• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

metro 2033

It's definately a very flawed game, and aside from it's graphics, which are obviously aimed at the latest DX11 hardware, it really feels like a console port, but still, i'd recommend it, because despite all it's flaws, it certainly is unique, it has so much atmosphere, and a great sense of immersion, it is absolutely worth a playthough.

But nobody would hold it against you if you waited for the price to drop or a Steam sale..

Upvote 0
Just finished the game. I have to say the further I got within the game the more I started to become annoyed. The general lack of ammunition is just annoying and doesn't add anything to the atmosphere. When I kill 5 enemies who are fully armed and I pick up all their guns/magazines, I expect to get more than 10 Bullets. Or do they all run around with 1/30-empty magazines? Weapons feel rather wake over the time, later weapons like the VSS however are really fun to use. Stealth elements however barely worked in my experience which is rather sad.

So in conclusion this game really lives from it's atmosphere, the graphics and the story. Those three points however are really strong and combined with the nice ending it makes up for some gameplay shortcomings.

Upvote 0
Just finished the game. I have to say the further I got within the game the more I started to become annoyed. The general lack of ammunition is just annoying and doesn't add anything to the atmosphere. When I kill 5 enemies who are fully armed and I pick up all their guns/magazines, I expect to get more than 10 Bullets. Or do they all run around with 1/30-empty magazines? Weapons feel rather wake over the time, later weapons like the VSS however are really fun to use. Stealth elements however barely worked in my experience which is rather sad.

So in conclusion this game really lives from it's atmosphere, the graphics and the story. Those three points however are really strong and combined with the nice ending it makes up for some gameplay shortcomings.
That really pissed me off too, you kill someone without them even getting a shot off and their weapon only has 2 bullets in the magazine. You'd think they could have at least randomized it a bit but it always seems to be be 2 rounds in the gun and 1 in most bandoleers you find on the body. That is in hardcore btw.

Also is there any damn way to change your filters manually? I know you can take your mask off and on but that doesn't seem to change the filter. I actually got killed when my character decided to change his filter as I was in the middle of CQB with a mob of mutants.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Yeah, you tap the G button to change filter, and hold it down to take the mask on or off, go go gadget console controls!

But i really think this is a game that should not be played on the hardest difficulty, as some of the things they made harder, like getting ammo and filters, are just annoying, not difficult, you're better off playing it on Normal.

Also, never, ever use the auto-shotgun, it's the worst weapon in the game, stick with the double-barrel, and trade that to a pneumatic rifle first chance you get (don't get the spearguns either, they work, but there's bugger all any ammo for them, and running around retriving your spears gets really old).

Shotgun shells are probably the most common ammo you'll come across, but the shotguns are just hopeless to use, so considder them as currency instead, take all you find, and the next time you come to an ammo exchange, sell the shotgun shells and buy ballbearings instead, thats the way to go.

Upvote 0
I'm loving the game so far. I think some of you are overtly negative. Criticizing the game for its linearity? That's pretty stupid, it's a design choice. They're telling a good story so of course it's quite linear. Just because they opted for the linear way to do it doesn't mean that it makes the game worse. Some of the best games I've played were linear as hell. That shouldn't be viewed as a negative thing.

I've only skimmed over the messages because I don't want to ruin my experience with the game. :D So far, I think it's a very good game. One thing that I don't like is that you can't use the iron sights on the shotguns, and I have the crosshairs disabled. That makes aiming a bit difficult sometimes.

EDIT:

Yeah, you tap the G button to change filter, and hold it down to take the mask on or off, go go gadget console controls!

See, this is what I'm talking about. :) How the hell is that "console controls"? Why would you make things more complicated by using more keyboard keys when it's much easier to assign two actions to one key? It works fine for me.

No offense Grobut, I know that console ports are a big problem in today's PC gaming, but I have seen no signs so far that this game is a console port.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I also like it so far, the story, gfx, and atmosphere is great, as others have said. The first russian game I've played who's got decent voiceovers. A bit annoyed at the extreme linearity, sometimes I want to explore a bit more before rushing ahead - at least the NPCs wait for you...

And I'm annoyed at how the game feels the need to throw level "bosses" at you at important points, like you hardly see any mutants the entire level and then they rush like 10-15 of them at once before you are safe inside a station.

Funny how the most-read book in the post-apocalyptic underground is one called "Metro 2033", seems everyone's got one lying around :D

Upvote 0
I'm loving the game so far. I think some of you are overtly negative.

As said, you'll start noticing the flaws the more you play, and there are a fair few of them, but since i might spoil something for you, i wont go into details about it, you'll see.

On the whole i think it's a game worth playing, infact i'd recommend it and i'm on my second playthough right now, but it certainly also has it's problems, and people deserve to be told that so they don't get overhyped about the game, nothing kills a game more than beeing overhyped and finding it falls short of that hype.

See, this is what I'm talking about. :) How the hell is that "console controls"? Why would you make things more complicated by using more keyboard keys when it's much easier to assign two actions to one key? It works fine for me.

No offense Grobut, I know that console ports are a big problem in today's PC gaming, but I have seen no signs so far that this game is a console port.

The dual function thing (which does work, but can get annoying at times when you get the wrong function by accident) is the least of it, there's also a lack of controls (why is there no lean? this game could really use leaning! but there's not enough buttons on a gamepad so there is none), lack of customization for graphics (again, this game could really use some advanced video options), no save/load function, everything is handled by checkpoints, and you can't even load a specific checkpoint, they get overwritten by the current one like in most console games (saves HDD space, which is an issue on consoles but not for us), if you have an Xbox controller plugged in it will overwrite the keyboard (and it only supports Xbox controllers, which is stupid, there are many other good controllers for the PC, what's wrong with supporting thouse like any good PC game should?), and the worst of all, the FOV, a FOV of 45 is not conducive to good PC gaming, Consoles need it because most of its gamers sit much farther away from their screen, but we don't on a PC, and this is a game where mutants are constantly biting at your ancles, so you really could use the extra periphial vision of a wider FOV (this run-on sentance brought to you by Coffee! buy more Coffee!).

So no, it's not exactly a shining example of how games should be made for the PC.. thankfully though, atleast we can edit .cfg files on a PC!

Upvote 0
When I criticized the linearity Nimsky I was meaning it more along the same lines as Grobut. I understand it's a design choice, but there are moments where the game pushes you along when you want to have a bit of a poke about, when you get to 'curse' is a perfect example.

Thanks for the info about the filters this makes life much easier, having the steam version I couldn't find this info anywhere.

Also do you guys wonder why killing someone by throwing or stabbing them with the throwing knife (yes you can stab with the throwing knives secondary fire) kills an enemy silently. Yet if you use your regular knife, even if you get a clean head swing and instant kill, it treats it like a gun shot and alerts everyone?

Upvote 0
The first russian game I've played who's got decent voiceovers.

You ain't saying that the voiceovers in SOC aren't decent, are you?

"What are you, deaf? What are you here?"
"Get out of here stalker"
"I said come in, don't just stand there!"
"Marked One, WHAT THE HELL???"
"My information might well be of use to you stalker..."

Oh, I see... By decent, you mean "serious"... :p

Upvote 0
When I criticized the linearity Nimsky I was meaning it more along the same lines as Grobut. I understand it's a design choice, but there are moments where the game pushes you along when you want to have a bit of a poke about, when you get to 'curse' is a perfect example.

Yeah that's an issue every time you're not alone, the game really forces the need to scavenge all the ammo and items you can find, and it's scattered about in many semi-hidden places, which is good, only your AI companions have nothing but disdain for your desire to stay alive, and will charge onwards at a relentless pace.

Now granted, they have provided a few places where the AI will stop and wait for you, only there's to few of them, and if you let them run ahead, they might run into a scripted mutant attack and die, or they will deliver some scripted dialog you needed to hear when they get to one of the stop points, only you wont hear it because you are trying to loot corpses and traincars so you have enough ammo to survive the next fight aswell.. and if you just follow them, they wont stop, and you wont get any ammo.

This creates a really annoying mechanic whenever you have a buddy with you, as you have to run ahead and not only kill anything in their path so they don't die, but also try to search everything for loot before they run off ahead and get themselves killed or make a mess of the story by telling you importrant things you arent there to hear.

Also do you guys wonder why killing someone by throwing or stabbing them with the throwing knife (yes you can stab with the throwing knives secondary fire) kills an enemy silently. Yet if you use your regular knife, even if you get a clean head swing and instant kill, it treats it like a gun shot and alerts everyone?

Yeah that's an odd one, but i'm also not fond of how only a clean headshot seems to count as a stealth kill, all that should matter is that he died before he could yell out to his buddies or fire his gun, but often, if he doesen't die in one shot, then sound or not, all his buddies will somehow have heard it and go into alert mode.

This is why stealth really doesen't work in this game, you can't lean so that makes it hard to make a sneaky kill, and you have to get it right for every enemy, only, even the best guns lack power and accuracy, and sometimes the enemy wears helmets that will shatter instead of you getting the kill (and other times they die and the helmet doesen't shatter, i think it may be random).

I can nitpick the hell out of this game, there's lots of small but very dumb design choices in there, but you know, the only reason i care about them is that the game is really good overall, it's the whole "the clouser you come to perfection, the more glaring any error seems" thing.

Upvote 0
Not really impressed with this game...

feels like one of those 'great graphics, crap gameplay' games to me.

Its a good idea and stuff and has nice attention to detail and it is nicely atmospheric, but its just not that fun, it feels like a chore to play seeing as your just trudging through one area to the next in linear fashion (very linear) and having boring gun fights with some guys. Over and over again.

Upvote 0
Ok, been a while since it came out. Have they released patches that have fixed most of the issues?

Only one that I know of.

Don't listen to the people who say it's a bad game. It's not. The game itself is good and a nice experience (albeit linear, but that's not a bad thing).

The problem is that for me the damn thing WON'T EVEN RUN ANYMORE. I click on Metro 2033 in Steam, the black popup box comes up, then goes away, and that's it. I even tried a full reinstall, didn't work. I'm not the only one with this problem. A real shame, because I was about halfway through and I'm curious how the rest of the story goes. Unfortunately, it looks like they've pretty much abandoned the game. Unless they're coming with a really good patch or something.

Again, the game itself is good (although it does have a few flaws), but if they don't fix these things I recommend that you don't risk wasting your money.

Upvote 0