• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Radar on RO HOS - Big Error of Tripware

This is my opinion of this thread so far. Seriously.

facepalm_implied.jpg

IT'S NOT RADAR. READ THE DEV'S POSTS. JESUS.

Upvote 0
It's not a radar, I think it will be something like Arma 2, I imagine....
I agree with Zetsumei in what he is saying about teamwork and that....I fully agree, Its very hard to know what this will be like, we will have to see a video or something to judge.
But by what Wilsonam is saying, it sounds realistic, I just don't hope it dominates the game and makes players obsessively dependent on it.

Upvote 0
Post release testing is where its at...

hhhmmm, nope

With the success of Killing Floor, they find themselves in a position where the Heroes of Stalingrad's budget isn't necessarily drying up at a set date, so they have the time to create the full experience that they want to unleash on the world. "Not too soon, not real far," they joked. And the release will be by no means a secret. They're aiming to host a big beta test, a huge marketing push, and won't let the information pass you by. We'll be here to tell you all about it.

Upvote 0
If you want to be literal, then CoD's thing is not a radar either.

And me seeing a dot on my screen showing me there is a team mate there will not make me use more team work than I already do.

How this can be in the realism mode is beyond me.

I think the point of it is to show you where teammates are that are actually in your field of vision that you are aware of (realistic) but because of the limited viewing area of a player's monitor that can't properly mimic your actual field of vision (unrealistic), you aren't able to know where they are without it.

It is an attempt to give players information that they would have in real life.

It has nothing to do with attempting to force team work upon you.

Whether you like the idea of a radar type hud to display this information that a person would have in real life is entirely a personal preference.

Personally, I think the idea brought up about indicators on the sides of your screen sound more interesting.

Upvote 0
ok, i've read some pretty ridiculous posts here, most bordering on sycophantism, ie telling people to read the dev's posts explaining that it's not a radar system, etc.

some people here should realize that the devs changed the conventional radar system partly because of the backlash from the community. the result is a very well received compromise. i think this type of interaction between the devs and community shows a lot of promise for the game.

Upvote 0
I'm sure we've said it all before, but...

The aim with all these things we are trying out is to feed the player he would have in the real world - no more, no less.

For example, in Ostfront, you have a field of vision restricted to about 90 degrees. In the real world (yes, we did the reading and tested it out) you have very detailed vision in a small central core area, good vision out to about 90 degrees (color detection tails off) and peripheral vision to about 180-190 degrees (very limited color vision). That peripheral vision will detect motion well, but you'll struggle to say what it is...

When someone gets shot, you pretty much know where the bullet hit you, without having to check a little icon. A bullet whipping by very close will usually give you an impression of which direction it came from. It isn't going to pinpoint some bastard with a sniper rifle - but you WILL know it came from left/right/roughly.

When you are moving with a group of people, you have a pretty good idea where they are from the combination of sight (you seeing them) and sound (hearing them, them talking etc). When one of your mates jumps through a doorway, he doesn't immediately vanish from your perception!

Again, in the real world, you can glance around you as you move, checking where people are. You can't do that easily in game and keep running across a road. Your direction of movement in game follows where you are looking, so you can't really glance round as you run, without running into things a lot :)

So - the key aim in the game is to ensure the player gets some approximation (closer than in the original RO) to the information he gets in the real world. It is about using smart UI in game to make the game MORE realistic, not less!

Sounds excellent :D

Upvote 0
I'm sure we've said it all before, but...

The aim with all these things we are trying out is to feed the player he would have in the real world - no more, no less.

For example, in Ostfront, you have a field of vision restricted to about 90 degrees. In the real world (yes, we did the reading and tested it out) you have very detailed vision in a small central core area, good vision out to about 90 degrees (color detection tails off) and peripheral vision to about 180-190 degrees (very limited color vision). That peripheral vision will detect motion well, but you'll struggle to say what it is...

When someone gets shot, you pretty much know where the bullet hit you, without having to check a little icon. A bullet whipping by very close will usually give you an impression of which direction it came from. It isn't going to pinpoint some bastard with a sniper rifle - but you WILL know it came from left/right/roughly.

When you are moving with a group of people, you have a pretty good idea where they are from the combination of sight (you seeing them) and sound (hearing them, them talking etc). When one of your mates jumps through a doorway, he doesn't immediately vanish from your perception!

Again, in the real world, you can glance around you as you move, checking where people are. You can't do that easily in game and keep running across a road. Your direction of movement in game follows where you are looking, so you can't really glance round as you run, without running into things a lot :)

So - the key aim in the game is to ensure the player gets some approximation (closer than in the original RO) to the information he gets in the real world. It is about using smart UI in game to make the game MORE realistic, not less!
Yes you can, just give us a button like in ARMA 2 which gives a free head movement while holding it :D

Upvote 0
some people here should realize that the devs changed the conventional radar system partly because of the backlash from the community. the result is a very well received compromise. i think this type of interaction between the devs and community shows a lot of promise for the game.

No, we actually did not and I don't think we actually explained the mentioned systems in detail yet.

Upvote 0
I think the point of it is to show you where teammates are that are actually in your field of vision that you are aware of (realistic) but because of the limited viewing area of a player's monitor that can't properly mimic your actual field of vision (unrealistic), you aren't able to know where they are without it.

It is an attempt to give players information that they would have in real life.

It has nothing to do with attempting to force team work upon you.

Whether you like the idea of a radar type hud to display this information that a person would have in real life is entirely a personal preference.

Personally, I think the idea brought up about indicators on the sides of your screen sound more interesting.

All I can say is:

1) Sounds. Better sounds, louder sounds for footsteps would help knowing if there is someone around you. And, this is far more realistic than a "detector" floating in your vision.

2) When you see something in your peripheral vision, it looks blurry, and you are often not able to figure out what it is. This detector tells that it is a friendly. So it is not actually working like it does in real life.

3) All it does is add clutter to the screen. This kills immersion. I'd rather have people playing carefully and tactically, checking to verify visually if it is a friendly or not. Not having a detector tell them that the person who is coming up behind you is friendly or not.

... and many other reasons.

But, looks like the devs have made up their mind. Hopefully there is a demo for it, because I would definitely like to try it before I buy.

If the final product ships with detectors and over the top "heroes" stuff, I'll just save my money.

Upvote 0
All I can say is:

1) Sounds. Better sounds, louder sounds for footsteps would help knowing if there is someone around you. And, this is far more realistic than a "detector" floating in your vision.

2) When you see something in your peripheral vision, it looks blurry, and you are often not able to figure out what it is. This detector tells that it is a friendly. So it is not actually working like it does in real life.

3) All it does is add clutter to the screen. This kills immersion. I'd rather have people playing carefully and tactically, checking to verify visually if it is a friendly or not. Not having a detector tell them that the person who is coming up behind you is friendly or not.

... and many other reasons.

But, looks like the devs have made up their mind. Hopefully there is a demo for it, because I would definitely like to try it before I buy.

If the final product ships with detectors and over the top "heroes" stuff, I'll just save my money.

It's about giving the players the information fast, information that in real life is obvious to you. And besides it's still a game right, have some faith will ya?

Upvote 0