegrad.jpg

made me lol :D

Upvote 0
I know that that's the US-style canteen cup, but didn't every Russian and German soldier carry one of those as well? To me it seems standard and necessary equipment, every man should carry one.

Germans tended to occasionally store the cup somewhere else AFAIK. Part of the reason is pretty pragmatic as removing the strap, cup and finally opening the canteen takes too long in some occasions compared to simply opening the strap and the canteen.

But as noted, it really depends on some other circumstances. If it's some sort of raid, pre-planned assault (for the initial units), patrol or so having too much stuff is bit counterproductive, while if it's something major carrying extra wouldn't really hurt. Of course it's partly terrain related aswell, when you're fighting on an urban enviroment it's mostly about carrying only the very essential (basic combat gear, maybe E-tool, mess kit and such) and preferably alot of ammunition :p

Upvote 0

Those "cups" look almost exactly like what the finnish defence forces use these days :|
Ugh, reminds me of one cold winter week when I didn't get to wash it.... for seven days. Thank god it was winter though, the porridge that stuck to it didn't get that bad :D

Upvote 0