• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Don't let Newbies pick commander roles

Mormegil

Grizzled Veteran
Nov 21, 2005
Nargothrond
Once the game gets started, and we start getting heroes and what-not, I'd like to see it where you need to play a certain number of hours, or accumulated a certain number of points before you are allowed to be squad leader.

Either that or have a simple system to vote out incompetent squad leaders that automatically starts if A) you're side continues to loose badly and B) squad leader isn't doing any squad leader specific things (like say smoke, arty, or pointing out which objectives to take).

Or both.

I realize it's probably too late for suggestions at this point, but who knows, it may already be in so I get to gloat.

It seems like a good idea, but I wonder how the first days after the game's been released would be. Nobody would be able to pick the officer class.

Perhaps it'd be better if a boot camp or a special training is required to play special roles like sniper, MG, tank commander and officer, but still limiting the number of roles.

But I actually think every class should require a boot camp, rifleman and SMG would be the shortest, around 20min, maybe 30min for MG gunner, AT rifleman and sniper training, 35min for tank crewman and 40min for officers and tank commanders. But each role would require a separate training, except rifleman and SMG, which would be the basic training, while the other roles' training would be more advanced. Example: tank crewmen should learn about the ricochet, positioning, angling, ammo, tanks weak spots and stuff; MG gunners would learn about reloading, changing barrel, suppressive fire tactics, unjamming (if developed in the game); snipers would learn about distance, bullet speed and decay,(if dev in the game); AT riflemen would learn about tank weak spots, distance and angling; officers and tank commanders would learn about tactics, artillery, commands and stuff.

Upvote 0
I like the bootcamp idea, like AA. I've either supported it or suggested it on the old RO forums.

How's about this, only an experienced player can pick officer, IF there are experienced players on the server. That way if everyone is new, then it doesn't go to waste. Of course if no experienced player wants officer, then maybe it could unlock.

This would be moot if bootcamp were required to take certain roles. But I could still imagine some idiot finishing bootcamp, and still being a horrible squad leader. Nice to be able to vote them out.

Upvote 0
BF2 has a similar system based on rank. Ppl compete and the highest ranking competitor gets the spot. In case ranks are not provided or included one could take playing time or achievement success/progress or or or...
But on the other hand ROs freedom was and is something that made/kes it attractive. I also think that. the more you have to restirct mature players, the less free and accessible the game might turn out to appear.

Upvote 0
Well, battlefield 2 has a working system in this, doesn't it. The most experienced player gets the hold of the commander position. However within week or two from the release everyone should be able to grap the position 'cause lack of experience from obvious reasons.

If my memory serves me well, we already have these bootcamps, right? And those training times are a bit extreme. 30 min to learn to use a bolt action rifle? I'd be bored after 5 min unless there's some infantry tactics integrated into the teaching.

Upvote 0
I disagree with a voting system. I think it would be used for the wrong reasons. Some people would ***** how the squad leader is not doing a good job because they have gaming egos. Or, you get a group of people that are asses and they vote one of their friends in even though the squad leader in charge is doing a adequate job.

Ineffective squad leaders are usually *****ed at by the players, and if they continue to perform poorly, the *****ing continues. Eventually the squad leader dude switches classes, or he stays and the *****ing resumes.

I think it is a part of the game to have crappy squad leaders, albeit it does suck when they really suck. :D But who really cares. It is a game, and if the squad leader is truly trying to do his job, and yet he is doing it poorly, he will eventually learn. However, if the squad leader is doing stupid things on purpose, like throwing smoke behind friendly spawn or calling artillery on friendly spawn, then he will be admin kicked or vote kicked.

I don't think you need a system to select squad leaders. People that played longer usually have enough experience to be good squad leaders, but then again they might not be. That is a part of RO realism, having good leaders and bad.

Upvote 0
Well, battlefield 2 has a working system in this, doesn't it. The most experienced player gets the hold of the commander position. However within week or two from the release everyone should be able to grap the position 'cause lack of experience from obvious reasons.

If my memory serves me well, we already have these bootcamps, right? And those training times are a bit extreme. 30 min to learn to use a bolt action rifle? I'd be bored after 5 min unless there's some infantry tactics integrated into the teaching.
Yea. Since they are making a SP campaign, I think if there's going to be some kind of training mechanic, then there should be AI coded for it so you can do things, rather than AA's 'shoot at targets.'

Upvote 0