• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

The ultimate and ONLY KF is dying / not updated / etc thread

RO is a really good game if you can get into it. My only beef with RO is that it doesn't support higher screen resolutions. It would be nice if on the release of RO2 they patched RO1 with a variety of new higher resolutions

This is kind of off topic, but what resolution are you trying to run that it doesn't support? I'm running 1920x1080 on my home machine, and have run it up to 2560

Upvote 0
we'll do what we've always done, and keep adding content to extend the life of the game. About 10 months ago player counts were peaking at about 1000, now (pre-mac release) they have been peaking at a little less than 2000. I'd say that is a pretty good result.

I don't care what the hell you guys do, charge 5$, 10$, 20$ if you will just release more content please!

Upvote 0
:eek: How the hell did you get those sizes? not to mention you must have one hell of a monitor.

At the moment I use a screen resolution of 1440x900. The highest option I can see in RO is 1600x1200 but sadly my monitor isn't very good.

Available Resolutions in game (or at least I can see):
800x600
1024x768
1152x864
1280x800
1280x960
1280x1024
1600x1024
1600x1200

AFAIK, you have to enter the Width and Depth in pixels in the RO INI file in System.

Reactions: avp2501
Upvote 0
AFAIK, you have to enter the Width and Depth in pixels in the RO INI file in System.

Cheers thats worked wonders :D Guess I'll be playing more RO until the KF update is out.

TW the reason most of us are moaning so much is because after playing your games everything else is pretty crap or lack depth so all we got to look forward to are the updates so I'm not surprized that some are willing to pay for new content.

Upvote 0
Cheers thats worked wonders :D Guess I'll be playing more RO until the KF update is out.

TW the reason most of us are moaning so much is because after playing your games everything else is pretty crap or lack depth so all we got to look forward to are the updates so I'm not surprized that some are willing to pay for new content.

Sounds promising, maybe I'll meet you on the battlefield. I'll most likely die a whole bunch so I hope the RO people are cool with nubcakes.

Upvote 0
we are allowed to create new player models - except no one has the skills to do it.

would be great a reanimation of the player models!!
They walk and jump a little ridiclolous (no offense) and I would like to see when another player use the iron sight or the scope.

It's just my biggest dream about the new patch. Beside the blance
:cool:

Upvote 0
would be great a reanimation of the player models!!
They walk and jump a little ridiclolous (no offense) and I would like to see when another player use the iron sight or the scope.

It's just my biggest dream about the new patch. Beside the blance
:cool:

i hope that was sarcasm cause you already can, maybe not look "nice" when you walk and jump, but everything else >.>

Upvote 0
And bswearer, must you pop up and sow the seeds of doom and gloom for every game we make ;)

if you seriously believe i'm trying to undermind the greatness of RO and KF because my analysis of the game's status is a bit on the negative side, then i appologize for calling it like i see it. i think my total hours logged in RO and KF and posts per day on these forums (many of them being a lot "nicer" :D) should show my dedication for you guys and your games. ;) i mean, why else do you think i was so direct in my analysis? i care enough to try and get you to see the reality that a lot of KF "veterans" (like myself) just don't play the game that much anymore because it's gotten a little stale since the last update. i've got enough pride to be honest about things regardless of how positive they may or may not be.

The reality is the graphs look nothing like that. The graph for the past six months has a big spike around Christmas, then leveling off to pretty close to the current (pre-mac release) levels around the middle of February, with about a 5% decline since then, and now a huge spike with all the new players coming in.

well that's pretty much how i described the graphs. the numbers before the big updates in november were relatively "low" ater the game had been out out for about 6 months. in addition to new players the sale/update/freewekend brought in, the updates brought a lot of people back, taking the daily peaks up from 1300 to almost 4000-7000 through most of dec/jan and since then it's been a relatively steady decline back to October numbers of 1300. the "Mac Sale", like you already mentioned, provided a nice numbers boost.

Every game has a life cycle, and will eventually fade away. New players come in, and replace players that don't play a game anymore. That is just a fact of how games work.

yeah, but the thing is, how to keep people from "going away", especially when the "veterans" of KF (retail) have only been playing for a year? RO has kept people around for years. there are still people playing it today that began playing 4 years ago. this all not including RO mod players, likewise KF mod players. i can accept the fact that RO is coming to the end of it's run but it's been almost what 6 years since the original mod? that's an awesome thing to be proud of. but to see KF where it is at (in referance to the amount of inactive "veterans") only a year after release, it's a little disappointing.

so i guess what i am getting at is that the graphs just show me that people are dropping off a little faster than I anticipated after those big pushes made this last november. i understand that KF isn't the "franchise game" like RO is and yes I can't wait for HOS to finally come out, but what could be done to get KF players that "left" to come back and keep more KF players around for a longer period of time? if we just want to keep it like it has been over the past 5 or so months, then we'll just come back to this same discussion come october/november after the new players from this sale "move on" and cite it being due to the enevitable "game cycle".

i'd just rather see more of a proactive approach in reviving the community from within the already established community instead of trying to boost numbers with discount sales. sure it's a nice boost in "daily peak players etc..." but imo the only thing a sale is good for is boosting revenues. now, the perfect way to kill two birds with one stone is to couple a sale with an update. that way you get money from new players and you add more activity in bringing people back. the KF birthday and then the KF Mac release provided the perfect opportunities for that to happen, yet it didn't happen, which was a bit disappointing. additionally there's so no real sign that KF will be updated anytime soon, aside from TW devs like yourself Ramm, saying there will be more updates. for a 4 year "veteran" of TW game like me, i can take your word for it, but i'm not thinking about me, i'm thinking about the thousands of others who do worry that KF is "dying/dead" ;)

i hope that was more of a positive approach to sowing the seeds of improvement and not of "doom and gloom" :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
RO is a really good game if you can get into it. My only beef with RO is that it doesn't support higher screen resolutions. It would be nice if on the release of RO2 they patched RO1 with a variety of new higher resolutions
That's a big if. At this point I think an average player would need to be extremely dedicated to get past the frustration of getting massacred by veterans. I bought it back in December and I think I gave up after like a week. I can't recall a game where I felt so helpless to veteran players as I did in RO. The two free passes I gave out weren't played more than once or twice.

KF doesn't give that feeling of helplessness. In it's current state it may annoy some people due to its imbalancedness, but I've yet to see someone who felt overwhelmed playing KF.

Upvote 0
I don't care what the hell you guys do, charge 5$, 10$, 20$ if you will just release more content please!

I generally discourage giving a "free pass" to charge what ever the producers of the game believe will net them the greatest profit but.... if there is a free pass in my life time that I have to begin handing out then Tripwire would be the company to do it.

Its been a while since I've been financially stable but now that I am having sampled the quality of Tw's product I am confident in handing over my credit card blindly for more killing floor content.

On a side note I believe this goes double for me since I have two copies of the game 1 for me and 1 for my friend, so I'l be picking up two copies of the DLC :)

Upvote 0
if you seriously believe i'm trying to undermind the greatness of RO and KF because my analysis of the game's status is a bit on the negative side, then i appologize for calling it like i see it. i think my total hours logged in RO and KF and posts per day on these forums (many of them being a lot "nicer" :D) should show my dedication for you guys and your games. ;) i mean, why else do you think i was so direct in my analysis? i care enough to try and get you to see the reality that a lot of KF "veterans" (like myself) just don't play the game that much anymore because it's gotten a little stale since the last update. i've got enough pride to be honest about things regardless of how positive they may or may not be.

well that's pretty much how i described the graphs. the numbers before the big updates in november were relatively "low" ater the game had been out out for about 6 months. in addition to new players the sale/update/freewekend brought in, the updates brought a lot of people back, taking the daily peaks up from 1300 to almost 4000-7000 through most of dec/jan and since then it's been a relatively steady decline back to October numbers of 1300. the "Mac Sale", like you already mentioned, provided a nice numbers boost.

yeah, but the thing is, how to keep people from "going away", especially when the "veterans" of KF (retail) have only been playing for a year? RO has kept people around for years. there are still people playing it today that began playing 4 years ago. this all not including RO mod players, likewise KF mod players. i can accept the fact that RO is coming to the end of it's run but it's been almost what 6 years since the original mod? that's an awesome thing to be proud of. but to see KF where it is at (in referance to the amount of inactive "veterans") only a year after release, it's a little disappointing.

so i guess what i am getting at is that the graphs just show me that people are dropping off a little faster than I anticipated after those big pushes made this last november. i understand that KF isn't the "franchise game" like RO is and yes I can't wait for HOS to finally come out, but what could be done to get KF players that "left" to come back and keep more KF players around for a longer period of time? if we just want to keep it like it has been over the past 5 or so months, then we'll just come back to this same discussion come october/november after the new players from this sale "move on" and cite it being due to the enevitable "game cycle".

i'd just rather see more of a proactive approach in reviving the community from within the already established community instead of trying to boost numbers with discount sales. sure it's a nice boost in "daily peak players etc..." but imo the only thing a sale is good for is boosting revenues. now, the perfect way to kill two birds with one stone is to couple a sale with an update. that way you get money from new players and you add more activity in bringing people back. the KF birthday and then the KF Mac release provided the perfect opportunities for that to happen, yet it didn't happen, which was a bit disappointing. additionally there's so no real sign that KF will be updated anytime soon, aside from TW devs like yourself Ramm, saying there will be more updates. for a 4 year "veteran" of TW game like me, i can take your word for it, but i'm not thinking about me, i'm thinking about the thousands of others who do worry that KF is "dying/dead" ;)

i hope that was more of a positive approach to sowing the seeds of improvement and not of "doom and gloom" :)

I applaud your honest post, although I haven't dived into the statistics of the data as in depth as you have I am an avid player and I've been seeing the number of players decline, now I know that inthe beginning of the game there were no free passes and the servers were just really heavily populated by consumers I must assume that they simply have stopped playing.

I have to admit that I did stop playing for over a month because of alien vs predator 4 the coop mode where the marines fight endless hoards of aliens. That kept me going until i realized it only came with 2 maps, then when I got bored and hoped they release more content, which they did, but decided to charge us 10 bucks or so.....thats right....for 2 more maps. Thats also the point when I realized that I've been shooting at the same ugly aliens (beatifuly rendered though I might add) time after time. So guess what I did, I came back, but not every veteran has choosen this course of action.

This is unfortunate because I firmly do not believe that KF has hit its 'peak' yet. Like any sports star they have a period where they are simply on fire but I adamantly affirm that killing floor has only begin to strike in its precipice of greatness.

Upvote 0
Any chance we could get a vague eta? :)

As much as I wanted to ask that question I do believe that giving us any type of dead line only hinders the release, so far their creative direction and quality has been superb and I do recall that the content update when they added the husk took a lot longer than expected but in that situation the ends justified the means.

So as for me I don't mind waiting around, I just hope that others don't mind either but like anything in life there is a limit, and what Im truly worried about is how late to too late to vastly resurrect the old vets of this game.

However does that I mean im not excited, hell no, when I read the OP about having new content soon I had large grin on my face.

Upvote 0
Don't get me wrong, it's awesome that new stuff is coming, but what am I supposed to do with new content, if I can't play just one complete game without getting a Runtime Error? Have you guys figured out what is causing that kind of crash yet? If not, is there any way I / we can help you? Giving you guys my PC isn't an option due to me living in Europe. Aren't there any crash logs or isn't there some kind of debug mode with useful information?

Upvote 0