• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Damaged tracks only temporarily?

Actually a very good idea. If crew will evacuate (by some means, but how?) when the tank is immobilized, they could save half of reinforcement points amount by doing that. Not all, since the tank is lost, allthough the crew is not.

There just should be the way how to do the evacuation and spawning again. What would be the mechanics in that?

Just typing in console "evacuate" or something more realistic and better? Should it be like that, when the crew destroys the immobilized tank by "self-destruction" explosive the crew is "evacuated" or something else, I don

Upvote 0
tanks could move if the tracks were hit... one side would still work... yes it would drive in circles and rather erratically but it could still move. if the transition was hit... that's a different story.

This is kinda flightsimmy but it applies to tanks just as much as it does planes... oil/coolant if damaged should make the engine overheat and seize up. If a oil was hit, oil fires were a very real problem... also if the engine is running at full power for too long it would over heat (this would only apply to the Tiger if they add the turret speed and engine revs).

I'm no tank expert, but it might depend on how the differential works. I understand a few tanks (such as the Tiger) was capable of independent track rotation, so that wouldn't be a problem. But if other tanks have a more conventional (car w/o positraction) drive-train, it might be impossible to get power to the working track.

For example, watch Melisa Tomei's explanation of of a split differential in "My Cousin Vinnie." If one drive wheel has no resistance (because the track was broken and falls off), all power would channel to that resistanceless broken drive wheel. On the other hand, if the road wheels were jammed, not allowing the drive wheel to move, you would get twice the power to the intact track.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I'm up for scuttling / sabotaging your tank, it would help with an issue I had in heaps while playing DH the other day; I got my StuG3 caught in a ditch, and I then was killed by a tank round I think, and had to run from spawn to the front lines to collect my still stuck tank, and I was then killed when I stuck my head out of the MG hatch!

I would have set the self-destruct timer as soon as I fell into that ditch if the feature had been in the game.

Upvote 0
No, in that case I think actual "trench forwarding distance" needs to be modeled for tanks as currently tanks get stuck in unrealistically small holes and spaces for example I believe the Tiger I could traverse a 10 foot trench without getting stuck. This would greatly reduce the issues with getting tanks stuck in maps as well as those "new" players whom would be stunned to find that they can no longer get the limited ( 1 respawn only) vehicle stuck in a little slit trench anymore.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kashash and Hackel
Upvote 0
I'm no tank expert, but it might depend on how the differential works. I understand a few tanks (such as the Tiger) was capable of independent track rotation, so that wouldn't be a problem. But if other tanks have a more conventional (car w/o positraction) drive-train, it might be impossible to get power to the working track.

For example, watch Melisa Tomei's explanation of of a split differential in "My Cousin Vinnie." If one drive wheel has no resistance (because the track was broken and falls off), all power would channel to that resistanceless broken drive wheel. On the other hand, if the road wheels were jammed, not allowing the drive wheel to move, you would get twice the power to the intact track.

YouTube - My Cousin Vinny - Expert Witness 3

I freaking love that movie :D

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Yeah I like that...maybe have a sabotage option for the crew and have like 20 seconds to get out and run away. Even get a point for actually doing it and not gettng your self blown up in the process. Hitch a ride back to spawn or run back....or get mowed down running back either way would be cool. I disapprove of the auto repair after 2-3 minutes idea.

You will not be able to exit a tank in HoS in the first place, this has already been confirmed many times.

Upvote 0
Tanks were abandoned all the time IRL, when they were damaged. Sad but true.

Buts since we are talking about game, in game it can and usually does feel dumb if your tank gets immobilised in a totally useless spot etc. And it would be nice if there was also another option for the crew of that kind of tank than suicide.

But making it the way you suggested appears to me as very unsatisfying solution.

The first piece of metal made a hole in the fuel tank.

I jumped out of the T-34, I don't know how,

And then they called me to the Special Department.

"Why aren't you burnt, along with the tank, you bastard?"

"I'll burn in the next attack" I answered.

Upvote 0