• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Pay for dlc?

Pay for dlc?

• I would pay for DLC in a heartbeat!

Votes: 28 32.6%
  • Depending on the price and the content provided I dont mind paying for dlc.

Votes: 40 46.5%
  • I would never pay for dlc!

Votes: 18 20.9%

• Total voters
You fail at life for thinking your opinion is better. "You are not a beautiful and unique snowflake, You are the same decaying organic matter as everything else, We are all part of the same compost heap."

Me as a KF fan, I would buy any DLC that came out... Pink Fluffy Monstah Mut for 10$ by TWI I would probally pay for <3
but just my fail psychology, If TWI did make DLC for like 20$ naturally people would want too buy the DLC and of course if players couldn't they would play KF till they could afford it, then go on with KF and keep playing. However if its around 10$ and lower players instantly buy it and think KF is never going to update. When people think of DLC they think more stuff, people like stuff, people buy stuff. Most people don't see content they see stuff.

I believe people think if a game company makes some 50$ update(map pack/tweaks... etc.) every week the game is actually progressing, when in all actuality any company can do it :p the beauty of KF they make you pay for the most useless things, Skins! They make you feel different from other players but really they are useless! They give free weapons, and perks! THATS AWESOME.

But in my opinion~ I WOULD BUY ANYTHING BY TWI's KF!

The poster prior to Nekrage was the one who broke the chain of respect and civility. If you want somebody to say something about, make it him. This is a legitimate debate thread, keep it civil everyone - everyone's here for the purpose of trying to figure out where KF should/could be going. Refrain from insulting other posters please.

In response to Akame, to summarize Nekrage and my thoughts within the last few posts into a single offensive sentence does little credit to the purpose of this thread. If you're going to post your ideas keep it civil and accurate - nowhere in any of my posts did I suggest that I only play a game if "the devs put something in front of me and say get this". I don't adopt that mentality at all, I assume Nekrage is the same. KF did not do that, and I play KF quite frequently. However I do believe in the concept of paying for a certain quality standard of content - it has nothing to do with what the developers want. I'm not going to buy DLC simply because the developers make it, if it's bad then I want no part of it. Those are my views, for the purpose of clarification.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The poster prior to Nekrage was the one who broke the chain of respect and civility. If you want somebody to say something about, make it him. This is a legitimate debate thread, keep it civil everyone - everyone's here for the purpose of trying to figure out where KF should/could be going. Refrain from insulting other posters please.

yeh but at least akame was right - So you only play a game as long as the devs put something in front of you and say "get this?' That is really sad.

going with that train of thought, coming up with DLC is going to be difficult.

Upvote 0
I'm probably not the best opinion to have on a paid extra perk, because I'll give you guys money for just about anything to help the cause.

But I don't think it would split the community. The larger problem it can create is class envy, combined with the whole haves and have nots problem that exclusive, game-changing content makes.

We've already seen what bad class envy looks like. If the perk is over the top good, or just over the top in ways that all KF players have been craving, there could be issues there. Or at least some hostility from people too whatever to spend $5. Take how much people complain about SS, or the annoying side-effects of demo, and now make that something exclusive someone else paid for. You can probably already hear the complaints now.

I still think it'd be an ok move, as long as the perk is balanced right considering it's an 'exclusive', and the price is right for what we get.

Consider too that TWI has created the expectation already that DLC of actual game play value is free...so you trade off some good will as well. I think you will see more purchases for DLC that actually adds to game play.

Whether or not that's a trade off TWI wants to make...I guess depends on how badly you guys want to drum up sales. If people know TWI could have just as easily rolled an extra perk into the next update, and that the decision not to was for profit...we die hards won't really care, but the more vocal segment will probably go on a tear about it. They usually do.

Upvote 0
I would like to make a comment on how you say the perk should be balanced.

In a game called WOW...I know you guys never heard of it because its a POS. Anyway back when i played this terrible game, a new expansion was released called Wrath of the Lich King. This expansion released a new class called Death Knight. This Death Knight class was INSANELY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! OVERPOWERED when it was first put in the game(and may still be...idk). I had the new expansion but did not really feel for the DK class and never rerolled. Ok now to the point....JUST BECAUSE ITS NEW DOESN'T MEAN IT SHOULD BE OVERPOWERED!!!! Thats a message to TWI if you guys decide to go through with this. I believe a BALANCED perk would be fine nothing more than an additional perk...nothing spectacular or out of the ordinary about it.

Ohh and make an engineer perk with automated turrets :) (lol)

Upvote 0
Many people seem to think having an extra perk that requires payment gives the wealthy an advantage over others - I like to take that into a different perspective. Should any perk provide an advantage over another? I think not. I think the developers intended on each perk to be as viable as the next, and the only reason for playing any given perk would be that you enjoy that play style - which takes me to my final point. That's what a perk upgrade would be: an additional play style. If the new perk doesn't suit your play style then you need not waste your money on buying it. Some people would dislike the fact that, even though they don't like the new perk, they're being limited. Well let me ask you, for arguments sake, do you feel limited if a friend is going to a gay bar and you're not allowed in? What would you be doing there in the first place if you're not into men? (If you're homosexual then I'm sure you can still get my point regardless) What would you be doing buying a perk if you don't like it in the first place? If you do like the perk enough then it shouldn't be a problem to buy it, the price they charge really couldn't be all that high. The quality of this game is worth a LOT more than the mere 20$ TWI asked for it. I wouldn't even consider complaining about paid for DLC until the total amount of paid DLC released equals what I think the game SHOULD be worth - around 50 or 60$.

Just had to quote this just to make sure you guys read this. I wouldn't have used the gay bar example lol, but it does indeed get the point off. This pretty much sums it all up, a perk is a play style...no style should be overpowered.

Upvote 0
Just had to quote this just to make sure you guys read this. I wouldn't have used the gay bar example lol, but it does indeed get the point off. This pretty much sums it all up, a perk is a play style...no style should be overpowered.
In a perfect world, this is true.
You know, you could also say the same about new weapons just being "different playstyles".
That doesn't change anything about the fact that that would split the community.

Also how do you know how a perk plays without being able to test it in the first place?
By watching others play? Not really.

How would you like it if only people who paid money could be demos?
How would you like it if the EBR was only available for real money?
How would you like it if that dude gets 90% of all kills not because he's good but because he paid money to get the m32 and now spams it at everything without ever running out of ammo?

Sure, in a perfect world those would be non-issues because all guns and perks are on the same level and thus it doesn't matter which shooter you pick.
The reality looks a lot less boring though and it has been shown several times that game altering paid DLC can destroy a games community.

Upvote 0
@Nekrage and Nelorzoul

You two said that playing for fun/ once you have reach all the goals is no fun then went on to imply new content (objects, progression, or achievements) were necessary to keep players playing a game. But I think that this is a very poor way of looking at the problem. While I agree that new content is nice, needing new content all the time to keep playing a good game is not necessary.

I practice Tae Kwon Do, a korean martial art, and have done so for eight years now. I have seen many times that people quit martial arts after getting bored because they are only intersted in learning new techinques but are not interested in bettering themselves. We consume a lot of information daily but do not stop to digest it. But now I am on a tangent.

If a game is challenging, then it has it's own value as goal for the player to reach.

tr;dl
I would personally would pay for killing floor dlc but I do not think that it is generally a good idea to have dlc you have to pay for.

Also, the core gameplay needs attention first and foremost before I would purchase any dlc.

Also, this:
9_6 said:
Sure, in a perfect world those would be non-issues because all guns and perks are on the same level and thus it doesn't matter which shooter you pick.
The reality looks a lot less boring though and it has been shown several times that game altering paid DLC can destroy a games community.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
You know, you could also say the same about new weapons just being "different playstyles".
That doesn't change anything about the fact that that would split the community.

Also how do you know how a perk plays without being able to test it in the first place?

How would you like it if that dude gets 90% of all kills not because he's good but because he paid money to get the m32 and now spams it at everything without ever running out of ammo?

How would you like it if only people who paid money could be demos? Balance it out.
How would you like it if the EBR was only available for real money? No one gets extra more powerful guns.
How would you like it if that dude gets 90% of all kills not because he's good but because he paid money to get the m32 and now spams it at everything without ever running out of ammo? No one should get weapons others cannot.

By watching others play? All weapons EVEN those of the NEW perk are available...have fun testing before you buy : )

Last edited:
Upvote 0

I hear all this negativity about paid DLC destroying game communities, but I've yet to see an example. Could somebody point out a game where paid DLC has ruined the game? Please don't say Modern Warfare 2...I don't think I even have to explain myself on that point.

As for games that have done paid DLC right...Borderlands. If you want to know why then ask Borderlands' number one fan: Wilsonam...lmao ;)

Upvote 0
Balance it out.
By doing... what?

No one should get weapons others cannot.
Perks are just as game altering.
A LAR is a mediocre weapon in the hands of other perks but becomes a beast when wielded by a SS.
Almost a new kind of gun.

You just don't wanna have "that guy" who can do something you can't do just because he paid money.
Nobody likes that.

Upvote 0
@Nekrage and Nelorzoul

You two said that playing for fun/ once you have reach all the goals is no fun then went on to imply new content (objects, progression, or achievements) were necessary to keep players playing a game. But I think that this is a very poor way of looking at the problem. While I agree that new content is nice, needing new content all the time to keep playing a good game is not necessary.

I practice Tae Kwon Do, a korean martial art, and have done so for eight years now. I have seen many times that people quit martial arts after getting bored because they are only intersted in learning new techinques but are not interested in bettering themselves. We consume a lot of information daily but do not stop to digest it. But now I am on a tangent.

If a game is challenging, then it has it's own value as goal for the player to reach.

tr;dl
I would personally would pay for killing floor dlc but I do not think that it is generally a good idea to have dlc you have to pay for.

Also, the core gameplay needs attention first and foremost before I would purchase any dlc.

Also, this:

I think everyone needs to stop and think for a second. What is TWI? A company. Whats the objective of a company? To make money. If TWI wants to charge for dlc(i hope they do) then we will see BETTER and MORE content updates from them.

"In a perfect world" we would get all the updates we want for FREEEEEE! And they would be perfect.

Now for "ITS GUNNA SPLIT THE COMMUNITY!!!!!(wahh)"...if KF2 comes out...and people cant afford it...."ITS GUNNA SPLIT THE COMMUNITY!!!!!!(wahh)"...Ya i dont think anyone would be saying that.

"In a perfect world" no one would have to pay for anything, and everyone would have equal opportunities. "In a perfect world" we would all be driving the hottest cars. "In a perfect world" we all could afford the new video card to run Killing Floor 2.

Ok now BACK to the "ITS GUNNA SPLIT THE COMMUNITY!!!!(wahh)"....I have explained that a million times but I will do so again. MAPS and WEAPONS come with FREE updates, so everyone could play together. Perks come with dlc....now I purchase the dlc and my friend doesnt. We are playing together on the NEW free map, and hes using the NEW free weapons. Im doing the SAME thing, only thing...is I have the perk. If he plays using the new weapons, he will know EXACTLY what the new perk will be like. If he likes that style of play, and enjoys using those weapons...then he can BUY THE DLC.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Exaggeration makes a good argument not.
Anyway, I made my point.

We accept your surrender and ransack all your villages. Thank you please play again.

Ohh and btw I might want to add this.

When your playing an FPS and your VERSING other players, you think you all have the same chances of victory? He has a SICK gaming computer with amazing internet connection. Your fps is lower than his because your on a crap computer. He has a sick gaming mouse you have a pos track ball mouse....need i say more....I think I may acctually. THIS IS A DAMN COOP GAME....YOUR A TEAM....STRONGER TEAMMATES = STONGER TEAM = STRONGER YOU. Ok and now back to my other side of the arguement YET AGAIN. NO ONE WILL BE STRONGER! New perks dont mean STONGER perks.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
By doing... what?

Perks are just as game altering.
A LAR is a mediocre weapon in the hands of other perks but becomes a beast when wielded by a SS.
Almost a new kind of gun.

You just don't wanna have "that guy" who can do something you can't do just because he paid money.
Nobody likes that.

I agree with this.. Go on any MMO, go to any game host such as ijji, or Nexon. Tell me that cash doesn't turn your pathetic character into a cash god, capable of turning players into crying children in a corner begging for mercy. Tripwire wants to give us content? We'll pay for it if the content is something that wont effect the game play for all in the game. As stated previously, character packs make no difference, and neither would weapon skins if they kept the same weapons stats, but a perk is too game-changing for everyone to not get.

Upvote 0
I agree with this.. Go on any MMO, go to any game host such as ijji, or Nexon. Tell me that cash doesn't turn your pathetic character into a cash god, capable of turning players into crying children in a corner begging for mercy. Tripwire wants to give us content? We'll pay for it if the content is something that wont effect the game play for all in the game. As stated previously, character packs make no difference, and neither would weapon skins if they kept the same weapons stats, but a perk is too game-changing for everyone to not get.

So I don't get it, what happens if you pay for DLC in KF? OH WOW! THE DAMN CASH SHOP KID IS SAVING MY LIFE LIKE CRAZY, JESUS WTF MAN? LOOK HOW MANY TIMES HE SAVED ME! WTF? DUDE...DID HE JUST HEAL ME? WOW OP.

Upvote 0
we dont want paid DLC that seperates the community or gives them an advantage, so no maps, perks, etc. so our choices are character skins like we've been getting, or weapons that serve as alternatives to other weapons but with equal stats/cost.

/face palm....jesus have I not exlpained this?

Ok anyway LOOK AT THE VOTES. I say this community wants DLC ; )

Upvote 0