• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

[Game] MechWarrior 4 (Free release!)

Gauss rifles are a mech's best friend :p

Yeah, like I said, I'm still trying to find a comfortable control set. Couple things about the TT-

Center Torso over legs has to be held down to work. So you can't punch it once and snap back to center.

My TT also never seems to "stick." I.e., I'll start to TT, then it gradually keeps resetting back to center, usually while I'm trying to aim. Which makes me mouse to turn to correct....which fully centers me...which defeats the point of TT.

I'll have to fiddle with it some more.

Upvote 0
I still can't get the game :mad:

The damn torrent link is pulling like 2KB/s at best, most of the time it's nothing. Whereas this MTX program, man what a piece of ****, it is downloading at about 20KB/s however the thing which drives me bat**** insane about it is that you cannot pause the download. If you do so when you start it again it will start at 0%, right back at the very beginning. I found this out yesterday after downloading about 600MB of it and having to do a restart cause I was installing some stuff at the same time.

Is there any other place to get it?

EDIT: I just updated the MTX program then, thinking this might help the situation, now MW4 is not even in the list of available games... I'm not happy.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I still can't get the game :mad:

The damn torrent link is pulling like 2KB/s at best, most of the time it's nothing. Whereas this MTX program, man what a piece of ****, it is downloading at about 20KB/s however the thing which drives me bat**** insane about it is that you cannot pause the download. If you do so when you start it again it will start at 0%, right back at the very beginning. I found this out yesterday after downloading about 600MB of it and having to do a restart cause I was installing some stuff at the same time.

Is there any other place to get it?

EDIT: I just updated the MTX program then, thinking this might help the situation, now MW4 is not even in the list of available games... I'm not happy.

My torrent is going pretty quick - I've got about half the file downloaded when I had to get up off that computer. MTX, however ... I'm right there with you. It doesn't even show up in my list of what's available. (Of course, neither does anything else, though.)

WTF is the point of MTX?

Upvote 0
They claim it's so they can have a platform for automatic updates, instead of everyone updating piecemeal. That sort of makes sense when you see how many times MW4 gets patched by MTX before it's finally playable. Doing it manually would probably be as much of a PITA as updating Battlefield 2.

What causes the problems, I think, is that they are trying to combine a P2P platform with a game center....which results in neither working well. Imagine if Steam used a P2P download system instead of dedicated servers....I imagine it would look the same.

Obviously, they plan to release more stuff to justify MTX....but it seems pretty premature to develop something like that when you've got 1 re-released title, and one beta game.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Theoretically you should get good download speeds with p2p if many people want the same files at once and if you don't you can switch MTX to http-mode! It's a checkbox in the options somewhere. No guarantees that it's faster though...

At least it was possible in the old MTX version. I haven't installed the new one yet because it wants me to uninstall the old one first and I'd rather not mess with that.

Upvote 0
I think their master share settings are just whack. I was d/l at like 15k/sec...but I was uploading at over 100k/sec. I'm sure they wanted to get as many people seeding, figuring the longer they delay getting the game out to people, the more data they share out and help everyone else get it.

It just didn't work out that way, because no one is going to sit around for 4 hours to 2 days for a download. MTX also sets MW4 to seed indefinitely by default...which I'm sure doesn't help the program's performance at all.

Upvote 0
Ok, so this is really infuriating me now. I have finally gotten MTX to finish downloading MW4 however now when I try to run it it asks me to insert MW4 CD2 which I don' have as uh... this is meant to be a downloaded free release of MW4 right?!?!?!

So I have been googling this issue and apparently this is just a MW4 expansion, not a free release of MW4, well that's what some people are saying anyway. What the hell!?!?!

I think I might just throw in the towel here this is becoming a complete cluster ****.

Upvote 0
They released their updated version of the game a while ago but you still needed the cd in the drive until they had the green light for the free release. The free release was then just a small patch that mainly removed the cd-check. Check your game version. I guess it's .18 now. Click it and let it "Check for Updates" and then click the Update button in the lower right. This should bring it to .20, which is the free release version.

For those who just can't get this to work or just don't want to bother with it all, you can wait a few days. They are compiling an executable installer for the game now that can be downloaded and installed without MTX. We'll see how that goes (and how long it's going to take...)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Ok I got you Murphy, cheers for the advice, the only problem is MTX is in offline mode every time I launch it and won't connect, thus thwarting my attempts at updating :mad:

EDIT: It seems all I had to do was close and start the program over and over and over and eventually it deigned to let me connect. So I am updating to .20, it's curious how the first time I checked for an update it only updated to .18 and said it was up to date, I had to check again to get it to go to .20. You'd think checking for updates would bring it completely up to date, not just one step, oh well. Anyway last question, is there a way to run this game at 1920x1080???

Last edited:
Upvote 0
resurrected to see if any MW2 fans can help -

i'm pretty sure it was MW2 that i played in the late 90s not mercenaries but the first one (31st century ? and i beleive there was an addon for it too?)
I think there were a few different copies around, some of which support 3dfx and other card of it's day - like an enhanced edition.
Now I have seen a copy of mw2 re-release 'the essential collection' like a re-release predominately white.
So does anyone know anything about this version?
Overall what was the best MW game to get?
(i suspect all the MW2 ones..)

Upvote 0
I would be wary of that. I've been trying for years to get my hands on MW2 again (Ghost Bear's legacy, all that shiz) and I couldn't get any versions to work (the ones that weren't virus loaded pieces of ****.)

Even if you do get a working copy, I've heard it's notoriously hard to get working on today's OS's. I assume you can DOS-box it for best results.

Anyways, Mechwarrior 2 and Ghost Bear's Legacy are where I got into the franchise at the video game level. So it's where my fondest memories are.

Upvote 0