• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Have you taken "The LAR Challenge"?

avp2501

Grizzled Veteran
Jul 4, 2009
Lost in the land of Magic
To spice things up I've been giving myself certain restrictions when playing KF and this weeks restriction is:

The LAR

I have to survive 10 waves in at least normal difficulty and above online with a full squad.

The Rules:

• I'm only allowed to use the LAR and whatever other weapon I can carry.
  • The other weapons must only be used when trapped/surrounded by clots.
  • All heavies (FP/Scrake) Must be killed using the LAR.
  • Do not share any money with your team until the boss wave.
So if you are bored of waiting for the new patch why don't you take "The LAR Challenge"?

To spice things up I've been giving myself certain restrictions when playing KF and this weeks restriction is:

The LAR

I have to survive 10 waves in at least normal difficulty and above online with a full squad.

The Rules:

• I'm only allowed to use the LAR and whatever other weapon I can carry.
  • The other weapons must only be used when trapped/surrounded by clots.
  • All heavies (FP/Scrake) Must be killed using the LAR.
  • Do not share any money with your team until the boss wave.
So if you are bored of waiting for the new patch why don't you take "The LAR Challenge"?

I might try a LAW challenge :eek:...

Upvote 0
The other weapons must only be used when trapped/surrounded by clots.

lol, hows that a challenge then? I mean, if you gonna use your other weapons in "panic situations" its pretty much the same wether you used LAR or not, imo.

Do not share any money with your team until the boss wave.

... I guess thats supposed to make the game harder for you? Sorta lame not sharing money with your team tho.

Ive been playing with LAR, 9mm, HC combos as SS a lot simply because M14 is too powerful making the game way too easy, and crossbow is simply boring and takes the fun out of killing fleshpounds.

But I got another challenge for you.

Win a long game on solo on normal difficulty (or above) using knife only. And that means knife only, no matter what situation. However, for the Patriarch you are allowed to use other melee weapons.

I did that, 10 waves with knife and killed the Patty with katana. I even recorded it but havent uploaded it anywhere. It was fun :p

The reason you should do that in solo is rather obvious I think.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I think the Pacifist Challenge is quite amusing.

Pacifist Challenge rules: Don't. Kill. Anything.

Lure **** to your teammates, run around and kite them, but no killing is allowed.

This is best done with medic, as you're still able to do your job.
I did that before, in hard, medic 4 man team and survive until wave 9. 0 kill.
Didn't have screen though.

Upvote 0
I completed the LAR challenge on hard, LAR and shotgun, 5 players, KF-Farm:
Shot00060.jpg

Upvote 0
lol, hows that a challenge then? I mean, if you gonna use your other weapons in "panic situations" its pretty much the same wether you used LAR or not, imo.

Probably true. Maybe adjust that part in future challenges.

... I guess thats supposed to make the game harder for you? Sorta lame not sharing money with your team tho.

On Normal everyone was getting killed even with SCAR and M14 equiped and instead of sharing money I just threw around a bunch of LAR's. And it did actually make the game harder since everyone on the team only had tier 2 weapons at most. Those trader prices for low levels are crazy.

Ive been playing with LAR, 9mm, HC combos as SS a lot simply because M14 is too powerful making the game way too easy, and crossbow is simply boring and takes the fun out of killing fleshpounds.

SharpShooter is just overpowered in the first place which is why I never use him. My SS perk is only lvl 6 because of the 9mm and other perks using the LAR etc.

But I got another challenge for you.

Win a long game on solo on normal difficulty (or above) using knife only. And that means knife only, no matter what situation. However, for the Patriarch you are allowed to use other melee weapons.

I did that, 10 waves with knife and killed the Patty with katana. I even recorded it but havent uploaded it anywhere. It was fun :p

How the hell do you take down FPs and Scrakes with the knife, I can get to those waves using just the knife no problem but get slaughtered when the big guys come out.

The reason you should do that in solo is rather obvious I think.

Playing the game in solo makes it easier not harder. The zombies health isn't multiplied and you get less zombies to deal with. That's why I was suggesting the full squad.

Anyway, people set yourself some challenges and go out there and enjoy...gotta do something fun till this patch comes out

Upvote 0
I can get up to fleshpound waves on 3 player hard with just a machete, only on a map with lots of room to move about though, like defence or west london, but i change to an axe on FP waves

I did mine on Biotics Lab xD. Thats not exactly roomy, is it.

How the hell do you take down FPs and Scrakes with the knife, I can get to those waves using just the knife no problem but get slaughtered when the big guys come out.

Well, Scrakes are easy because they enrage only after their HP drops very low, and when that happens like 2 or so alt fire hits to the head will kill them. So basically, I just attack them, run back so they cant counter-attack, and do that until they enrage and then just finish them. Sure I will lose some HP there but he cant kill me.

Fleshpounds are a lot harder tho. But there is a little trick too. They only enrage when they see the player (most of the time lol) so I simply attacked them in corners and ran away so they could never enrage. But of course, I didnt always succeed and they raged anyway, BUT lvl 6 berserker on normal is almost as fast as the fleshpound so you can escape them pretty easilly.

Obviously I killed all smaller crap before attacking the bigger guys tho, so I cant get ambushed or cornered.

Playing the game in solo makes it easier not harder. The zombies health isn't multiplied and you get less zombies to deal with. That's why I was suggesting the full squad.

Yes, I know, BUT when playing with a full 6 man team you can just sit back and let everyone else do the killing. It might work better with LAR but if you use knife, it will be harder on solo because all specimens are attacking you AND you cant rely on your teammates to pop off fleshpounds and such.

Upvote 0
Yes, I know, BUT when playing with a full 6 man team you can just sit back and let everyone else do the killing. It might work better with LAR but if you use knife, it will be harder on solo because all specimens are attacking you AND you cant rely on your teammates to pop off fleshpounds and such.

On normal all the low lvls more or less died straight away so it was just me with LAR.

Anyway if anyone else whats to join-in a 6 man team of knifes only shout out. I'd love to give that a go.

Upvote 0

Lvl6 zerker can kill scarke with a knife without taking any damage while killing FP with a knife only or so is only a matter of really good timing.

FP doesn't rage as long as it can 'attack' once in a while (presuming you don't do too much damage in brief period of time) so if you go close enough, let it swing but dodge it you can keep kiting it forever - presuming you get the rhytm and pattern right. I've killed plenty of them with the katana and atleast two with knife only, other time on hard and other time on suicidal.

Basically you just gotta know what the hell you're doing and you need high level medic or a zerker for it :p

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Fleshpounds are a lot harder tho. They only enrage when they see the player (most of the time lol) so I simply attacked them in corners and ran away so they could never enrage. But of course, I didnt always succeed and they raged anyway, BUT lvl 6 berserker on normal is almost as fast as the fleshpound so you can escape them pretty easilly.

Is it really a challenge when you use any level six perk on normal?

Upvote 0