• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Level Design Is there a way to convert old maps?

DXDOS

FNG / Fresh Meat
May 15, 2009
I done some research on this mod before I bought it.

I am very impressed with this work. But I have no experience at map creation because I never had any live tutors and help with maps. Even the tutorial documents and youtube videos are not useful. However, I am good at converting material to use in the matter of files, formats, and usable media for game purposes and more.

I noticed this was originally a "Unreal Tournament 2004 Editors Edition" packaged mod that took .ut2 maps but now they look like they been encrypted and put into .rom file extension.

Is there a way I can convert .ut2 maps to fit the new standards of your wonderful stand alone mod? And please no excuses for "oh its not possible, these are completely new map files types for their own reasons."

I know there is a way, this mod is not completely dependent on new source code. Maybe if its possible, there can be a program developed for the soul purpose of converting old .ut2 maps into your strange .rom maps.

Any feedback on this matter would be appreciated...
No wise cracks and insults will be tolerated!

You should be able to rename the .ut2 file to .rom. If you're having trouble loading it in the editor (crashing), then there's something you're going to need to strip out of the map before you'll be able to load it in the KF editor (usually this is something like a UT specific actor). Generally the GPF will spit out somewhere in its alien language box what it is that's crashing it. If it loads and you get the missing resources dialog box, it will tell you what packages you'll need to port over as well.

Upvote 0
hey i need some help with the ro editor

i would like to open an old map but i cant i always get an error but i dont know what to do

Code:
Build RedOrchestra_Build_[2005-11-27_10.48]

CPU: AuthenticAMD Unknown processor @ 3400 MHz with 4095MB RAM
Video: ATI Radeon HD 5800 Series (6105)

Bad expr token 5a

Verlauf: SerializeExpr <- (5A) <- UStruct::Serialize <- (Class myLevel.ROObjectiveManager3) <- UState::Serialize <- UClass::Serialize <- (Class myLevel.ROObjectiveManager3) <- LoadObject <- (Class myLevel.ROObjectiveManager3 5038567==5038567/10581698 5038527 93) <- ULinkerLoad::Preload <- PreLoadObjects <- UObject::EndLoad <- UObject::LoadPackage <- UEditorEngine::Exec_Map <- UEditorEngine::Exec <- (MAP LOAD FILE="C:\Users\Michi\Desktop\Neuer Ordner (2)\UT2004\RedOrchestra\Map).. <- UUnrealEdEngine::Exec <- FileOpen <- WEditorFrame::OnCommand <- WWindow::WndProc <- WWindow::StaticProc <- MessagePump <- MainLoop

Code:
Build RedOrchestra_Build_[2005-11-27_10.48]

CPU: AuthenticAMD Unknown processor @ 3400 MHz with 4095MB RAM
Video: ATI Radeon HD 5800 Series (6105)

Assertion failed: Actors(1)->Brush!=NULL [File:c:\redorchestra\engine\inc\UnLevel.h] [Line: 477]

Upvote 0
I would start by giving you the same advice that the TWI representative did when this thread was first created. Open the map in the RO SDK first and delete all RO specific actors. The file it is looking for c:\redorchestra\engine\inc\UnLevel.h is not something you would have access to, and I'm sure that even if you got past that obstacle there would be others. You need to remove the RO actors, so that the KF SDK does not need to search for the source code/scripts to go with such actors.

Or at least, that is my best guess. I haven't tried anything like what you are doing. I've noticed a lot of RO actors in the KF SDK so for all I know KF is just built on top of RO, in which case you WOULD expect all the actors to work.

On a side note, I'm surprised nobody ever ripped into the OP a year go when this thread created.
But I have no experience at map creation because I never had any live tutors and help with maps. Even the tutorial documents and youtube videos are not useful.
Big claim to say that tutorials "are not useful", and the insinuation that other mappers get 'live tutors'. I bet he never went through with his project with that attitude.

Upvote 0
hey thanks for your quick answer but i think you understand something wrong

i dont want to import a red orchestra map to killing floor i want to import an old red orchestra map from version 3.1 of red orchestra to the actualy one . :D

The problem is that the old red orchestra map in ut2 and now they are in rom files.

when i open the ut2 files in ro sdk that error come on my screen .

i rename the old maps from ut2 to rom but it dont work ingame and in red orchestra sdk i got the same error es in my previous post.

i think it would be great to play an old map in red orchestra because i want to see some other old good maps like danzig or krasnyoktyabre.

Upvote 0
Go into to RO 3.1 edtior (Found in the folder of the map or in the system folder of that) And delete the RO specific actor that caused the error. It says RODestroyableObjective that means you have to delete that from the map in the old editor,save the map then go to the new retail editor and load that map.

Upvote 0
Basicially you want to convert an a map from Red Orchestra for UT2004 to KF or RO, right? To do so, open the Red Orchestra mod editor, can be done by going into to Start menu -> All Programs -> Red Orchestra -> Red Orchestra Editor (Its really UT2004 editor just opened with the RO mod). The load the map you want to convert, delete the actors in the map that is causing the errors, rebuild, save, close the editor. Open the RO retail SDK and open a map, navigate to the RO mod folder, then maps, click on the bottom right of that window that says .rom and set it to anyfile. Load the desired map and if it gets an error again delete the other actors causing the error by following the previous steps.

Upvote 0
I thought we were talking about "Unreal Tournament 2004 Editor's Edition" not RO game.

You have to delete everything in the map other than the brushes/walls, floors and etc. Delete lights actors, models (meshes), jump pads, and everything that is not a brush. Why it has to be done? Everything is coded for .UT2 files and for not .ROM (KF1) or .KFM (KF2) besides the brushes. The unreal engine's brushes are programmed universal dated back from the start of UDK Version 2.5 aka UT2004 Unreal Engine. IF you want the models. Go ahead and do it, but you have to find a way to convert them one by one If you have the file(s) or redesign all of them either by yourself or someone else, basically it will mostly lead to redesign everything again...IF you don't have the original files.

:cool:
MOO!

Last edited:
Upvote 0