• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

what level perks at what difficulties for solo play?

antanca666

FNG / Fresh Meat
May 28, 2010
ok, so i'll be the total noob that asks this stupid question, but is this game really hard, or is it just me? i am a level 3 sharpshooter and level 2 commando now and i still can't get even halfway through a long game on normal. i only do solo play so far, i should add. i am on satellite and my ping won't really permit me to play mp. i have ONCE been able to complete a short game on normal, but usually i die the first time a fp appears. i have read a couple threads with suggestions for tactics and stuff and i feel like i'm doing most things right but normal still seems to just throw way too much at me for what i can handle. the other frankly annoying thing about this game in general is how much visual distortion there is when you are being attacked, even by a clot. i would say 90% of the time i die it is because something hits me that i didn't notice and now i can't even ****ing see anything to stop it. i just sit back and watch my health drop. there should be an option to turn that off, i think. my main question i guess is what level should your perk be at what difficulty levels? is it reasonable that i should be having trouble playing normal at level 2-3? or am i just totally ****ed?

Normal solo with a lv3 sharpshooter should be no problem at all.
It's just ~30 headshots per wave, you can do it with nothing but the crossbow.
Hell you can even drop scrakes with 9mm headshots.

As for that, go to the graphics options and set the scope detais to "textured" to be able to use it properly.

Also the m14 should shred everything with just bodyshots on solo normal anyway so it's not like you have to aim at all.

Upvote 0
If fleshpounds are giving you trouble it might help you to know they are weak against grenades. Your headshots with the Xbow SHOULD be enough to kill them, but if you are struggling throw a couple of nades at their feet and line up a shot. Once they stop still a second and rage take that moment to pop his head off. If he still hasn't dropped unload a round of deagle shots into its face. It should be enough to drop him.

Upvote 0
I still remember when start playing KF. I had a lot of problems surviving on normal difficult and eventually resorted to beginner difficult for some practice and perk levels. You will soon get the hang of it and learn how to most efficiently beat all the different zeds in killing floor.

I have had a long break from KF now and just returned, but when I played the most I would actually run around and solo six player hard games when all my team members died - on a regular basis. With pretty much any perk.

Fleshpounds are harmless until they berserk, once they berserk they will hunt you down until they hit you. But once they hit you once they will return to normal mode again. I think the error you (and most people in PUG games) make is that you keep fire at him when he really close and about to take a swing at you. This will make him berserk again - and this time he will probably kill you...

As a sharpshooter you want to grab a crossbow. Use one shot to the head while he is still not enraged. This will make him stop. Start enrage. Lift his arms and his head... still standing still... still an easy target.... just in time for you to zoom in and place a second head shot. This shot will kill him.

As a commando you used to be able to walk up to a fleshpound that was not yet enraged, aim for his head, wait for his attack animation and then shoot him in the head with a weapon that had low enough damage per second to prevent him from enrage (like the bullpup) but fast enough rate of fire to hit him the split second where he would expose the top of his head (like the bullpup) - that would instantly decapitate the fleshpound, even from full life. For some reason they removed this weakness, so commando doesn't really have a solid way to kill a fleshpound except dealing massive amount of damage to him with the SCAR.

In a solo normal game fleshpounds does not really have that much life though, so what you could do is to zoom in with your bullpup and shoot him until he enrage - then switch to your SCAR and keep shooting while he is running up to you. Stop shooting when he is at melee range, let him hit you once - then your run away from him. Heal up. Reload. Repeat.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Wasnt the overkill motion blur removed from like version 1002?
Yes it was. Could be hacked version but then again for someone who hasn't played with it before it might seem over the top. Like the new Halo having "crosshair bloom" (yes people have called it this) a.k.a. the crosshair gets bigger when you fire a shot.

@antanca666
If the motion blur is bothering you, the graphics setting menu has a check box for motion blur which you can uncheck.

Upvote 0
ok, so i deactivated motion blur and it does make a huge difference, but i am still not able to complete a long game on normal. the best i did was getting to wave 7. your suggestions all seem good, i don't know what i'm doing wrong. i always seem to end up not being able to hold my ground, on the run, then i got boxed in and i get killed by either usually a clot or a gorefast. this has got to be the most frustrating fps i've ever played.

Upvote 0
KF has a very different learning curve than other FPS. You have to learn to have eyes in the back of your head. You have to learn the maps and develop a 6th sense for when you're in a position to get surrounded.

Are you playing solo? I really recommend you start out with team games, they are much, much much easier to get comfortable with the game than solo.

Here's the thing. Only 32? zeds can be spawned at one time. Knowing this, you can usually predict where the bulk of specimen will be coming from. If you see three in front of you, there's a good chance there are 10 behind you.

Secondly. The game knows when you're looking at spawn points. If you're facing a spawn point, but you're not close enough to disable it...and you turn away, the game will almost always activate that spawn point if it needs to spawn Z.E.Ds right at that moment.

Anyways, practice practice practice. KF, more than regular FPS and like L4D, requires a lot of personal knowledge to survive. Knowing where spawn points are on the map alone helps you survive longer, by helping you know where and where not to fight and go.

Upvote 0
KF has a very different learning curve than other FPS. You have to learn to have eyes in the back of your head. You have to learn the maps and develop a 6th sense for when you're in a position to get surrounded.

LOL! 6th sense, I like that xD

But yeah, solo normal should be no problem with any perk or level o_O

Id suggest level 0-3 with normal, 4-6 on hard and 5-6 suicidal. Beginner instead, is for babies xD

Upvote 0
Id suggest level 0-3 with normal, 4-6 on hard and 5-6 suicidal. Beginner instead, is for babies xD
Sure, if i were to restart a perk i would probably not play at beginner either. But the levels you suggest is when you actually know how to play KF.

You just don't survive at normal difficulty without several hours of practice practice first. Shrug.

Upvote 0
just looking back on this. i took a break from the game for a while and recently started playing it again. i think i've got about 40 hours on it total. sharpshooter lv 4, commando lv 3.. mostly playing as commando now. normal is more managable for me now, but i still can't get through a long game. i tried playing on hard as a commando and on the first 3 maps couldn't get through the first wave :? i can't remember feeling more like i was doing something fundamentally wrong.. like there was this magic button i didn't know about that would make it as easy as this apparently is for everyone else. usually i would run out of ammo with my 9mm about 3/4 of the way through the first wave.. holding my ground is impossible. the fact that anyone finds hard difficulty with perks 3 and below boggles my mind, frankly. as i said, on normal i feel like i'm getting the rhythm of the game more and if i die it's on one of the last waves doing something stupid. or fighting the patriarch. i've got a fairly consistent way of killing fleshpounds as a commando. i make sure i'm carrying a shotgun along with whatever machine gun i've got, unload a clip of the machine gun into him at relatively close range to really piss him off and finish him off with the shotgun as he runs in at me. then it's a matter of scrambling away so everything else that's been closing in meanwhile doesn't rip me apart. i still maintain that this is a ****ing hard game. by comparison i played through half-life 2 twice in less time that it's taken me NOT to beat a normal long game in killing fioor. totally different types of games, but still...

Upvote 0
It is a very hard game, but I think I know what your problem is. You need to go for headshots. If you're running out of ammo for the 9mm on the first wave, I can only assume you're shooting them in the body. Aim at their foreheads and the heads should come right off. Believe me, it makes a HUGE difference in how quickly you can kill things.

Upvote 0