• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

[Game] Shogun 2: Total War

It's fine with me. I liked the original Shogun the best out of the whole Total War series:

- style and period are rare in strategy games
- less agents
- small map, meaning you only had a few provinces so you can focus on the battles
- less but very well balanced troops instead of the redundancy that start with Medieval

Of course I totally expect they will change most of that, so it will be more like the latest TW games. Still, I didn't hope for a WW2 game.

Upvote 0
And I haven't even completed one campaign of Napoleon (I got it on release) because i didn't find time or hurry

So, nope, not looking forward to this, yet.

Also never played the first Shogun.

But by the time I complete Napoleon and the Lord of the Rings mod for Medieval 2, this one will be in a 10€ sale or something =P

IMO, they should have gone, either WW1 or a fantasy setting.

Upvote 0
Bahh, blasphomy Fedorov.

Well, not having played the first shogun, without a gameplay video or feature list, and feeling like they are releasing a new game each year or two, is it surprising that I'm not really looking forward to it?

Still, if it proves to be good, I'll most likely get it, but in one of those cheap offers, to save some caps (already spent too much on Total Wars, and they just keep coming like zeds in suicidal)

Upvote 0
I think he's being sarcastic. CA promised way better AI in Empire than MTW2 and RTW and failed to deliver epicly.

I'm not holding my breath for this title. It's a shame, everything else about the game is awesome, but the AI blows.

And ya WW1 and DEFINITELY not WW2 would not work in Total War. The most modern I could see it going is American Civil War and possibly Franco-Prussian War.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I read the IGN preview and it completely turned me off.
Most experienced TW players (including me) complained about the lack of scale that Napoleon had compared to Empire, while we all loved the stability etc af Napoleon.
However Napoleon felt too limited because of the reduced scale, and the italian and egypt campaign leave very little space for player input, there simply werent a lot of options compared to Empire.
If Napoleon had everything it has now + Empire's scale it would be ****ing fantastic, though obviously AI isnt perfect but it never will be, so i wouldnt hold my breath for that.

Now comes Shogun 2, which further reduces the scale and further puts the player in a straight path.
I guess after all these years i guess they still cant figure out most people like 'skirmish' mode the best in most RTS games, and not the limiting campaign missions.

And on top of that, they now add Hero units. According to the IGN preview, these are single extremely powerful units capable of holding off entire armies at bridges, or charge straight through enemy lines to reach the enemy general.
Makes it look like a cheap Korean grinder MMO to me.

In conclusion, i am not looking forward to this. at. all.
Even though i've played and own every TW game so far.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Most experienced TW players (including me) complained about the lack of scale that Napoleon had compared to Empire, while we all loved the stability etc af Napoleon.
However Napoleon felt too limited because of the reduced scale, and the italian and egypt campaign leave very little space for player input, there simply werent a lot of options compared to Empire.

This

Napoleon looks much more polished, but I still prefer Empire for the same reasons. It just feels huge, while Napoleon is the opposite

Upvote 0
whats so wrong about lvling your units? its already in empire,mtw2 etc

[url]http://ve3d.ign.com/articles/news/55055/Official-Shogun-2-Total-War-Fact-Sheet-Leaks-Out[/URL]

I wasnt talking about leveling units. Leveling units are perfectly fine.
What i am talking about are special hero units that slaughter armies singlehandedly.
Like 'ubersamurai' slaughtering 300 guys at once type style of bull****.
A single unit being able to dash through the frontlines and kill a general.
That's what the IGN preview says at least.

Upvote 0
I wasnt talking about leveling units. Leveling units are perfectly fine.
What i am talking about are special hero units that slaughter armies singlehandedly.
Like 'ubersamurai' slaughtering 300 guys at once type style of bull****.
A single unit being able to dash through the frontlines and kill a general.
That's what the IGN preview says at least.

could you post the link pls
cant find it on ign

Upvote 0
They had those in the original, after the Mongol Invasion expansion. Normally when one of your men distinguished himself in several battles and had a high honour rating, he'd become a kensei or kengou, and you could construct a swordsmanship school. This allowed that province to produce no-dachi samurai who were basically super duper shock-troops. In the expansion pack however, you could recruit kensei as an actual unit, and their performance was ludicrously idealized.

Upvote 0